New to airboats!

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
DuckFool
Southern Airboat Member

New to airboats!

Postby DuckFool » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:10 pm

So .... I've always lusted over an airboat, ever since I started duck hunting in the early 70's. Two weeks ago I jumped on an opportunity to get a Dragonfly with the Suzuki G13b engine. 1300cc, ~95hp, 16 valve, fuel injected. The boat had been sunk 3 years ago in fresh water, was retrieved the next day, and has sat since then.

So, I'm in for a re-build. No problem with that as the gut was up front with everything.

I've flushed the old oil and water out of the crankcase (2 gallons of water/oil) and put in new oil and filter, put a tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, and the motor spins with a new starter installed (original was a bucket of rust). Each cylinder gets some compression, and the motor builds 30 pounds of oil pressure. Looks promising!

One question to start things off.

I'm trying to disassemble the gear reduction that's bolted onto the back of the motor. I've been able to get the rear most casting off (I'll call it the output side) with it's associated gear, but the other casting (the input side?) will only move about 1/16 inch. Feels like maybe what I think is a 'flex plate' is stuck and I'm working on the rubber.

I can't even find what brand the drive is.

Does anyone know what Dragonfly uses (used) for their reduction drives? The output case has what looks like a bird of prey with it's wings stretched out.

You can count on lots of follow-on questions. I've heard that this forum is the best place for gathering information.

DuckFool
Southern Airboat Member

Re: New to airboats!

Postby DuckFool » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Here's a pic of the 'bird of prey'
Reduction - 1.jpg

Here's a side view of the partially disassembled reduction drive.
Attachments
Reduction - 2.jpg

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:06 am

Never fooled with one but Pemberton in Floral City had run, sold and serviced a few of the Dragonfly boats.

Chuck Rackey would be another person to reach out to if you search old threads his number is listed. His business was Airboat Pro's and he retired a year or so ago but at last check was still around.

fjdrill
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fjdrill » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:52 am

Look-up: Air trikes, SPG 3(4) redrives. Shows every thing you need. Hope that helps!

DuckFool
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DuckFool » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:55 am

That helps a bunch, thanks!
Now I just need to separate the other two castings to check over the bearings.
I think the rubber vibration dampener piece is corroded to the pins - won't slide out.

Return to “Mini-Airboats”