Fence Posts(OUCH)

Make plans here.
deepsea diver
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby deepsea diver » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:57 pm

Olf Art, I did not know you had a law degree!!!

Back to my last reply. If you run into a wire and injure yourself you just operated your boat in a unsafe maner. There are fences out there that are covered with 10 ft of grass. You want to cut throught that grass at 20 mph and you come up short and injured or dead. The only ass you can blame is your self. Those fence post are put there for a reason and on private property. To keep the livestock in or to mark the land owners territory. You have the right to transit the water. You better do it safely.

You will have your day in court. Well judge I was driving my boat at 35 mph during the night, with no light on, only consumed 2 beers the whole day and I hit a fence in the middle of no where. It's not my faught.
The 12 people in the gallery will feel for you and try to hold back the laughter.

Flipping your boat or running into a wire in the middle of night is careless driving. When someone ask "did you see the fence post or wire" and you say yes or no. Then they say to bad you where driving to fast for the environmental conditions. Would this happen if you where going 2mph. If you say no, well you figure it out. You get to set your course and speed.
Your are responsible for your decisions and action.

No need in wasting anymore of your time or mine.

Your thinking is very entertaining and makes for some good laughing. ABTW. If the state owns those fence post, you will be cold and dead before it ever makes it to court.

I'll make a long standing bet with you. Lets say $50.00 bucks. If you ever have an boating accident and damage your boat or injure yourself or your passegener and LE comes out to help you out and you don't get cited for a violation I will pay up. If you hit a stationary object.

I hope this never happens, just a friendly bet.

Over and out. Please be careful and be safe. DSD

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby hmgm123 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:21 pm

GENERAL
Parcel Id: 33-20-33-300-001A-0000
Owner: ST JOHNS RIVER WATER MGMT DIST
Own/Addr: C/O VICTORIA M KROGER
Mailing Address: PO BOX 1429
City,State,ZipCode: PALATKA FL 32178
Property Address:
Facility Name:
Tax District: 01-COUNTY-TX DIST 1
Exemptions: 53-NOT PROFIT WATER/SEW ()
Dor: 99-ACREAGE NOT AGRICULT
2007 WORKING VALUE SUMMARY
Value Method: Market
Number of Buildings: 0
Depreciated Bldg Value: $0
Depreciated EXFT Value: $0
Land Value (Market): $1,038
Land Value Ag: $0
Just/Market Value: $1,038
Assessed Value (SOH): $1,038
Exempt Value: $1,038
Taxable Value: $0
Tax Estimator

SALES
Deed Date Book Page Amount Vac/Imp Qualified
WARRANTY DEED 03/1993 02558 1539 $907,100 Vacant No
WARRANTY DEED 03/1990 02169 1717 $100 Vacant No
WARRANTY DEED 01/1976 01115 0172 $100 Vacant No
Find Sales within this DOR Code 2006 VALUE SUMMARY
2006 Tax Bill Amount: $0
2006 Taxable Value: $0
DOES NOT INCLUDE NON-AD VALOREM ASSESSMENTS

LAND
Land Assess Method Frontage Depth Land Units Unit Price Land Value
ACREAGE 0 0 51.880 20.00 $1,038
LEGAL DESCRIPTION

LEG SEC 33 TWP 20S RGE 33E ALL W OF ECON RIVER + S OF COUNTY LINE

NOTE: Assessed values shown are NOT certified values and therefore are subject to change before being finalized for ad valorem tax purposes.
*** If you recently purchased a homesteaded property your next year's property tax will be based on Just/Market value.

Is this it?

