Need some starter help

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
backwoodsnwater
Southern Airboat Member

Need some starter help

Postby backwoodsnwater » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:47 am

IMG_0071.JPG
Just bought a 14' alumatech with a Glen Treadwell built 500 Cadillac dd. First trip out boat cranked up and ran excellent. Shut it off to take a lil break and when I went to crank it back up this happened. Does this look like alignment problem or a cheap starter problem, looks new but says remanufatured in Malaysia. Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_0075.JPG

DIAMONDBACK54
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Need some starter help

Postby DIAMONDBACK54 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:44 pm

I have a 383 stroker. Had starter trouble and friend introduced me to a Finish Line starter. No more trouble. Got it at a NAPA stoe
Attachments
20161226_123357-1.jpg

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Most likely starter fit. as no the started was fine but did not exactly fit right. did it whine when cranking.

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby happy harold » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:00 am

make sure your front brace is fastened from the starter end to block. might need to build or buy a new bracket.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:49 pm

My Cadillac did that a few times when it was hot. I went to a push button starter and a Switch for the ignition. I could spin it then hit the ignition.

With that said do you have the timing locked out, running a hotter plug, or low octane fuel in a high compression motor all of these could cause that when starting.

I never ran anything but a stock starter, if I was going to change it would be something like a powermaster, they have one that is 7lbs for a caddy. If I was going to spend the money I could get a lightweight starter.

Engine could not have been built by a better builder.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:58 pm

One Eyed Gator wrote:My Cadillac did that a few times when it was hot. I went to a push button starter and a Switch for the ignition. I could spin it then hit the ignition.

With that said do you have the timing locked out, running a hotter plug, or low octane fuel in a high compression motor all of these could cause that when starting.

I never ran anything but a stock starter, if I was going to change it would be something like a powermaster, they have one that is 7lbs for a caddy. If I was going to spend the money I could get a lightweight starter.

Engine could not have been built by a better builder.
I agree with what OEG has posted here, and add that if the timing has been altered from how Glen had it set up, that is the first place to look for your cause.

I will also add that when dealing with a rebuild starter like that, sure it may look new, but if it already had a hard life, that metal nose can and will break like old brittle pot metal.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Have you spoken to Glen Treadwell ?

First place I would start is to discuss it with him to get his advice and validate it is one of his engines.

Lots of things it can be from simple to complex.

Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Duff0113 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:02 pm

Looks like an alignment or shimming issue. check the flywheel for any wobble and etc. bolts may also have been over tightened at one point making the aluminum a ticking bomb.

backwoodsnwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby backwoodsnwater » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:22 pm

The man I bought the boat from has all receipts and build specs from Glen, says timing has not been adjusted since he picked it up from Glen but I might need to get with Glen about timing because the motor doesn't want to shut down when you turn it off. Seller said it had never ran on nothing but 93 octane and that's what I filled the tank up with. Definitely going with a good high torque starter. Thanks for all the input.

backwoodsnwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby backwoodsnwater » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:41 pm

IMG_0058.JPG

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:34 pm

Did he give you all these receipts ?

Can you share some of the specs.

backwoodsnwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby backwoodsnwater » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:16 am

Swamphunter45, pm'd you the specs

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby nebraskaairboater » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:43 am

Mine did that when I first switched to the Caddy. Went through 3 new starters cracked the same way. Mine was a timing issue. Knock on wood haven't had an issue since. (and I don't have the bracket from the back of the starter to the block) Mine was cracking when I was first trying to get it running with a new distributor and had not had a light on it yet. I'd put a light on it and make sure you don't have too much advance in it when warm. If you have the distributor locked out at a set timing you may need to run a setup like OEG and get it spinning before you put power to the coil. The run on could be a symptom of too much advance as well. Sometimes that can be helped slightly by letting the engine idle for a few min before you shut it down. Make sure the idle is set low. Mine idles around 500 rpm.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 500 Cadillac/ 2.12:1 Rotator / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Striker543 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:27 am

I had that problem on my Caddy as well. I believe the cause was I was missing a bracket that goes on the stock starter (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

After I locked the distributor, I went to a push button starter so I could get it spinning before clicking on the ignition.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”