Metal filings in oil and two pins came out drain plug on Briggs 35 help

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
Air canada
Southern Airboat Member

Metal filings in oil and two pins came out drain plug on Briggs 35 help

Postby Air canada » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 am

Found two pins a chunk of gear and lots of metal fillings on minipro 116 with vanguard 35 any ideas befor I tear into it today

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Metal filings in oil and two pins came out drain plug on Briggs 35 help

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:15 pm

That sounds like some very BAD news! Maybe the oil pump gear?

Well if you decide to go all out these guys have a bunch of trick components to take a Vangard to the extreme including a supercharger in the very near future.

Keep us posted and take pics

http://performancevtwins.com/customparts.html

Air canada
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Air canada » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:08 pm

Thanks swamp hunter 45 and only one I had a reply to I have built and owned a handful of airboats and just finally became a official member nice to finally get feed back i will tear into it tommorw had another buddy think it ls governer blowed apart what's your thoughts swamp hunter 45

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby papajack » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:11 pm

While you are taking down the motor you might check your crankshaft diameter. I hard to replace mine after it sheerer off. They made two different sizes. My 1 1/8" sheered by prop torque. Replaced it with 1 7/16". Just a suggestion.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:16 pm

Metal in the oil and large pieces of components is a sign of a catastrophic failure. Your boat had a recent modification (poly) and you noted a lesser ability to run dry ground. I am thinking maybe this caused you to push your engine harder and as such a internal catastrophic fail.

Lets hope it is something simple as I am no Vangard expert

Wade_660
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Wade_660 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:18 pm

Sounds like the governor gear to me. They are known to come apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:11 am

I looked at some internals and the Vanguard has 2 roll pins associated with the smaller gear so the governor assembly is highly suspect.

Air canada
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Air canada » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:54 pm

Well finally tore it down tonight and it was the governor that failed amd chewed case right beside where it spins in there befor it grenaded didn't seem to damage anything else thou so gona break clean everything out blow out oil sump and oil cooler and filter remove amd debris and than spray everything down with oil agen after it cleaned out so question # 1 can I put it togeather without the govanor ? I can only get motor to rev at 3660 rpm with the prop anyways and from what I have read they are ok till 4000 rpm stock ? I'm probly gona order heads and carb kit from bps unless someone suggest something better . I do only have 1 1/8 crank amd while it's apart I would upgrade that also where do I pick one up ? And finally I have the century cogged belt drive and broke the Martin split taper lock thing for bottom pully want to know where to get one of them would I have to go through century and if I upgrade crank I would need a bigger tapper lock anyways ? Sorry for all the questions guys just want to get it back togeather in one shot without ordering wrong parts and as fast as I can I love the boat and wana get back on water for next week if possible

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby papajack » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:52 pm

You might check out some of the mudmotor forums. There is alot of Briggs info available on those sites. Much more! Nothing against SA, just not many airboats with Briggs motors. Since Chuck closed Airboat Pro he's not available to answer questions. Paul Dixon at Airboats Unlimited might have some input for you. I gave up my Briggs motors and switched over to Rotax motors. I found out that the more you tricked out the Briggs the shorter they survived. Good luck with your project!

Return to “Mini-Airboats”