Who sells hulls for mini-ariboats?

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:27 pm

My dad keeps talking about mini-airboats and I'm pretty sure it's just talk but just out of curiosity does anyone have pics, prices and or contact info for anyone that builds mini hulls? I've seen plans to build your own mini hull out of wood and I've seen whole mini-airboat's for sale but haven't seen many selling just hulls for a mini-airboat. Possibly I'm just not looking hard enough but does anyone know who if anyone does?
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Who sells hulls for mini-ariboats?

Postby Birddog247 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Airboat pros
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks didn't know he sold the hulls alone. I just called but no answer and no voicemail. I'll try him later cause it's no rush just curious.
Micah Smith

12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Birddog247 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Also may wanna try dragonfly or Dixie twister and possibly alumatec
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:14 pm

Birddog247 wrote:Also may wanna try dragonfly or Dixie twister and possibly alumatec

Thanks for the info Pat. I called Dragonfly Airboats, that is owned by Mud Buddy, and am waiting on a call back. I looked at the Dixon Twister airboats by Airboat's Unlimited but the fully built units they sell start at 14' long. That's longer then my current boat. They might custom make a smaller boat but being out of state I'm sure a custom boat built and shipped here is gonna make it cost prohibitive. I called Alumitech and they were very helpful. I told him I already have a big boat and my dad keeps saying how fun one of those lake buggy size mini-airboat builds looks. Alumitech said the reason all the companies sold boats much bigger then the lake buggy is because the lake buggy size is mostly a toy and won't do much. I'm sure he knows his stuff so I guess if building a toy lake buggy boat is what we're looking to do, spending the extra money and effort to have a hull built by someone won't be worth it for the performance it's gonna have. I think if my dad and I were to put the money and time into building a real mini with a 35hp or bigger motor and a reduction we might as well look for a used full size boat. I may still build one of those lake buggy boats with him just for fun if he keeps bringing it up.
Micah Smith

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Afflicted » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Those little lake buggy 1s would get down with a 35 and reduction I would think. That ggkustoms 1, that guy is on here I think. It's got a 15hp motor an it looks like it gets around good. Goes like 25mph

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:48 pm

Afflicted wrote:Those little lake buggy 1s would get down with a 35 and reduction I would think. That ggkustoms 1, that guy is on here I think. It's got a 15hp motor an it looks like it gets around good. Goes like 25mph

Pretty sure a 35 and a reduction unit on the single man Lake Buggy would fly....until you stop in water then it might sink. I saw the one you're talking about and it looks pretty cool.
Micah Smith

airjohn81
Southern Airboat Member

Postby airjohn81 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:55 pm

i have a belt drive 1.7 to 1 for any vanguard, b%s, honda , predator ect ect twin cylinder engines if you want a real good performing mini if you go that route for power... its new w new blet.. ill sell 250.00.. just throwin it out there.. have a great day an love the Confederacy !!!!
:rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :rebel: :florida: :old_glory:

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Not sure how "mini" your dad wants to go, but I have a friend looking to sell a 10' riveted glades hull with an AV 0-320. The boat has been sitting for quite a few years inside a warehouse and you could call it a 'project boat,' but it is all there. PM me if interested.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:45 pm

DDSBC wrote:
Afflicted wrote:Those little lake buggy 1s would get down with a 35 and reduction I would think. That ggkustoms 1, that guy is on here I think. It's got a 15hp motor an it looks like it gets around good. Goes like 25mph

Pretty sure a 35 and a reduction unit on the single man Lake Buggy would fly....until you stop in water then it might sink. I saw the one you're talking about and it looks pretty cool.

Micah,
Shoot me a pm with your Dads email. I can enlighten him to a 10' 6" peanut with a PE 90 SCS, very lightly rigged.

GWTW-006
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby GWTW-006 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Micha Chuck at Airboat Pros is retiring, that is probably why you didn't get an answer.

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Andrew McD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:45 am

Get with Marty Bray (excuse the spelling if wrong) for a mini hull. I picked one up and it's a beauty! 10'x5'. Fits inside his 11'. Lol powering it with a special lil 4 banger of sorts. Projects going slow but will try to post pics tomorrow. I unloaded the hull from the bed of my truck by myself. If your looking for a cool, light mini hull that's the ticket. Chuck at AP pros is a dealer.
Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

preventec47
Southern Airboat Member

Postby preventec47 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:57 pm

Small JonBoat hulls as mini airboats ?
I see a lot of Jon Boats and other flat bottom type skiffs on Craigs list some that are 10, 11, and 12 feet
long made from aluminum and some from fiberglass .... Is there any reason why those type boats
do not work well as mini airboats ? They kinda look like a lot of the airboats I see in videos but
I cannot tell if they are real JonBoats or something special about them makes them airboats ? ? ?

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:18 pm

preventec47 wrote: . . . Is there any reason why those type [Jon] boats do not work well as mini airboats? . . .
The two main reasons are:
1 - Jon boats such as you reference are generally far to narrow for an airboat.
They don't have a sufficient beam to afford needed stability for an elevated drive system.
2 - An airboat of any size has a flat (or very near) bottom. They do not have ribs like a Jon boat.
When you are steering via air over the rudders, any ribs on the bottom would be counter-productive.

A Jon boat with any type of air propulsion is still a Jon boat.

Naturally you can do anything you want to, but those are just two of
the major reasons other people typically do something different than that.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

preventec47
Southern Airboat Member

Postby preventec47 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:15 am

Deano wrote:
preventec47 wrote: . . . Is there any reason why those type [Jon] boats do not work well as mini airboats? . . .
The two main reasons are:
1 - Jon boats such as you reference are generally far to narrow for an airboat.
They don't have a sufficient beam to afford needed stability for an elevated drive system.
2 - An airboat of any size has a flat (or very near) bottom. They do not have ribs like a Jon boat.
When you are steering via air over the rudders, any ribs on the bottom would be counter-productive.

A Jon boat with any type of air propulsion is still a Jon boat..

OK so I see I would have an air powered Jon boat. I guess the ribs on the bottom act like keels and dont
allow the wild sliding sideways that a flat bottom would. Is the problem minimal or is there a safety risk
of some sort ? I dont see myself doing the 360 degree spinouts that a lot of guys are doing in the videos
but do the ribs on the bottom grab the water any more than the sharp sides of the outside bottom of an airboat
hull ?

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:04 am

preventec47 wrote: . . . I guess the ribs on the bottom act like keels and don't allow the wild sliding sideways that a flat bottom would. Is the problem minimal or is there a safety risk of some sort ? . . .
The safety risk is that when you try to turn, and the bottom is unable to slide sideways even a little bit, whatever thrust is being generated by the propeller WILL move it sideways whether the bottom of the boat moves sideways or not.

You could potentially have a real quick lesson in what is known as 'torque roll'. :shock:

You will not need much torque to produce a bunch of roll when you have a 4' wide bottom. :idea:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:43 am

I can quote you on a light mini hull, small glades style sled if you like, what powerplant are you looking at?
I never finish anyth,,,.

Return to “Mini-Airboats”