500 Caddy Rebuild

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Christie
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

500 Caddy Rebuild

Postby Christie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Need some help with advise on an engine builder near Orlando who can work on cadillacs. Nothing fancy, just a rebuild of a 500 caddy to make it DD capable again. I’ve got the blown 500 plus a ‘72 and ‘74 for spares. :fishing

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: 500 Caddy Rebuild

Postby Striker543 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:18 am

Buddy branch is near Orlando, but you’re talking a lot of money to get him to build you an engine. Parts are so expensive now that even doing a rebuild yourself is going to cost over 2k

Christie
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Christie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Still cheaper than most AV motors I’d reckon though? I found Gerald & Charlie’s in Sanford who will rebuild it fairly reasonably. They’ll use the edelbrock 2115 aluminum intake, cloyes timing chain, plug the thermostat port and chamfer the bearing to lube the thrust bearing. Keeping valve train stock with new springs since I’m gonna stay DD. Anything I’m leaving out?

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Christie wrote:Keeping valve train stock with new springs since I’m gonna stay DD. Anything I’m leaving out?

Clarification is in order regarding 'stock valve train with new springs'.

Stock design is in fact sufficient for DD RPMs. 40+ year old parts are not.
The factory springs were insanely weak, only 65 lbs. on the seat. As long as the new springs are UPGRADED and NOT stock
replacement parts, that is correct. You want more like 110 lbs. Valves floating <3k RPMs is not something that aids longevity.

The other thing to be aware of is that the oil pump needs a good massage and is all confirmed proper. Especially if it is a new one.
Melling's Quality Control left the building eight or ten years ago, and that's all that is available. The plunger/bypass is a known trouble spot.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Christie
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Christie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Roger, thanks Delano. I’ll ensure he does the upgraded springs. Old engine had a valve train failure so you’re spot-on with the input.

Second question is about the cam for it? I’ll do a search, but any advice on cam? Dropped both 500’s off today and have a bit of time to figure out a cam for DD application. Will be gone to wonderful Fort Polk, LA and then Fort Irwin,CA after that so have lotsa time to wait on the build.

V/R,
Bryce
Bryce

Christie
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Christie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:18 pm

Hate spellcheck. Turned Deano into someone else!

Anyhow, thinking about getting a B Branch DD cam.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:58 am

IMO, you won't go wrong with one of Buddy's cams. That could be the debatably best option there is in that regard.
I would suggest you call him about availability and confirm what you are getting for your money so your builder is
not duplicating parts acquisitions. I believe Buddy sells his cams already degreed and pinned. If I'm correct in that
regard, your builder would not need to get a timing set as you would be getting the good Cloyes set with your cam.

One last note, so you are aware. This will be incredibly obvious to any competent machine shop/builder with Cadillac
experience, but all shops do not fit that profile (in spite of making that claim). Pistons and Heads are NOT necessarily
interchangeable. There were multiple piston & head designs over the years. The replacement pistons HAVE TO match the heads
used. There are multiple horror stories on this board documenting the aftermath of such a scenario. Don't let this happen to you.
If you are taking multiple engines to the shop, it's imperative that you (and especially them) are aware of these realities.

With that having been said and given that you have time to do it right, you should learn to exploit the [Search] feature on
this board and read all that for yourself. The right and wrong ways to do what you are proposing are all documented here.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:07 pm

There are a few shops that can rebuild a Caddy but not many that can keep one running for years on an airboat. They think they know more than they do and try to treat it like a Chevy.

My 2 cents

Christie
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Christie » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Roger guys. I've been going over the 3,000 or so threads on 472/500Cadillacs and have been printing off the "wisdom" that applies to this build. Calling Buddy tomorrow to see if he's got the DD cam available.

Thanks again for the help.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:16 pm

Might as well buy the kit

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Curious how much Gerald and Charlie are charging you to rebuild your core?

Christie
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Christie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:55 pm

PM sent

Return to “Automotive Power Only”