Advise for buildin aluminium hull.

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Advise for buildin aluminium hull.

Postby M0RYAK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:06 am

Hi everyone. I wont to build an airboat with engine Honda CBR1100XX - 150HP, but I don't have any expirance for it. I looked many pictures of airboats and noted that, everyone have spetial bottom's form . Advice my how I can make buttom of the hull? I thinkit hull should be 13x6.

Please advise size of lines marked on picture:

a-
b-
c-
d-
e-
Attachments
example.jpg

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Advise for buildin aluminium hull.

Postby southern safaris » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:26 am

I have a 14' hull ill give you some round about numbers on , this is for one of my round sided hulls that works well being pushed by a 100hp suzuki g13 1.3l engine

A= 72"
B=108" (from transom to start of bow roll)*
C=60"
D&E 30" ( that is a combined number for the roll and gives you gunnel hieght of 21"

This hull was built with metal 10' wide and 14'6" long rendering a transom of 7'6"at top and hull length 14' long roughly the boat bellies to roughly 8' midship, i will try and post some pics

Most importantly a number you need that you didnt ask for is the percentage of roll for your bow to flatbottom #..... my best riding hulls have a 40 to 43% of bow roll to overall bottom length , this gives good character of ride and displacement and took many boats to figure out till i got my recipe.... no that said many and everyone that builds hulls will have their own secret recipes and opinions and this is just mine and it works for my boats take care and enjoy , and take your time designing it gets expensive making mistakes on aluminum nowadays!!
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby southern safaris » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:51 am

Just to clarify i listed that boat and suzuki motor as the closest thing ive built to your honda engine , most of my boats with that size hull usually run 6cyl aircraft engines or small block chevys and ls style engines with reductions .....
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks for yuor feetback. That airboat whitch I was marked on picture, only for exsample to understanding how can i built any hull, because in our region (i am from Russia) nobody has experiance to bulit the quality hull correctly. My friend builded airboat 18' x 5' with same engine how my. Width of flatbottom 4'4". Speed 50 miles.
Attachments
IMG_3220.PNG

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:09 pm

M0RYAK welcome to Southern Airboat!

what is the function of the floating hotel behind you? :salute:
:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks!
It is hotel for hunters and fishers in delta of river Volga. Owner my friend.

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:30 pm

I use computer proramm for designing. Now I change some size.
Attachments
Plan.jpg

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:21 am

M0RYAK is there any big game hunting in this area? What types of fish are caught in this area?
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:24 am

Please see attached foto from instagram. Delta of river Volga very big.
Attachments
IMG_3261.PNG
IMG_3260.PNG
IMG_3259.PNG
IMG_3257.PNG
IMG_3256.PNG
IMG_3252.PNG
IMG_3250.PNG

rdb
Southern Airboat Member

Postby rdb » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:18 am

looks like yall have a lot of fun.

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:08 pm

But for take of thise fun needed have spetial boats.

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:57 pm

What are the advantages of such a bending of the bottom?
Attachments
42b1f61e-a021-1f7f.jpg

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby southern safaris » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Turn chines help in cornering on certain hull designs , and are a must in some situations, they also allow a bottom to be wider and thus hull sitting higher out of the water than say a round side hull with the same transom width, my hulls do not have them but its just what i like , each design has good qualities

Hard chine* what you pictured
And
Soft chine* , example is a round sided hull
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby southern safaris » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Looks like i need to move to russia and get in some spearfishing and waterfowl hunting nice pics brother
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks! It information is very important for my. I thinked about that.

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:41 pm

Our water ways have hard ternings.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Slidin Gator » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:18 pm

Moryak,

You should have used "Borat" as a screen name!

Can you explain, or better yet post some video, of the areas you are looking to run? You say your waterways have sharp turns, but the whole concept of operating an airboat is to stay out of the river channel and run the shallow marsh, unless you are dealing with rocks, snow, ice etc. If you are running deeper water (3" plus), you might as well run a mudboat system, better fuel efficiency, but less fun.

It would be best to start with an explanation and discussion of where you are really going to run this blow boat.

Here in Florida, the rivers are full of sharp turns, but I don't care, I run the marsh on the edge of the flood plain and go straight. Without you having airboat experience, your mind naturally goes to running the river like any other boat. After running an airboat for a while, you will understand that the last place you want to be is in the river, that's where boats sink.

My point is that the choice of flat bottom with turning chines vs. the round bottom hull is a function of the application. Hard chines and a flat hull do improve the ability to make sharp turns in deeper water and do help a boat fly over thick sawgrass in our parts. But when running shallow water (to ~ 4") with vegetation, the round sided hull is more forgiving as it rides over obstacles while sliding sideways. The thing to keep in mind is in shallow water, the flat cannot roll and dig the inside chine in like it can in deep water. In shallow water the hull stays flat, the chines don't work since they don't touch the water and when turning the ability of the hull to ride over obstacles is subject to the angle of the crease in the hull.

