Car motor longevity

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Keeth1123
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Car motor longevity

Postby Keeth1123 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:12 pm

Curious as to how many people have logged a lot of hours on their car motors? Trying to gauge the reliability of them holding up to the abuse. I’m typically running 2,800 to 3,000 to cruise and 3,800 to 4,500 on the ground depending on conditions. Ran with some a/c boys that had me cursing at 3,600 :shock:

Who has had a v8 and been wearing it out with good results
:old_glory:

Keeth1123
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Car motor longevity

Postby Keeth1123 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Ps. Trying not to open a can of worms. Don’t want to read a pissing match between the to. I simply wanna hear from other car motor owners who have longevity on their rigs.

crazycoonass
Southern Airboat Member

Postby crazycoonass » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 pm

I've seen some go over 2000 hours and I've seen some that didn't make 2 hours. A lot of factors lead to longevity. How it's built. How it's driven. And how it's maintained. I would say a factory crate engine or a decent custom build with proper maintenance and keeping it within the safe rpm operating range should last a good long time. How long? Who knows. Maybe not 2000 but certainly more than 2 hours.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:08 am

Waterthunder wrote: We have a ton of 418s with well over a thousand hours, 2 thousand even two in the glades with over 3 thousand hours
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby CarMotorBarge » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:54 am

Keeth1123 wrote:Curious as to how many people have logged a lot of hours on their car motors? Trying to gauge the reliability of them holding up to the abuse. I’m typically running 2,800 to 3,000 to cruise and 3,800 to 4,500 on the ground depending on conditions. Ran with some a/c boys that had me cursing at 3,600 :shock:

Who has had a v8 and been wearing it out with good results

Really depends on which V8, the tune, and the cam and valve train. Running a stock Cadillac at 3600 RPMs all day is asking for problems. A properly built LS will handle 3600 all day no problem.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

Keeth1123
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Keeth1123 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 am

I see. I only wonder this cause I notice that in a truck you hardly ever run steady over 2k it seems.

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Duece » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 am

I had my builder tell me that they get 2-3000 hrs on some of the crate motors they put in tour boats. Again, I'm sure this is if they are properly maintained. I've got close to 500 on mine and it's 14 years old and still running strong.

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby unforgiven11B » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pm

As stated above many variables are in the question here. I have friends with LS engines built by excellent builders and have well over 2-2.5k hrs and don’t show any signs of slowing down anytime soon. With that said I’ve seen brand new “crate” engines “eBay specials” LS/Sbc/bbc throw rods, eat cams, drop valves, etc. in less than 10hrs.If engine whether aircraft or auto is not maintained nor operated properly it will not last no matter the application. Guy in my clubs had same engine for 30 yrs no rebuilding. No telling the hours on that. As far as the RPMS if it’s built to run high rpms it should last if not and you spin it up your on barrowed time. The Lq4 on my boat was built in 07’ it’s a straight crate engine Levitator/ PCM gets from GM and throws their fuel pressure cell, computer and plastic cover on runs excellent not a single issue from it but I meticulously maintain it and tho it has rev limiter I don’t wind it up all the time nor ramp on constantly.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:59 pm

My experience dont get a SB chevy get a big block caddy or ls1.

Keeth1123
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Keeth1123 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:08 am

What type of maintencaine Schedule are y’all running. Be more specific please to anyone who stated proper maintenance e

ACO1209
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ACO1209 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:06 am

I currently have 1500+ Hrs and going up weekly on a SBC 385 fastburn and it lives its life between 3200-4900 oil change every 25hrs still going strong

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby unforgiven11B » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:31 am

I treat my airboat like an aircraft! It’s inspected before, during and after use EVERY time. Oil and filter changed at a maximum every 45-50 hrs, coolant is changed bi annually or at least annually regardless of extended life coolant. Every oil change I go over every bolt and insure it is snug or retorqued, all bolts on engine, fuel rails, alt.bolts everything! Use top quality oil and filter, I run a mobile 1 301 or Royal purple filter out of all test they are top. I have buddy that does oil filter swap at approximately 50 hrs and does oil only every 100 hrs, no issues with is motors at all either. Keeping you operating temps down to 170ish will increase longevity ten fold. On my rig a lot of folks I’ve talked with say I go a little over board on maintenance and inspection however it’s not me I’m worrying about it’s someone else getting hurt because I didn’t do something or could have prevented it. I do walk around constantly looking for anything loose or cracked. I change fuel/water separator filter and fuel cell filters once a year. I have a schedule or routine I don’t stay from so I don’t get complacent and forget to check something. This is just how I do it I am sure I have forgot a few things I check and I’m sure others will chime in on what they do or don’t do to keep running without wearing out an engine.

