Carb question?

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Carb question?

Postby Shippee123 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:24 pm

I have a 13'6 alumitech with a 454 dd on it.
I use it primarily for gigging and riding. With the boat idling around if anyone moves from one side to the other or another person moves forward my idle jumps up 3 to 4 hundred rpms. I am thinking something to do with float level due but I am not an carb person. It has an edelbrock 4 barrel on it. Carb is setup as it came out of the box.
Should it be adjusted differently being it's on a boat that rocks back and forth? Runs great on plane and idles great just has the fluctuation at idle with movement.

Any help is appreciated

Art Shippee

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk[/url]
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Carb question?

Postby Rich Andrews » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Never run a carb traight out of a box if you want to preserve the longevity and performance of the motor. Send it to someone who is an expert. Money well spent
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:55 pm

What he said^ I have seen all kinds of bad stuff in out of the box carbs.

Get the manual and make sure every thing is correctly set-up ie float. Also look up tuning an Edlebrock. It is very basic and easy to tune. I have put 3 of them on buddies airboats (against my recommendation) and all required some type of tuning. All required different spring, metering rod and secondary jet. All 3 were very rich at WOT and Idle.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Rich Andrews » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:22 pm

9548815249- Ed MAck im his biggest fan and you will never get screwed over by the man. Just sent him a stubborn 1/4 mile guy who knew it all and said dam I was leaving a lot on the table
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

dodobird
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby dodobird » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Take that carb off n throw it in the dirt edelbrock should have never started building carbs they dont know what they are doing

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk[/url]
13' laser 360sbc oxdrive 2.68 .... 80" 3 blade whispertip ex :florida:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:31 am

My experience has been just the opposite the Edelbrock Thunder AVS series work great for me and I would recommend them. If your near Brooksville give Buddy Branch a call he has all the jets and parts to dial it in. They just started making a 650 annular booster that is awesome for the direct drive engines.

Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Shippee123 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:19 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:My experience has been just the opposite the Edelbrock Thunder AVS series work great for me and I would recommend them. If your near Brooksville give Buddy Branch a call he has all the jets and parts to dial it in. They just started making a 650 annular booster that is awesome for the direct drive engines.

Thanks

11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

Return to “Automotive Power Only”