Airboat Engine Builds - Automotive

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Airboat Engine Builds - Automotive

Postby CarMotorBarge » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:06 am

The funny thing is that the 542 Cadillac makes substantially more torque, but doesn't turn anymore prop. :stirpot:
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:52 am

Here is the difference CMB your talking about spinning 4 S blades with a LS, but I actually do it with the old 542 inch Cadillac!

On my boat there is no need for hearing protection, the neighbors don't complain and the ride is relaxing. This engine was built to net fish not for max power, we idle up on the schools and throw the nets then kill the power, cull and restart. This boat was a direct drive 514 when originally built as that was all we really needed. Deano saw the old DD set up and it was no slouch (76 NGQ pitched@3) but now we fish less and run a lot more dry loaded up. This created a need for big power and a retrofit to a gear drive was undertaken for which "Blue" knocked it out of the park with his craftsmanship. Without his assistance, I would probably be very limited with the ground game. (Thanks Brother)

Seems over my way there is a PoorBoys boat spinning 4 Maximus blades.....oh ya it's a Caddy and a big DB with 4 83 inch S blades, yep a Caddy also!

Any LS boat owners spinning 4 S blades feel free to pile on, would enjoy riding with you to compare. I am 100% pro LS like I said earlier we own an LS3 car and the purpose of this thread was to educate not hate. Mouse shares some good opinions on how with his experiences the tune and valve train are the critical base for that platforms survival on a boat. That can help others considering a salvage or crate build to prevent a problem. My belief is forged pistons are a must, but he is showing that for the budget minded a take out stock rotating assembly can work if the TUNE AND VALVE TRAIN are correct and all the systems around it are without fail or flaw. You LS guys who are running take out engines with FI on an unaltered auto profile EMC had best use this info and find a tuner.

OneEye is having great success with a carb version 5.3 and doing it having come from a DD Caddy platform.

For me right now the Branch built (Cadillac Performance Engineering) Cadillac engines offer everything I want and need with excellent technical support. My wife likes the ride quality and don't gripe about noise so I'm winning with that guys. I feel comfortable heading off knowing that Caddy is gonna bring me home without a hassle. Hell that engine owes me nothing, any LS stories about a freak oil pickup fail where you rode back home loaded, lifters clacking and didn't burn up the engine. I lived it, shared the story and pics. No bullshit that's a tuff and well built engine. When that happened Mr Branch said bring me that engine! It was not under a warranty but he tore into it, pulled the mains and inspected everything ZERO damage. Only cost was the gaskets and rear main seal. That is a engine builder I would recommend. For the record the oil was the home brew not an expensive synthetic or race oil!

You want more power, wait for the 555 to get completed, I will start a build thread soon.

Any Ford or Chrysler or Diesel guys want to jump in? Would welcome your input on those platforms and any required or suggested mods.

Capt steve
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Capt steve » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Been following this thread. Learning a lot! Keep it up guys. This is interesting stuff for us newbies.
100 ton master captain
Professional airboat operator
I made enough money to buy Miami,
But I pi$$ed it away so fast

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Don't you need brass freezeplugs too?

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:12 am

Great comment Wild Bill!

If your running salt water they are really a plus. In my engines I have stainless. They are a little more difficult to set but last forever.

Thanks for pointing that detail out to help others. Sometimes it's a small detail that can be overlooked which causes problems.

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:55 am

Well yesterday I ran the boat the hardest to date. Down here in Kissimmee we met some people at the ridge and decided to ride some marsh that is DRY. About 5 miles in all. Headers 3ft glowing bright red, 4000 to 5000 rpms the whole way with a short stop here an there. Don't really care to run her that hard again but we kinda got on the wrong trail. Met some cool people. Good times..
15' Alumitech deckover LSX TT Oxbox 84" JX 4-blade
Gas required Water optional :dontknow:
Built and Tuned by Me
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade

Life is short, eat your dessert first! :downtown:

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:15 pm

loudmouse which boat were you running?
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:08 pm

:stirpot: Kwan really ?

Mr Twin Turbo LS show up to the ride with an Eco-Tech :shock:

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:05 pm

LOL. Had a really good time.
Built and Tuned by Me

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:47 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote::stirpot: Kwan really ?

Mr Twin Turbo LS show up to the ride with an Eco-Tech :shock:

The Ecoturd will surprise you!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:03 pm

I didn't disrespect the "lil guy" it is just not my platform.

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Didnt' mean to imply you had either. :thumbleft:

:salute:
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:23 am

CarMotorBarge wrote:The funny thing is that the 542 Cadillac makes substantially more torque, but doesn't turn anymore prop. :stirpot:

Any of the boats I have seen spinning the 4 x S combo with "pitch" in them were big hp with gear or MudPups Caddy. My old fishing boat whips them up in a instant with a 2.37 that has earned some respect around here even with AC folks. Heck if ever there was a boat that ran these blades with having a bit of "snap" this one is probably it. Proof is in the prop and the old 542 is doing it reliably.

