Ugh! Box dilemma! HELP!

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Ugh! Box dilemma! HELP!

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:13 am

That is what I was thinking CMB, it would offer a bit more leverage with pitch if he wanted to use it.

I like a 2.55 but it puts the engine to it's lower rpm range but being a standard stroke build may not be optimum.
The decision to go 2.55 in my opinion would be made because of a lower cam duration or need for the blade to have a higher rpm like in the case of a Whirlwind 2.0 was this a choice of the builder or recommended by the prop company.

Your really close either way but the 2.68 may offer more prop tuning ability.

Beebo
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Beebo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:46 am

Welp, lol, after staying up until around 0200 and doing more reading, I am going to order a 2.68. I am hoping that it combined with my motor and a 3 blade JX will be a good combo for what I am looking for. I'm not looking for a speed demon, I want the ability to move my boat loaded for fishing.

Beebo
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Beebo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:50 am

Thanks again everyone for your advice and knowledge! I am brand new to this world and this is my first airboat. Y'all have a great community on here and have been super awesome in leading me in the right direction with this simple dilemma of mine! Thanks again! I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do it, lol!

BGREEN427
Southern Airboat Member

Postby BGREEN427 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:36 pm

Can you be talked out of the stinger? Nothing Negative to say but Ox Box is very nice piece. Owned by people who ride airboats willing to help anyway they can.

bkmail
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bkmail » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:17 am

Go 2.68, more snap too. A little more torque roll possibly. Go Stinger, awesome boxes!
Put more pitch in it and you will likely get more push out of it at lower rpm as well.

Bk
https://www.bkmarineservices.com
https://m.facebook.com/BKMarineServices

502 BBC on a 18' Alumitech 2.68 Stinger box, w/84" 4 blade Whisper Tip Whirlwind blades.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:55 am

Nearly every company making a gear drive for airboats has a excellent product in this day and age. I have heard people talk negative about Rotator saying they are "rock crushers," only to run one throwing incredible Stroker Cadillac torque and nitrous at it and mine is quiet as most with comparable run time on them. We have run Redline Heavy Shockproof in it since new and change it every 25-40 hours. The magnetic drain plug rarely has more than a tiny bit of dust like particles on it. Not bad for the power that big bastard throws at it. As with everything maintaining it will help to ensure a long service life.

The Rotator and Stinger are cast housings. Ballistic, Ox an Torque are machined billet CNC making them a more attractive component.

Ox and Stinger are both somewhat local to me so if I purchase a new ratio (2.55) it would probably be one of those and I would lean toward the Ox.

Don't think you can go wrong with any of the major manufacturers.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:38 pm

This is a weird Post?
Beebo abandoned the original intent of the post, But I would love to see his face when he tries to twist a JX at 5.5 - 6K with a 2.55 assuming the JX is still an option?

Beebo
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Beebo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:43 am

I was originally trying to decide between a used 2.88 and 2.09 box for my boat. I found both at really good deals and was trying to determine if either was a viable option for my setup. But, after listening to the members, I discovered that neither was appropriate and simply ordered a new 2.68 stinger. I didn't intentionally abandon the original intent or try to create an odd or weird post, I was just trying to make a wise choice due to my lack of experience, and I feel I have after listening to everyone's advice and opinions. Thanks again guys! Yall rock!

Beebo
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Beebo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Just an update, guys. I took delivery about a month ago and have a few rides on the boat. I was extremely nervous about the JX prop, but more than happy that I went that route. The motor turns around 5950-6000 WOT. I haven't stayed in WOT for more than 2-3 seconds due to inexperience and, although slightly embarrassed to admit it, a little fear until I have more stick time. I wish I could figure out how to post a video, but I am obviously not technically intelligent enough, lol! Anyway, just wanted to post an update and say thanks again everyone! The 2.68 stinger with the 3 blade 82" JX was perfect for my setup!

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby CarMotorBarge » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 am

Glad to hear that it worked out. 8)
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

dodobird
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby dodobird » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm

bob_esper wrote:No one recommends the 2.37 ratios? got me curious how much difference i'd notice changing mine to a 2.5. .
I went from 2.12 to a 2.37 then to a 2.68 I'd never go back its night and day difference to me .......

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk[/url]
13' laser 360sbc oxdrive 2.68 .... 80" 3 blade whispertip ex :florida:

dodobird
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby dodobird » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:00 pm

dodobird wrote:
bob_esper wrote:No one recommends the 2.37 ratios? got me curious how much difference i'd notice changing mine to a 2.5. .
I went from 2.12 to a 2.37 then to a 2.68 I'd never go back its night and day difference to me .......

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk[/url]
Opps didn't realize how old this post was

13' laser 360sbc oxdrive 2.68 .... 80" 3 blade whispertip ex :florida:

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Brotherbob » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:45 pm

I have ran a 450HP (dyno proven) SBC with a 2.88 Stinger with a 78" 3 blade WW super wide on a 15x8 Air Ranger..my boat is super heavy and a real fun hot rod.
Ran it 8-9 years now , engine has been apart twice for dumb shit , dropped a pick up tube...cooked the bearings but i'd do it again.
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!

Return to “Automotive Power Only”