Cadillac - Gear Drive Ratio

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Cadillac - Gear Drive Ratio

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:37 am

Is anyone currently running a 2.55 ratio on the Cadillac 472/500 series engine platform ?

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Cadillac - Gear Drive Ratio

Post by Deano » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:36 am

I will be very surprised if you get many (if any) affirmative responses to that question.
As you are already able to surmise, such a setup properly done, would be an animal without question. :shock:

As nothing more than a casual observer, I would say that while there are a few hard core Cadillac fans
remaining, you are among the last with a sufficient budget and willingness to pursue such an endeavor. 8)

Over time there have been a few (most of them admittedly stubborn by nature :lol: ) that played the Caddy
game at that level, but the ones of which I am aware have since thrown in the towel in favor of other options
that are more bank account friendly and/or provided increased longevity.

Simply put, there are just to many more cost effective and longer lived means of attaining the same end. :dontknow:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Branch Fantasy555.jpg
pic is my in progress build 555cid

JohnC ran a flat tappet mechanical Branch 520 on a 2.68 drive for a while years back, he sold it to FireDuck who ran that engine for several more years before a slipped hose cooked it. Guess we will have to see how it goes for me but this next one is gonna push the limits of the platform in every area. For the old Cadillac guys these engines coming out of the shop today would have been a Fantasy.

There are a few new advancements for the 472/500 platform coming out soon. Extreme stuff out of the reach of most but some folks in Illinois are toying with Billet Blocks, carbon fiber rods and some other revised valve train components. Nothing in the market yet but concept stuff. May just fall by the wayside, but if your married to the platform it's nice to hear that R&D is being done.

The more folks who abandon the platform the more core parts for the faithful...lol

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:37 am

I'm running 2.09 Ox on mine

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Nice looking build, Swamphunter. I'm just a poor boy, and ill equipped to put up that kind of money, but I recently purchased a cad comp quadrajet and an edelbrock performer 2115 alum intake to install before I head to S FL for some riding. Already has 120 RV cam and some other small mods. Been thinking for a while about putting a 1.76/1 gear box in, but that would necessitate new prop as well. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out.

Coastslider
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Coastslider » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:22 pm

What heads are on that thing Swamp

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:43 am

I have run a 2.37 on my 542 but this engine is set to run up a little higher. The 2.55 will be close but the 2.37 may work well too. It is all the unknowns as this platform is a new blueprint. The heads are the "BoogieMan" series, I call them "MonkeyFuk" because the geometry is different and you can not run a conventional shaft. It uses it's own independent shaft with off set rockers. Of course no one tells you this until you get them and find out nothing fits.

dodobird
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by dodobird » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:20 am

Buddy of mine is running a 500 caddy with 2.68 rotator with 4 blade master blaster it has cam n shaft rockers

Sent from my [device_name] using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk
13' laser 360sbc oxdrive 2.68 .... 80" 3 blade whispertip ex :florida:

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Deano wrote: Simply put, there are just to many more cost effective and longer lived means of attaining the same end
SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote: The more folks who abandon the platform the more core parts for the faithful...
Your ill-fated devotion to that ancient Cadillac sorcery has not helped you conjure up concentrated torque nor given you clairvoyance to harness dormant horsepower ……….. (quote from the CM dark side) :stirpot: :toothy7: :violent1:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

dodobird
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by dodobird » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:02 pm

500 with 2.68 4 blade master blaster
imagejpeg_0(14).jpg
Sent from my [device_name] using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk
13' laser 360sbc oxdrive 2.68 .... 80" 3 blade whispertip ex :florida:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:15 pm

An old MasterBlaster!

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 pm

I thought the purpose of a caddi was to get the low end torque and not run a box. When you put a box on it, especially more than 1.5 to 1 you may as well put a stock 6.0 ls on it. It takes a lot of money to get that platform to live it the upper rpm range. If you just want a big block, a BBC or BBF will get you the same cubes for 1/2 the price. Hell a 521 stroker kit for a bbf is only $1500 and requires zero block work except for a .030 bore, and the aluminum heads are $1800 complete. I have one in a 1979 f150 that makes 609 hp at 5600rpm and 690 lbs at 3800 rpms with a tiny hyd roller cam. Dyno ed at Powered by Ford in Orlando. I have 6k in it and still weights 150lbs less than an aluminum headed caddi.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:51 pm

Never enough power and married to the Caddy!

Looks like a cool build them old trucks are bringing good $ when done up right

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:05 pm

One more!
Attachments
004.JPG

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:03 am

Well, since Sears is on it's last leg also, who is going to coin "Die-Hard" other than the Movies.

Someone needs to look at the new Caddies at twice the economy and half the cost?
Napa- 1970's caddie starter= 2-3 days out?

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:34 am

If anyone is in need of a starter for the Cadillac with out a doubt Power Master XS 9511 is the way to go if you can swing the cost. While doing the current de-rig and upgrades we noticed the solenoid post was loose. I'm sure my Gorilla Grip put to much tension on that tiny post so my bad. Called Power Master in Chicago and they said sent it back to them. It went back for about $15 in a flat rate box from the local post office and a week later they had a brand new replacement at my door step no charge. Now that is service!

Proto that Advance Auto by the house has OEM starters if you know someone that still needs one in a pinch $49 exchange.

On another note going with an OX drive this go around maybe you can coach us on the install I understand it is a slightly different set up than the Rotator.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”