Newbee in Ohio, inheriting a Rotax 503, want to build a mini

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
Dblugras
Southern Airboat Member

Newbee in Ohio, inheriting a Rotax 503, want to build a mini

Postby Dblugras » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:27 am

My pop passed away recently at age of 90, still flying a Piper Tripacer with FAA pilots license I might add, left me an old ultralight to part out. It has a Rotax 503 and 2:1 reduction similar to one noted in a few posts.
I am pushing 60, and slowing down a bit and looking for a new thrill as the Harley is getting too dangerous with idiots texting in their cages... that said, I am clueless as to the laws in Ohio regarding airboats, but we have a few shallow water lakes around here and I want something unique to run.
So, just stopped by looking for advice, thinking I might have to take a trip south to find a project boat that would match my engine and start shopping for props.
A couple questions regarding education and training, are there schools, or better just to read the blogs and learn from experience of others?
Thanks for your thoughts in advance and going to attempt this project over the coming winter.
DB

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Newbee in Ohio, inheriting a Rotax 503, want to build a mini

Postby kwanjangnihm » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:15 am

Welcome to SA & the Insanity!! A lot of great info on mini builds here - take advantage of the search function. :salute:

Search this user's posts: search.php?author_id=621&sr=posts

Good luck with your build! :rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Dblugras
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Newbee in Ohio, inheriting a Rotax 503, want to build a mini

Postby Dblugras » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Thanks so much for the pics and video… I can see this happening already and so excited to make use of the motor dad had in that ultralight he put down two or three times before you got a real plane....
Buckeye by birth; Southern by the grace of God !

Return to “Mini-Airboats”