Weight of Minnie???

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
Alpal
Southern Airboat Member

Weight of Minnie???

Post by Alpal »

What should a 11x6.3 Aluminium Minnie Deckover weigh complete. Mine weighs 882 lbs. Is this about right?? Aussie Allan..

kajunoutlaw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Weight of Minnie???

Post by kajunoutlaw »

Are you talking about being completely rigged Al? With motor and everything?

Kajun
Great minds discuss ideas, Average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

kajunoutlaw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by kajunoutlaw »

Oh crap, wait, nevermind. I see you posted COMPLETE! DUH! Give me some figures buddy, how heavy is the hull? How heavy is your engine? How heavy is the rigging?

Kajun
Great minds discuss ideas, Average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Quick Draw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Quick Draw »

kajunoutlaw wrote:Oh crap, wait, nevermind. I see you posted COMPLETE! DUH! Give me some figures buddy, how heavy is the hull? How heavy is your engine? How heavy is the rigging?

Kajun
I could be wrong but I think he's asking if 882 pounds is about what it should weigh complete.

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net »

Our MiniPro 116 weights 630 lbs complete. 11 ft X 6 ft 6 inch fiberglass hull.

Thanks, Chuck

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by papajack »

G'day Allan,

My 12x6-6 aluminum mini weighs in just under 550# with 12 gallons of fuel and required equiptment.
My 14x6-6 fiberglass mini weighs in just over 600# with smaller fuel tank plus junk required.
Both are open and super light hulls. I don't know if that helps you answer your question, but it sound a little heavy. Remind us what engine you have on it now...

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Papajack,

I am curious what kind of 'glass hull is your 14.6 ? How much freeboard does it have at the transom ? How is it powered ?

Really curious just because that seams large for what I would perceive to be a mini.

I, like many others, am paying more attention to these little guys.

Deano
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

kajunoutlaw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Weight of Minnie???

Post by kajunoutlaw »

Quick Draw wrote:
kajunoutlaw wrote:Oh crap, wait, nevermind. I see you posted COMPLETE! DUH! Give me some figures buddy, how heavy is the hull? How heavy is your engine? How heavy is the rigging?

Kajun
I could be wrong but I think he's asking if 882 pounds is about what it should weigh complete.
Yea I forked that one all up,

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by papajack »

Deano wrote:Papajack,

I am curious what kind of 'glass hull is your 14.6 ? How much freeboard does it have at the transom ? How is it powered ?

Really curious just because that seams large for what I would perceive to be a mini.

I, like many others, am paying more attention to these little guys.

Deano
Hey Deano,
Check out airboats unlimited website. My fiberglass mini is one of Paul Dixon's Dixon Twisters. Power is a Briggs Vanguard 35hp 1.7:1 v belt reduction 60x28 Sensenich paddle prop. Two low seats and ideal for gator huntin and coastal redfishin. The really great thing aboat these boats, I have never been out and burned more than 4 gallons of gas. As far as callin it a mini, I was once told by a good old cnty boy, call it what ever you want...
Just sayin...
Jack

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Thanks, Papajack.

Gotta agree about the verbage, it's all just a matter of semantics.

Didn't realize Paul's hulls went that big. Will have to do as you suggested on check them out.

Haven't done that in a good while.

Deano
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by papajack »

Allan,
Didn't mean to hijack your thread!!!

Deano,
Mr. Dixon even builds a 16' version of the briggs rig, bbb on here has one and he did some serious mods to the motor.

Alpal
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Alpal »

Sorry for late reply. Bit of a time difference down here and I just woke up. My Minnie weighs that 880 lb. complete ready to slide. Motor is a Subaru car motor (100hp), small Rotax reduction box, mild steel motor mount and just converted the hull thickness to inches (down here it is metric) Bottom and sides .098 inch top .078 inch, plastic 6 gall fuel tank, 2 seats. Going on what you blokes are saying, ours is 2 or 3 hundred more over over weight. Bugger! Anyway, it slides around the water OK and is strong, does not porpoise and has not flipped over when sliding sideways. I always wondered why some of you blokes have more than one Airboat. Have only finished ours a month ago and already want to build another. Must be some sort of water borne disease..... Aussie Allan.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Havent tackled a mini as of yet, but from your description it sound perfect with that poweplant and gearbox.
I never finish anyth,,,.

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by papajack »

Alpal wrote:Sorry for late reply. Bit of a time difference down here and I just woke up. My Minnie weighs that 880 lb. complete ready to slide. Motor is a Subaru car motor (100hp), small Rotax reduction box, mild steel motor mount and just converted the hull thickness to inches (down here it is metric) Bottom and sides .098 inch top .078 inch, plastic 6 gall fuel tank, 2 seats. Going on what you blokes are saying, ours is 2 or 3 hundred more over over weight. Bugger! Anyway, it slides around the water OK and is strong, does not porpoise and has not flipped over when sliding sideways. I always wondered why some of you blokes have more than one Airboat. Have only finished ours a month ago and already want to build another. Must be some sort of water borne disease..... Aussie Allan.
Hey Mate,
If it does what you want it to do, no worries!!! There is not a weigth limit in airboating other than overload, which usually require a big supply of blokes and beer to get her off the bottom. Happy slidin...
Oh, and that two boat sickness, it gets worse... Trust me there ain't no such thing as too many... I am sweet talkin my wifey tonight about another mini... Just sayin...

Return to “Mini-Airboats”