1260 Mini Blow Boat

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
Ungashick
Southern Airboat Member

1260 Mini Blow Boat

Postby Ungashick » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Howdy Y'all! new to the site and needing a few of you mini gurus to lead me in the right direction!

Wanting to build a 12x5 mini blower for bow fishing!

Trying to stay as cheap as possible so some help would be awesome!

1. What would be a good motor to run that isn't gonna break the bank? Would like to be able to run dry. I see a few of you on here using rotaxes but that is way outta my price range..

2. Best prop?

Thanks y'all!

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: 1260 Mini Blow Boat

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:16 am

Welcome to the forum. Don't take this the wrong way but the "Search" feature in the top right is going to be your best friend for a while. There is a wealth of knowledge on here. Everyone of your questions has been discussed extensively in the past.... numerous times.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:09 am

PeaRiverOpossum wrote:Welcome to the forum. Don't take this the wrong way but the "Search" feature in the top right is going to be your best friend for a while. There is a wealth of knowledge on here. Everyone of your questions has been discussed extensively in the past.... numerous times.

Thanks brother. I've been on this site since Moses was a teenager, and I still use that 'Search' feature from time to time myself. :thumbleft:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

preventec47
Southern Airboat Member

Postby preventec47 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:59 pm

I dont know much as I am just like you wanting to build a smallish airboat...
but I have gathered this. It will take at least double and maybe triple the hp
for you to run dry as opposed to just plane on smooth water. That might also mean
double or triple the money ? ? ? Are you sure running dry is worth it ?

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby happy harold » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:27 am

a 5 foot boat with an outboard is extremely stable. the same boat with an engine and rigging above water changes the stability in more ways than just gravity. for an example; cross winds you never paid attention to will now be a factor and head winds more so.. lets say you forward speed(ground speed)is 15mph and you now have a 15mph head wind, you not only will stop---you will sink. while you boat is standing still, the prop is pulling(pushing)the water out from under your boat. there are many other factors you need to learn. I STRONGLY suggest you visit with some one who has this stile of boat, and have a long talk and/or ride. good luck with your build--keep us posted.

Return to “Mini-Airboats”