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:42 pm

My My teste bunch on this one. LOL We been runnin fence jumpers long before they were called grass rakes. doo doo occurs so we just gotta deal with it. Fence posts are a fact of life or death in airboating just like trees and rocks and drop off banks in puzzle lake when its low water. If you are running some where that you are unfamiliar with especially at night you gotta bring her down a notch. Jdotson was behind me but he ran a different track than I did. I had been thru there three times that day and was lookin for them posts, mostly because I had to turn there to get back and also because they were a hazard I was aware of. I figure he just was a little off track. It all ended good and for those of us that were there we got a good story to rib him with. I was runnin about 30 mph and was a couple of hundred yards in front of him and stan. It coulda been any number of things that would cause an ejection, a mud tusset will do it just as quick as a fence post will. We will never be able to remove all the potential obstructions out there but if one or two come up missing and no wire is hooked to them it probably will be no big deal. If we go out in force and try to remove all the posts we probably will run afoul of some one or some law. So lets just handle like it has been done for all airboating history ... just accept it as a part of the way it is. You pays your money, you takes your chances.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby plumcrazy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:19 am

dont get me wrong diver but some ranchers think they own the world. let a river or creek change course and they will grab all the grazing they can but should that give them the right to plant telephone polls in the st johns river i thank not i grew up day working the reason these fences end up where they do is simple its teretorial lykes bros tryed to steal fisheatin creek and they failed maxcy an the kissimee river heck they would threaten airboaters with guns drive rebar in the marsh till the courts convince them they didnt own what they thought they did. as far as responsable airboat operation what happened to jdotson can happen to anybody anytime any place even you , no disrespect intended. alls well that ends well .mark em reflectors would work nicely.

deepsea diver
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby deepsea diver » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:55 am

CNTRY, thats just straight shootin. Just the facts and just real. I read you loud and clear!!!

PC, No doubt, These things can happen to anybody, and I have certainly had things like that happen to me. I put my pants on just like most, one leg at a time.

Only ran Kiss one time. Never came across someone planting traps to injure or kill someone. That just seems criminal to me and you are right. I would not like it. Yea, there always seems to be a few bad apples in all barrels.

All I can says is I did not see one bad apple last Sat. Great bunch of people doing the community a great service. All seemed to be having a great time.

PC, for an older fellow you are very agile. I was impressed by the way you crawled up in CNTRY's cage and repaired that rotor cap. You were on it like a rooster on a june bug. It was very entertaining seeing the boats get repaired and the help that was offered.

No disrespect taken and by no means any hard feelings. Just greatful everybody made it back home alive and well.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:29 am

hmgm123 wrote:Image

Is this it?

nice work hmgm - but I think the post JD thumped was about a mile or two south of there. It was at the south end of Puzzle Lake - near Johnson's Bend.

JD - if you hook your GPS to your computer, i'd love to get that track file via email. I'll find the exact spot, plus, you ran that one fence line, and that track file would would go far to increasing my own knowlege of that area. My gps was off due to dead batteries.

When it comes to fence post removal, it seems the determining factor is if there is wire attached to it. That seems reasonable enough.

matt.

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby plumcrazy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:38 am

thanks it was wonderful riding that part of the river but as soon as i jumped in that morning i knew i was in for a airboat lesson in the words of clint a man got to know his limitations

jdotson
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby jdotson » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:25 pm

Hey PC I've always liked the line from Josey Wales....."endeavor to persevere" It always seems to go well with airboating adventures!

deepsea diver
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby deepsea diver » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:36 pm

Jdotson, do we spit on our screens or is that another movie.

You have a great sense of Humor. Glad you are well.

jdotson
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby jdotson » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:59 pm

"I reckon so" There were a few good spit scenes in that movie for sure.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:19 pm

J

"Endeaver to persevere, so we thought about it, and when we had thought about it long enough we decided to declare war ...."

I have about endeavored to persevere as long as I'm willing LOL !

When yall about ready to declare war let me know Hahahahahah

SPIT.....

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:49 pm

Good one Scotty...
Still laughing

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby plumcrazy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:57 pm

my son n law cracks me up peetuwee clank :lol:

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Rich Andrews » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:03 pm

We have another problem to deal with down here they are called Malaleucha stumps....the idiots cut em down and leave the stumps.

My take on the fence post issue is real simple, phantom posts need to go. Functional posts should stay. But why not put up a marker if you know airboaters traverse the area?(because you hate them hunting your high water line).

