gotta rebuild

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: gotta rebuild

Post by radtech » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:45 pm

LMAO! Oh, I can find better ways to piss money away, I promise. I never win when I play the lottery. I'm bad luck. lol

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:17 pm

My first post here looks like I missed the obvious. :banghead:
It was only my intent to address the CadCo vs Buddy Branch indecision.
I guess because the DD/Gearbox had already been debated so thoroughly,
that when I read 7-800 hp I thought you had already got over that hump. My bad.

RadTech, I would encourage you to search, read and re-read OneEyedGator's posts
(there are many) about his endeavors and the successes he has amassed since he sold his Caddy.
It really does make for an impressive and informative read about one of the most affordable alternatives that exist.

Given the position you find yourself in, there would be no better time to come out of the other end of the tunnel with a gearbox.
A used gearbox and prop can be had for <5k if you look.
If you could go low budget LS with a gearbox/prop for just a little more money, would you?
Mike really has outlined a couple different ways to accomplish that, engine wise.

Could you imagine walking into any local bar and asking "Which one of you guys is the LS mechanic I'm about to drink this pitcher of beer with?" as opposed to dealing with Caddy Gurus on the internet, getting mismatched parts from professional vendors and then finding out what the problem was AFTER you tore up your last attempt? :lol: Please excuse me while I crack myself up . . . :lol: :lol:

NO reflection there on YOU brother, we've all been there before!

WTF is wrong with us? :violent1:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:25 pm

I hear ya, Deano! And that does sound good. I have read all the posts on here and certainly OneEyedGator's If it is possible to get a relatively strong ls engine and gearbox for that price, I would certainly be interested, though, as I said, it will take a few months to come up with even 5k

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:40 pm

It all takes money !

I still think the Lottery plan is the better choice

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:51 pm

Yes, it does, brother!

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:55 pm

Deano, I never had the engine dino's but we rebuilt it with all new bearings, rings, 120 RV cam, beefed up lifter springs, new lifters, timing chain and gears. And just recently added a aluminum intake and factory quadrajet

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:07 pm

If I had any hope of winning, swamp, I would. I'd be better off saying I'm playing the lottery and putting that money away to buy an engine. Lol
Something I forgot to mention...my boat is set up so I can do a gear box simply by sliding the rigging forward and drilling new bolt holes. Only the cage would have to be modefied

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Well maybe the LS is the better path for you based on what Dino and Mike suggest.

I have read up on the new GM engines and have a LS3 car so I am not ignorant to the platform. I just prefer simple and like big power so my old iron block gets it done. It is rare to see a boat out there that can spin the blades that 555 does.

Hey as long as it meets your needs then it don't matter how you get there. Lot to be said about getting a salvage 5.3 and converting it over to carb. I have seen Mikes boat he has put a lot of effort into learning the set up. Im just glad he got rid of that one gear drive he was running I though that thing was gonna blow up and kill me with frag when he started it...LOL

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:42 pm

Lol I hear ya! Right now, I just don't know what to do. I was all set to save up and buy a brand new hull. Now I have to save up to have a ride at all. Lol I'm coming down to Miami on the 23rd to visit a lady and spend the week on Islamorada. After that, I will see where I can cut corners to save money as fast as possible. Once I get a respectable amount together, I can go from there. I hate to bother mr branch or look into an ls engine with no hope of buying soon. I like simple as well. I dont know a thing about computers and would likely get it wet and cost myself a bunch of money. But it is certainly on my mind to look into

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:59 pm

Branch is 6 months out on builds so with him if someone wants one of his engines the time to order it is now.

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:11 am

That is certainly something to consider. But does getting "in line" require any sort of down payment, or does he sell that many engines that he is unconcerned about getting it sold??

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:11 am

I guess what I need to do is just call tomorrow and see where we're at on that.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:40 am

Tim, here is a link to an article I stumbled across just this morning. It will definitely help you if you choose to go the LS route. My buddy just built a 5.3 and it pushes his 14 ft Panther great. Only mods he made is he put the old cam from my LSA in it and used Holley EFI and runs it through a 2.68 GB. Good luck on whichever path you take but I would definitely take Seven3's advice; get your boat running and build what you really want on the side. You will waste much more money and time trying to turn something you have into something you want. Seven3 is a good friend of mine and has been around airboats his entire life. As a matter of fact, the Thurman I'm building was purchased from him. He goes through airboats like I go through underwear. LOL

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/eng ... to-riches/
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:39 am

lol I hear ya, Diggin! Thanks for the article. I will certainly read it thoroughly and hold onto it. Good to hear from you, brother!

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:54 am

"Good luck on whichever path you take but I would definitely take Seven3's advice; get your boat running and build what you really want on the side. You will waste much more money and time trying to turn something you have into something you want...FOOL"

SO TRUE

For the record I have communicated with RadTech privately and learned a few things such as he had a prior head gasket fail on a near identical engine which brought about the rebuild. I have examined the photo and feel his defect and quite possibly his prior head gasket fail were a detonation issue. Most likely this being a factory cast piston with 10:1 apx compression, fuel played a factor.

I spoke with Mr Branch and he said that this combination on an airboat is known to break in the ring lands area or lower skirt as it is a thin casting. His belief is that on an airboat if someone was running such a ratio they would need an octane level of 96 points. He ruled out a ring expansion causation as it is a factory spec piston and that scenario would be extremely unlikely. An interference with a valve was not discovered so cross that off the list. Furthermore he stated the dry condition of the piston and white hot color shade in the center and edges are consistent with a slight lean condition which further pushes the likelihood of detonation being the cause.

The fellow who helped Rad build the engine did things right from what I see and this is in my eyes a fuel related failure.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:32 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Branch Engines (352)797-9910 aka: Cadillac Performance Engineering located in Brooksville, Florida

Looking at the pic you posted, it leads me to believe that your engine was damaged by detonation.
Tim, I agree with Swamphunter45 said, broken ring land is usually caused by detonation, ask me how I know!
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:36 pm

flcracker9 wrote:
SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Branch Engines (352)797-9910 aka: Cadillac Performance Engineering located in Brooksville, Florida

Looking at the pic you posted, it leads me to believe that your engine was damaged by detonation.
Tim, I agree with Swamphunter45 said, broken ring land is usually caused by detonation, ask me how I know! Which cilynder was this? Usually it's one the farthest from the carb, being a little leaner than the rest
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:08 pm

I will have to look back at it, flcracker. I am not positive of the cylinder # but it is the front, driver's side cylinder #2 maybe??

Return to “Automotive Power Only”