Yamaha ring free. Fuel additive

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Basin_Runner355
Southern Airboat Member

Yamaha ring free. Fuel additive

Post by Basin_Runner355 »

Hey guys i was wondering if any of y’all ever tried to run the Yamaha ring free in car motors. I got a 4 stroke outboard and it talkabout cleaned that engine out. Just don’t wanna put anything in my airboat motor that might mess it up. It’s suposed to be a lubricant/ breaks up carbon.
14ft diamond back mild zz4 355sbc pushin 450 hp 450 TQ 2:1 belt drive reduction with a 3 blade sensenich 78Jw series

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Yamaha ring free. Fuel additive

Post by Rick McC. »

Yamaha Ring Free was an additive for use in Yamaha two stroke motors using Yamalube.

Yamalube didn’t have additives similar to those found in the Mercury and OMC two stroke oils that precluded carbon buildup on the rings and O2 sensors.

The use of Pri-G gasoline additive/fuel stabilizer made the use of Ring Free (very expensive) unnecessary.

I wouldn’t use it myself, and damn sure wouldn’t use it as you’re contemplating.
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

keys2pines
Southern Airboat Member

Post by keys2pines »

Carbon builds up a low rpm, idling, putting around etc. I would almost guarantee "airboat use only" engines are very carbon free. They are run too hard.
12x6'8" Frank Barnes deckover, 383 DD, 72" Sensenich JM
Our keys house for rent, 10% off for SA members https://rentalsfloridakeys.com/view-uni ... /#image-10 :usa:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Yamaha changed up the formula and revised the product to suit their FI four strokes as well as the old two strokes.

Personally I would just run some SeaFoam every few trips it works well and is a third of the price. We use it in everything from the E-Tec to the buggy. It also acts as a fuel stabilizer to some extent.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rick McC. »

Pri-G goes in my gas cans before I fill them with ethanol-free, so it’s used all the time in everything.
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Interesting read, yeah, no chance of much carbon buildup in engines that are run mostly mid to full capacity, now, are you running rec 90 due to the down time "non use" of the airboat? Or for performance reasons?
I never finish anyth,,,.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

I was sitting here wondering the same thing. The REC fuel does preserve better than the E10.

My engine at 11:1 just could not survive running a fuel that is in the 89 octane range. Detonation would beat the mess out of it in one trip.

Last 3 engines with defects brought for Mr Branch to inspect were attributed to poor fuel quality and insufficient octane.

The fuel treatment RIC talks about I did some reading up on it and it is a super concentrate. There is a D formula for diesel fuel and when looking I found claims made by farmers that they stashed fuel in airtight drums with it and it kept off road diesel like new for 10 years. No such claims on gasoline however it appears a year to 18 months is probably the safe range with gas.
What have been your findings RIC

Interestingly enough the Sunoco race fuel that I use to enhance pump gas advertises a two year shelf life if kept in a sealed opaque container.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”