Keeth1123
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Keeth1123 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:50 am

unforgiven11B wrote:I treat my airboat like an aircraft! It’s inspected before, during and after use EVERY time. Oil and filter changed at a maximum every 45-50 hrs, coolant is changed bi annually or at least annually regardless of extended life coolant. Every oil change I go over every bolt and insure it is snug or retorqued, all bolts on engine, fuel rails, alt.bolts everything! Use top quality oil and filter, I run a mobile 1 301 or Royal purple filter out of all test they are top. I have buddy that does oil filter swap at approximately 50 hrs and does oil only every 100 hrs, no issues with is motors at all either. Keeping you operating temps down to 170ish will increase longevity ten fold. On my rig a lot of folks I’ve talked with say I go a little over board on maintenance and inspection however it’s not me I’m worrying about it’s someone else getting hurt because I didn’t do something or could have prevented it. I do walk around constantly looking for anything loose or cracked. I change fuel/water separator filter and fuel cell filters once a year. I have a schedule or routine I don’t stay from so I don’t get complacent and forget to check something. This is just how I do it I am sure I have forgot a few things I check and I’m sure others will chime in on what they do or don’t do to keep running without wearing out an engine.

Good Information and thank you for the direction.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:11 am

I have built 4 ls gulf fishing boats (2) with 5.3's and (2) with 6.0's. The 1st 2 5.3 motor were straight out of the junkyard and put msd setup on it.
Motor had 113K verified miles on it when we put it on the boat over 7 years ago. It is on a heavy alumitec deckover with very little running bottom. Takes 3,800 to be on plane loaded for fishing usually running it about 4-4200 for 45minute to an 1.5hr on the way and maybe 4-5hrs for the day, but it gets run very hard.

1st 6.0 has been running for 2 yrs and was bought with verified 68k on it, Started EFI then after some issues we changed it back to a carb, but motor is stock.

2nd 5.3 was unknown bought it from a buddy that got off craigslist, lol, so who knows. That motor was on my boat for 4 years. Cruise was 3600 loaded for a day of fishing and 3 people. Took it off still running great to replace with a 6.0 and a mild cam.

Then I got the 2nd 6.0 with an unknown history. Stock used bottom end with reworked heads, truunion bushing kit, chromoly pushrods (proper length for my cam) and new timing set, lifters trays and lifters. Runs very well had it running for a year. How to swap it to EFI and see how it holds up to the saltwater

I certainly have not put over 1000 hrs on one but have close to that on the one 5.3.

I do change my oil at around 50-75hrs, but change filter every 25hrs or so. The walk around inspection before you ride and while your out the is something for any boat. An airboat is something that is trying to tear itself apart when you running it and that required constant minor maintenance in my opionion

Only real weak points about an LS are the rocker bearings, early year lifters, stock springs and pushrods .

crazycoonass
Southern Airboat Member

Postby crazycoonass » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 pm

I change my oil and filter about every 20 hrs. Use a quality oil and filter. Change fuel filters. I have aluminum heads. Fast idle engine until it comes up to temp. I never push a cold engine. Never run it hot either. My engine is rated for 5500 rpm's. I'm pitched at 5000. Stay within your engine's safe rpm range. Periodically check timing. Learn to read spark plugs. A lean engine is a time bomb. I don't know what type of valves and rockers your engine has. Periodically check valve settings. I'm running a roller cam and roller rockers. Not much to adjust but we still look at them every other year or so. Check the guide plates and the valve tips and rollers for wear. Check everything for tightness. I had a .50 cent carb stud break sending my carb cover into the prop totally destroying it along with part of the cage and the rudders. One eyed gator said an airboat is trying to destroy itself when you are running it and he's not lying!

Return to “Automotive Power Only”