A turbo or FI 500+Inch Cadillac build would be cool maybe one day. Till then it's nitrous.

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:03 am

My experience with the s blades is great push down low and flat up top. Got a buddy with 3 of them behind a 572bbc 2.68 and he's not happy with the overall performance of the boat. They're pitched about 3 or 3.5 and he's spinning them 5800 I think. Boat runs about 50/55 mph. I prefer push and speed. :stirpot:
Built and Tuned by Me

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Only 3 blades with a 2.68 ?

Way over pitched for that blade Mouse.

They perform really well at 1.75 to just shy of the 2.5 on mark, you get up to 2.5 and beyond and it's beating air my opinion.

2.0 mark at 1950 to 2,000 is a great place to be you can choke it back even more and it will still push like a champ. If you want big speed the S blade is not the choice. You want to push a big or heavy load they are really a great blade.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Well, I was one of the boats running with loudmouse on Saturday and his boat is beast. He climbed the Ridge just barely patting the throttle and went everywhere he wanted go (almost. - ). He's a really great guy and look forward to spending time with him and Mrs. Mouse soon! Enjoyed the day, sir!

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk[/url]
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:20 pm

loudmouse wrote: we kinda got on the wrong trail

digginfool wrote: Well, I was one of the boats running with loudmouse on Saturday

loudmouse now we know why you got lost and had to run the sh*t outta your twins!! :stirpot: :stirpot:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 pm

kwanjangnihm wrote:
loudmouse wrote: we kinda got on the wrong trail

digginfool wrote: Well, I was one of the boats running with loudmouse on Saturday

loudmouse now we know why you got lost and had to run the sh*t outta your twins!! :stirpot: :stirpot:
I'm not so sure about that. Can't blame nobody but the mouse for that move!

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk[/url]
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:32 pm

As a general rule when in a strange place FOLLOW THE LOCALS who know where they are going :slap:

If something like this was gonna happen the Diggin Fool would be the first name to come to mind...lol

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Well thanks for the kind words Diggn. I enjoyed everyones company and loved the ride. And that we did. Even when the water was only a few feet away and I couldn't get there. :oops: Thanks for the push Jason from Jax. BTW the marsh trip was after dark with total strangers and I WAS following. Think they was tryn me boat out but found out I'm not a quitter. Thanks Steve W for the mud boggn :violent1: Boat performed flawless and again the all the next day. Ready for the next one.
Built and Tuned by Me

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby ffjpowell » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Anytime bud. Great to meet u n Celeste (spelling? ) It was def a great weekend and couldn't have asked for better company. Always a pleasure. Will def get up with u soon for a ride. B safe all.

What the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind of man can achieve.

Live today like theirs no tommorrow.

New build on the way!!!!!! Stay tuned.

J. Powell

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby CarMotorBarge » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:
CarMotorBarge wrote:The funny thing is that the 542 Cadillac makes substantially more torque, but doesn't turn anymore prop. :stirpot:

Any of the boats I have seen spinning the 4 x S combo with "pitch" in them were big hp with gear or MudPups Caddy. My old fishing boat whips them up in a instant with a 2.37 that has earned some respect around here even with AC folks. Heck if ever there was a boat that ran these blades with having a bit of "snap" this one is probably it. Proof is in the prop and the old 542 is doing it reliably.

A turbo or FI 500+Inch Cadillac build would be cool maybe one day. Till then it's nitrous.

When determining how much prop a motor spins, you have to look at what prop, how much pitch, and what RPMs the prop is spinning at. Analysis on how the 542 Cadillac does boils down to this.

1. The 4 blade S is a big prop.

2. Being pitched at 2 is barely adequate.

3. The prop RPM of 1764 (4200 engine RPM / 2.38 ratio) is very low. This is easily proved when you take the prop RPM of 1764 with a 3.26 gear ratio and you only get 5750 engine RPMs. A 3.26 ratio is a ton of gear.

The prop RPM is very low and the pitch is only 2 because the 542 Cadillac isn't making enough reliable torque and corresponding HSP between 4000 and 6000 RPMs. The proof is definitely in the prop. :stirpot:
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Pills Math

Where are the others spinning 4xS at honest 2 plus thru a 2.37...... SHOW ME

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Only 1 person I know runs the s blade and he doesn't like it unless he is riding alone :banghead: when around others he hates his boat. An it has 700hp.
Built and Tuned by Me

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:44 am

Wrong set up for him Mouse.

He wants more speed and is also short a blade forcing him to over pitch. He is beating air and would be far better served running the old "R" or "NGR", demo a four blade he may see his speed increase adding the additional "S" blade but with his engine the "R" blades would be better for sport use.

If my set up advanced to a three pitch setting or beyond, personally I would add another blade. Probably the high cost has required him to remain in the over pitch, the purchase of a 4 or 5 blade hub is quite a jump in price.

If parts and time were endless I would like to try a 5 "R" set up and a 2:1 ratio see what that would give on dry ground.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”