Lake O has a bunch of them in areas you don't need to worry about, because it is drying up. Just be carefull at the Northeast corner at the end of the Moore Haven canal just before the monkey box, it's a real hull killer.
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Skeeter » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:58 pm

We all should know or maybe survey the posts that need to go.But by no means should this post be getting out of hand.Lets just try to fix some troubled areas.Thanks for the input FlCracker0470

Dakota
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Dakota » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:07 pm

Everyone has a good point. I am with some of you and I say take down the fence posts that are doing no good out there. But that means taking them out completely and not just cutting it below the water line. Someone may hit the bottom of that pole if the water goes down more. As far as hitting the pole, nothing against jdotson and not saying anything about him at all just making a point, I know when we go to a new area we try to stay right behind the person in front. We do that because we are not sure if there is anything on the sides or if the person leading is going that direction for a reason. The only time we take a different path is if we know that there is a good amount of water such as Lake Kissimmee or Lake Washington. But most of the time we ride behind someone until we get the lay of the land. But we all know things can happen no matter what we do. But I think Skeeter has a good idea, the poles that serve no purpose need to go. And from riding there just one time I can tell you I saw quite a few that needed to go because they were serving no purpose.
www.dakotasphotography.com

jdotson
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby jdotson » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:55 pm

Believe me, after hitting a post there is no offense taken here from anything said in this thread. I posted the following in another thread to respond to a post by Rich and thought I would put it here to help visualize the event...

The post was sticking out of the water about 6" to 10" and launched the boat in the air slightly. The jar threw me off balance and I spiraled around the rudder stick like a pole dancer. Unfortunately the stick gave way and I rode it down to the side of the boat where, at that point, we parted ways. If there is ever a lucky way to hit a fence post that would be it. No damage to the boat at all except for the bent stick.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:45 am

Hey JD,
Don't feel bad man.
I think I pulled that same excact acrobatic maneuver once myself.

Only problem was the boat was sitting on the trailer, and only had my yard to land in! :twisted:
Fortunately nobody was around to witness it though.

Don't let ol Country fool ya.
I seen him do some fancy acrobatics on a night-time lake Kissimee.
The boats were'nt even mov'in when he pulled his stunt show.
It was impressive!
I think Stan grabbed him by the ears, or the scruff of the neck at the tail end of it. That's the only thing I saw that kept him from getting wet.

Happens to the best off us, but at least you had an obsticle to blame it on.

Aces over 8s
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Aces over 8s » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:44 am

jdotson wrote:The jar threw me off balance and I spiraled around the rudder stick like a pole dancer.

Well if you had an outfit on like Stan there might have been some money tossed your way. :D
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming " what a ride!"

Dakota
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Dakota » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:59 am

The sad thing J is that it is bound to happen to everyone. I have not been thrown out of the boat. YET is the keyword here. LOL I am just glad you were not hurt, the boat was not hurt and that you were able to continue your weekend.
www.dakotasphotography.com

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:09 pm

Cowboy? What did I do when LOL You see one of the advantage sof getting old is selective memory, you will soon start to experience it especially once you start wearing readin glasses, you young whipper snappers LOL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Bowhntr6pt
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Bowhntr6pt » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:26 pm

If there is one thing no one likes it's a certified letter....

I suggest that anyone who finds a fence post that they believe to be improperly or illegally placed, and as such causes a navigational hazard, do the following:

1. Take a photograph of said fence post.

2. Draft a short letter protesting the placement of the post and indicate that it is a navigational hazard. Indicate that you, as a citizen who navagates the waters where said post is, request that the post be removed ASAP in the interest of PUBLIC SAFETY.

3. Now, send the letter and photograph via CERTIFIED MAIL to all local government offices, including the FWC, County Sheriff's Office, etc.

If it is determined that the post is a real navigational problem, the "government" won't want it on the record that you alerted them to the problem, as now "they" assume liabilty for not acting.

If it is determined that the post is legal, then it's simple, don't drive your boat in that area...

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby grant » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Be carefull, I wouldn't jerk anyones chain lest you see signs declaring area unsafe for boating, keep out.

watchthis
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

post removal

Postby watchthis » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:04 pm

Skeeter, let me know when. Im sure I canget a few boys to come up and help. WATCH THIS.

Return to “October Ride/Meet”