On the other hand, in deeper water, the round sides make the boat less stable off plane and ride deeper in the water. Stability is limited to the width of flat hull, before the round. In shallow water, the round sided hull can actually lean into a turn better vs. the flat hull staying flat.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Muckduck
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Muckduck » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:17 pm

I added a little bit of safety to the prop shaft area just in case something happens.
Attachments
108D6D59-DEC4-49D0-BFC8-26F60E225C7B.jpeg
0E0BCEAC-8AC9-4E88-9EAB-05301995A84B.jpeg
A530FB75-51D4-4C65-8A90-9C9237DF1CEE.jpeg
5B558CA1-BDC7-4E73-B3E7-74270E9B885B.jpeg

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 am

[quote="Slidin Gator"]Moryak,

We are hanting on shalow water (big areas with depth about 0,5 m) and bottom sand or mud, but to get there I'll go on the river 20 miles.

mudboat system it is good if bottom mud, if bottom sand it is not good (some peoples have mudboats here).

I use outboard engine. Look foto (down part).
Attachments
Map.png
IMG_8704.jpg

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 am

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Slidin Gator » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Moryak,

That is one pretty delta there, looks like a lot of places here in the US south. But I imagine that water is cold, I would not want to swamp a boat there, brrrr!

It appears to me that deep water running and stability in rough conditions are the primary goals for your application. Stability when sitting still is also a goal, both for safety and ease of duck hunting. So a wider hull to ride better in deep water and provide stability off plane are the primary needs. A high transom and sides is also in order for safety, the 21" gunnel height mentioned previously should work with the light set up. Realizing that you are planning to run a light weight motorcycle engine, there is no need to go overboard on width though. The C=60" (5 feet) number discussed previously seems like a reasonable figure and should make for a stable platform. For your needs, I would shy away from the round sided hull. Sharper bends on the end of the flat and possibly adding the turning chine system might be a good option.

You want the turning chines to ride out of the water on plane, only digging in on turns and off plane (idle etc.). When sitting still, the chines make the hull wider for more stability. Also not mentioned, they improve rigidity of the hull.

What size prop are you looking at here? Your buddies boat is pretty narrow, how does it do in your area? It sure looks sharp. Don't be afraid to go wider, too wide is usually better than too narrow on an airboat.

Finally, follow Muckduck's motorcycle powered boat build, he is dealing with a lot of the same issues as you will need to tackle, take note of the hull being 6 foot wide and pretty square.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm

Moryak I embedded your videos! That is some beautiful scenery!! :thumbleft:

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:12 am

kwanjangnihm wrote:Moryak I embedded your videos! That is some beautiful scenery!! :thumbleft:

Many thanks for help!

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:01 am

Slidin Gator wrote:Moryak,

That is one pretty delta there, looks like a lot of places here in the US south. But I imagine that water is cold, I would not want to swamp a boat there, brrrr!

It appears to me that deep water running and stability in rough conditions are the primary goals for your application. Stability when sitting still is also a goal, both for safety and ease of duck hunting. So a wider hull to ride better in deep water and provide stability off plane are the primary needs. A high transom and sides is also in order for safety, the 21" gunnel height mentioned previously should work with the light set up. Realizing that you are planning to run a light weight motorcycle engine, there is no need to go overboard on width though. The C=60" (5 feet) number discussed previously seems like a reasonable figure and should make for a stable platform. For your needs, I would shy away from the round sided hull. Sharper bends on the end of the flat and possibly adding the turning chine system might be a good option.

You want the turning chines to ride out of the water on plane, only digging in on turns and off plane (idle etc.). When sitting still, the chines make the hull wider for more stability. Also not mentioned, they improve rigidity of the hull.

What size prop are you looking at here? Your buddies boat is pretty narrow, how does it do in your area? It sure looks sharp. Don't be afraid to go wider, too wide is usually better than too narrow on an airboat.

Finally, follow Muckduck's motorcycle powered boat build, he is dealing with a lot of the same issues as you will need to tackle, take note of the hull being 6 foot wide and pretty square.

Thanks!

In summer temperature of water 26 - 30 degree celcy.

Reason of narrow boats my friend - He wanted to pass through thickets of plants. (many water areas separeited by plants).

About 2 years ago I start designing, I asked some peoples on russian forums for size of hull and they had answered "If you made short hull you will have dolphin's effect". After that I started looked this forum, and understood what size of hull should be about 12"x6".

I have possiblity use 3 blades prop diammetr 73" for 100-130 HP, or 4 blades prop diammetr 71,5" for 150 HP and more.
Attachments
PROP.JPG
PROP 4blade.jpg

M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member

Postby M0RYAK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:02 am

[quote="Slidin Gator"]Moryak,

Sharper bends on the end of the flat and possibly adding the turning chine system might be a good option.

What size of sharper bends and turning chine system on transom? If end of flat 60".

Return to “Mini-Airboats”