Need 500 piston

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Need 500 piston

Post by Striker543 »

Buddy branch recommend an edelbrock thunder series carb that he tweaked for me when I was still running a caddy. It was very affordable even with the conversion plates and Buddy tweaking it. If I was still running a caddy, I’d be using that edelbrock over quadrajet.

As to the fuel issue, you can get a real octane booster from BND Automotive. You will need to call the first time you order as the owner wants to speak with the customer first to make sure he’s selling them a product that will actually help. I used this with a 93 mixture when I was running an aircraft engine and it worked like a champ. It’s not cheap, but I believe even the small bottle treats 200 gallons of gas. http://bndautomotive.com/aces-formulas/

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

Thanks for the info! I will look into it, for sure

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

Well, finally getting some progress made. Anybody else get the feeling life is always trying to take a sh!t on you?? Lol Dropped the engine off at a trusted local machine shop for boring out and rebuild only to find out my engine has a 472 crank in it. Already bought the pistons and all to rebuild a 500, so now it's down to locating a 500 crank. It's always something! But, at least it's headed that way. Looking forward to getting back on the water with my airboat buds

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Just buy 472 pistons and run the 472 crank you have it will be far cheaper in the long run!!!

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

The only problem with that is I already spent over $600 on 30 over 500 pistons, rings, etc. Might as well keep trucking unless the shop or I can't come up with the crank. Lol

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

There ya go bro!! Better get it before swamp and mr branch take a road trip!! :salute:

"Has custom coffin fold up seat with many adornments! Has a 500 motor... not sure if it still runs."
https://athensga.craigslist.org/cto/d/t ... 62861.html
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

plus that coffin would be a badass front seat Rad!!

He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

🤣🤣🤣 Sweet ride! If I had the cash at the moment, I might be taking a road trip myself!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

That's pretty funny. There was one of those for sale in Hernando years ago that I considered buying.
I intended to cut a big slot out of the roof behind the front seat and make a hauler for my blower Valkyrie.
I'm not big on trailering a bike, but that would've been badass going down Main Street during Biketoberfest! :lol:
Old boy wouldn't come down on the price enough to justify the effort, even given the included airboat engine.

On a more practical note, I agree with Swamphunter, odds are pretty damn good at this point that you could sell
those 500 pistons a lot quicker than you are going to stumble across a good 500 crank. In fact, while I wouldn't generically
recommend Falcon Global as a source for everything (they do turn over a lot of 'crap'), they do happen to
have a set of Sealed Power pistons you could use for less than 450 bucks. Those are obviously not forged or the best
you could buy, but they are available and affordable. I've not had any bad luck with them on a stockish build.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealed-Power-F ... 1232169560
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

Thanks for the info. I will see how things go. I'm waiting to hear from the guy at the machine shop today to see if ha can locate one. I would prefer to get the crank, but if it can't happen, I can always send the pistons back to Cad Company and swap for the 472 pistons. They said they would only charge me the shipping to swap them out.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Deano wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:02 am
That's pretty funny. There was one of those for sale in Hernando years ago that I considered buying.
I intended to cut a big slot out of the roof behind the front seat and make a hauler for my blower Valkyrie.
I'm not big on trailering a bike, but that would've been badass going down Main Street during Biketoberfest! :lol:
Old boy wouldn't come down on the price enough to justify the effort, even given the included airboat engine.
I gave that add a double take myself, spent (wasted) a good 5 minutes thinking of all the cool things I would do with it too.

I've left a lot of great future projects sitting behind at the junkyard for sure, I still think "What If" I'd bought that full set of Suburban seats in Gator Orange & Blue. I'd probably still have them stored in the loft :banghead:
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

🤣🤣🤣🤣

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Deano, a lil tlc and a few gallons of bondo ........ just sayin :toothy7:

https://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/d/dunn ... 51450.html
hearse.PNG

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by unforgiven11B »

There’s a 76’ 500 cid Cadillac on SA Facebook, 500 bucks it’s in Dunedin, fl grab it for parts

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled in the future. I resigned myself last week to sending the pistons back and getting the 30 over 472 pistons. It came down to hurry up and get it done. Couldn't keep holding up the machine shop...and, with the funds getting tight, it made more sense financially to do that. I should have my rebuilt engine back by this Friday. Then, it will be get er done!

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

I have seen some great running 472s over the years.

It would not worry me one bit if the prop it correctly selected.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

I had a .020 over 472 with small chambers heads, a little work for flow and compression. Ran a Small Cap MSD dist., MSD box and spent a bit of time dialing in the tune. It was on a 14x7-6 alumitec with SS rigging for the gulf.

That motor turned out very strong but had to run mixed fuel.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

On the facebook version of SA Guy just posted a 500 for 500.00 Charles Franklin

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

I would love to do the 500, but I'm in too far on this build and essentially broke. I have a brand new set of sensenich Q blades i got from slidin gator so im all set. Just gotta get it all done and put together. Planning on coming down for 2 weeks during the AAOF corned beef and cabbage this year, so get your calendars marked. Gonna do the corned beef and cabbage 1 weekend and do a big ride and cookout at Mack's the other. I will let all know when I get it nailed down!

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

Last Mack's cookout...
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-03-31-00-59-38.png

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

Well, finally making progress. Got my engine back today. Soon as I finish licking my wounds, I'll start putting it all back together.
Attachments
20201030_115504.jpg

Return to “Automotive Power Only”