8'x4' mini

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: 8'x4' mini

Post by cntry141iq » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:08 pm

You the man whitebear ...

Riley ... just be patient with it .. your airboat addiction is just starting .. it is a bottomless pit you are jumping into but there are plenty of folks already there LOL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Duane Scarborough
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Duane Scarborough » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Riley,

Personally I like the road sign rudders. And I like that you have NOT painted over them. That way, they keep their redneck authenticity. :lol:

As far as I know, it's not illegal anywhere to possess old road signs, or of any requirement to be able to show proof of where they came from. ( I may be wrong on that, but I don't think so. )

Recycling them for rudder duty is just the "green" thing to do. :toothy7:

Duane
Hull: Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit on the bottom
Rigging: Stainless Steel-side by side seating
Motor: Teledyne 4A084-4
Carb: Solex H30/31
Reduction: Arrow Prop 1.73:1
Prop: 67" Whirl Wind Mini Prop
Speed: unknown yet

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by Cowboy Rock » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Scotty,,, When I am Perfect, then I will correct you,,, Until then,,, U Da Man,,, :drunken:

Riley,,, The boat looks good, brother from another mother,,,
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Wish I could get it right every single time guys, but I don't think that's in me anymore. When I was a teenager I really did have all the answers an by the time I HAD teenagers, I didn't have ANY answers. I'm slowly clawing my way back but not sure I got enough time left to get back to those teen years LOL !

Never worry about saying something if ya see me getting it wrong. I know where I stand and I know I'm really not all that perfect, so nothing wrong with pointing out anything to me. Once I saw the comments I went back and re read my post and damn I was actually embarassed for Riley. I doubt that I would have been as graceful and accepting of my apology had it been reversed. I guess when my head is in one room and my fingers and kybd are in the other, I need to wait til they are both in the same place LOL ! All y'all is top notch far as I'm concerned!
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Riley
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Riley » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:06 pm

so I got it out on some water today. I mostly putted around getting the feel for it. I was thinking about decking over the back 1/3 and I definatly will. next time I'll build the sides taller. these are 9.5 inches and I think about 12-14 would be good. I think it will plane out but... when I was going for it I hit a rock and cracked the plywood bottom :banghead: now I've got to figure out how to be rock proof and light... hmm.... sheet metal? fiberglass? poly? I'll figure something out.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:51 am

metal bends .. fiberglass cracks ... best option dodge the rocks LOL
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Swap out that heavy wood hull for a lightweight aluminum one :) Problem solved!
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Riley
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Riley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:20 pm

some more pics. you can see the crack in the hull in the last pic. it's right in the middle between the engine and the seat, look right below the valve cover. i'm thinking i'll cut out the crack, epoxy in a patch then maybe put a few layers of glass over the bottom. also mcmaster has 3/16 uhmw poly for $145...

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:21 am

that thing looks sweet, hope it runs as good as it looks for ya..
Wardaddy 8X6.6 Cut down c90 Continental aircraft.
Chuck Hawk 12foot Cut Down 0-320 aircraft.
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection

Riley
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Riley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:26 pm

MILSAR wrote:Swap out that heavy wood hull for a lightweight aluminum one :) Problem solved!
thinking about it, I sent you a PM

Riley
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Riley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:30 pm

GIMAMMOTH wrote:that thing looks sweet, hope it runs as good as it looks for ya..
Thanks, it was a lot of fun to build. got to get this hull fixed up then we'll try it out again. next time with no rocks.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:15 pm

you did a fine job .. looks great and the effort shows. unfortunately you are going to find out that with low hp setups weight is your enemy. A boat with a narrow bottom print will run faster in the water than a wider boat but it takes nmore power to get it going and more time. A wide bottom gets on plane so to speak faster but will go slower but all require a certain hp for the combination to work. I am not sure I can give you an exact hp number per pound of weight .. hadn't never given it much thought becaus enever went below 35 hp with reduction. That is barely adequate for water operation on an approx 6 to 7 wide hull with a weight of around 200lbs for just the hull. It will carry two normal people ok but add a third or a good cooler or several bags of frogs and it is noticable quickly. .... hope ithis gets ya to thinkin .. but seriously your work looks good .. very good.

slowmonky007
Southern Airboat Member

Post by slowmonky007 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:44 am

Nice lil mini! Any updates on the repairs and testing?

Riley
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Riley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:07 pm

repairs are on hold till it's warm enough to use epoxy. I don't have heat in my garage plus I would rather do it outside. I've been looking for an aluminum hull or a jon boat I can cut up. I was hoping to try it on the snow this winter before I fixed it but we haven't had ANY! which never happens where I live.

SpencerMullins
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SpencerMullins » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:26 am

Hey Riley, Im doing a similar project mine is a little larger it is 6X10 with a little rake. Its coming along pretty good I'll post pics eventually, anyhow I was wondering where you got the prop from? it looks like a hovercraft prop is that correct?
Camp Ramblin' Rose
Bob "Koon Dawg" McDonald Grandson
15' Rivermaster 350 2.12 gear box 79" Wisper tip

Riley
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Riley » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 am

yes it is. I worked with Jason from Slipstreamhover.com.

SpencerMullins
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SpencerMullins » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks buddy, anyway how did everything work out for ya? did it get on plane alright?
Camp Ramblin' Rose
Bob "Koon Dawg" McDonald Grandson
15' Rivermaster 350 2.12 gear box 79" Wisper tip

Cubman
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cubman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Do you have any updates on this project?

boobidges
Southern Airboat Member

Post by boobidges » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:03 pm

very nice mini.i built a 4x8 for my son a couple years ago.lot of fun.i really like your reduction.very ingenious.i put a 20 hp onan on mine and it was heavy.made the boat kinda tipsy and it never really performed direct.when i was a kid growing up in the everglades road sign rudders were the norm.times change though i guess.

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by swampfox » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:35 pm

T :lol: thats funny, my runners go from stern from the tip of the nose too. Cool mini though, like the bug in previous pic. I also use junk parts sovdont fell bsd bout the road sign rudders. I like to think of folks like u n me as innovators. :florida: :toothy7: i luv this website!
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:34 am

Riley my first airboat was a 4' 8" x 10 plywood boat. This was in the 70s. and in south fla. It had galvanized steel on the bottom. My dad built it and ran it for a few years and gave it to me when he graduated to a 6 cylinder aluminum boat. Once the sawgrass wears the galvanize off it is slick as glass.

Return to “Mini-Airboats”