New and thinking of building

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
aztrooper
Southern Airboat Member

New and thinking of building

Postby aztrooper » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi all. I found this forum while looking up information on air boats. I have done a search but can't find anyone saying anything about the Glen-L Swamp Boat. I like the looks of it and am pretty good with wood. I would be using probably a Rotax 503 on it as I have a lot of flying experience in ultralight aircraft with that engine. Anyone have any experience with the Glen-L? I will be using is mostly on the Arizona lakes and rivers for fishing and exploring.

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: New and thinking of building

Postby happy harold » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:13 am

unless you are a true wood worker, I would wait before building a wooden boat. there is a reason you don't see wooden boats anymore, and its weight. there are a few on here that will disagree, but keeping water out of wood requires a skill most of us do not have. I am not saying give up and quit, just study long before you jump. there have been a few wooden boats built and shown in the building process. I would research that and try contacting one of them for advise. just because its wood, doesn't mean it quick or easy. and remember wood soaks up water like a sponge and heavy boats make poor airboats. good luck jmo

aztrooper
Southern Airboat Member

Postby aztrooper » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:43 pm

happy harold wrote:unless you are a true wood worker, I would wait before building a wooden boat. there is a reason you don't see wooden boats anymore, and its weight. there are a few on here that will disagree, but keeping water out of wood requires a skill most of us do not have. I am not saying give up and quit, just study long before you jump. there have been a few wooden boats built and shown in the building process. I would research that and try contacting one of them for advise. just because its wood, doesn't mean it quick or easy. and remember wood soaks up water like a sponge and heavy boats make poor airboats. good luck jmo

I believe the hull on the Swamp boat is covered with one layer of fiberglass. In any event, wooden boats have been around for thousands of years and there are still some over 200 year old large wooden boats in service. I have built a wooden two place airplane so a wooden boat doesn't scare me. :)

Thanks,
Bob

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby happy harold » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:00 am

let me put this in different way. you can build any thing you like. there is a guy in Bradenton that built a sailboat out of concrete. never saw it in the water, but a guy that did said it did pretty well for what it was. you can plane off a brick if you have a big enough power plant. your wooden boat may work for you, however, I doubt you will ever be the leader in a cross country trip running dry. our nation came into being with wooden ships, but when a better material became available our navy changed with. when I was young grandfather rented boats. they were wood. they may still make them out of wood, but I haven't seen one in 50 or 60 years. so go with your plan. its your American right. thanks for listening. Harold-82 year old redneck.

Blownaway540
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Blownaway540 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:59 am

Hello, Do not get discouraged! Reading your post tells me you are not looking to run dry or the hill. I built a Glen-L 8ft. 6in. Three point hydroplane for my nephew on my back porch, on top of pool table. It was fun , rewarding and educational. There is plywood that is sold that will not delaminate after 200 hours of constant water Emerson . It is certified by Lloyds of London not to. Go for it, their kits are relatively easy to build and understand.
IGSO 0540 (W/out IG) built by the late, great, Dick Hoffman, 13 ft. Alumitech. Member - CRA, KRVSA

Saul Good
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Saul Good » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:55 am

Another vote for not getting discouraged.

I am also looking at that Glen-l airboat design and planning on powering it with a BMW flat twin motorcycle engine with 2.5 reduction.

What you have to remember is that advances in epoxy resins have made it possible to build a glassed wood boat as light or almost as light as an aluminum one. I built a 14 foot wood kayak in the same fashion and my 300 pound but can dance on top of the front decking without it deforming.

I also fabricate in metal, and building in aluminum is easier and faster, but build what you want. I'm building in wood because my son will be able to help and he is a little too young to handle the welding/cutting/grinding tools safely.

I should be starting my build in a month or so.

Saul Good
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Saul Good » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:56 am

Crap, didn't realize the thread was that old when I posted

Return to “Mini-Airboats”