Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Re: Alaskan hunting Mini

Post by Scotty1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:51 am

:rebel: Man you are killing me missiles and torpedo's , what's next :rebel:

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:30 am

swamper2 wrote:James Bond would have the rocket that is mounted on the bottom of the rudder pointing back to stop the aggressors.
Good call swamper 2. Touche’. ..Maybe it’s a guided torpedo...

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamper2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:41 pm

yes, turn it around before you deploy . you might have a big grizzly after you some day
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:45 pm

“ if your not having fun, your doing something wrong”
“Isn’t fun the best thing to have ?”
Just living the dream and building my fun.

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:41 am

Finishing touches, and she goes out of the shop today !

7 weeks total and somewhere around 370 hours from buying a bunch of flat sheet and angles to painted, finished and out of the shop.

Got the most important things painted red..that officially closes out the build. Still have some tinkering to do of course, but that will go forever. Went shopping and picked up safety stuff, flares, air horn, paddle, lines, tie offs, squeegee, heater...which is too big, will have to shop for a smaller heater, or go electric and buy a tiny generator.

Will be doing test runs today or tomorrow, and will post some vids. Thanks for all the support and bashing :slap:
Attachments
462CA1BB-918A-4968-9262-5FD94A7DFE00.jpeg
C61E4F27-98EB-4E7A-8398-48119CEDFBB5.jpeg
A78AC110-6FF2-4B3A-AF3F-AD17B56ECE7A.jpeg

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamper2 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:36 pm

looks like you have what it takes to make a heat muff for cabin heat

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Hey swamper 2. Do you mean like a shroud around the muffler or head with forced air back into the cab? I thought about it, as it is common with ultralights. But they have really nice straight lines to get inside the cab. I thought it would be a lot of work to put a scoop behind the prop, turn it around under the decking, turn upwards towards the head, wrap around the head, then back together to duct into the back of the seat. With no idea of it would work or burn up the head....if different idea, please share.

Muckduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Muckduck » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Very cool build and I can’t wait to see it run!

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:50 pm

....and of course the battery didn’t work today.. it took a charge, just didn’t hold it. No 16.8 v battery sets in town, so I have to build one. Went into town and got the cells. Will get that done in the morning and continue moving towards airboat freedom from the shop. It’s a whole thing.
I did find a sweet pair of Air Force issue snow shoes that will go perfect on the outside of the boat and just may come in handy!

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamper2 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 am

Jssflyer wrote:Hey swamper 2. Do you mean like a shroud around the muffler or head with forced air back into the cab? I thought about it, as it is common with ultralights. But they have really nice straight lines to get inside the cab. I thought it would be a lot of work to put a scoop behind the prop, turn it around under the decking, turn upwards towards the head, wrap around the head, then back together to duct into the back of the seat. With no idea of it would work or burn up the head....if different idea, please share.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/s ... eat%20muff just some ideas, nice project and you might have a new business, congrats

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:59 am

She weighs 190 lbs, all dressed up. No fuel. About 40-50 over than my goal. But, that is all paint, wrap and bottom uhmw. I will live with it.
I am really wondering how much(percentage) of thrust I will lose from the cab. I don’t really doubt that it will go forward with a fair amount of speed, but I definitely will be losing some thrust. So, started thinking on how to mitigate that. Believe I can move the engine 2” up and 2” back to open up more space for a larger prop. Will see how it works first.
Started cutting large hole in shop. 6x6’. 6” logs with ALOT of log screws in them. Toasted a chainsaw blade and burned up a Ryobi saws all.
For testing purposes it’s A little cold today, 5 below, but it’s going to be really warm for the next 4-5 days. In the 20’s! My neighbor has a nice runway that connects to a slough of the tanana river that still has some flow on it and it’s only a few inches deep. Will be heading over there for the first video runs.
I put on all my hunting/snowmobile gear , got inside and was pretty warm without a heater. I may be making a mountain of a mole hill with the heater. Will test with and without and see the difference.
Gonna go and solder up the new battery and get this boat outside ! Wish us luck !
Thanks again for the help, support and input!
Attachments
7EF6D1C4-16E6-4380-AAA6-4060AA1BAA38.jpeg
31EB2795-3A56-4665-9553-D5A39C015965.jpeg

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Post by Scotty1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:46 pm

:rebel: when we going to get the videos ,looks great and cannot wait to see it go. :rebel:

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:24 pm

hey Jssflyer that's a narrow hole your cutting in the wall man!! :toothy7:

just so you know, my money is on Benjamin out-running you in his mini build!! :stirpot:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Let the trials and tribulations begin!,,,
On the way out of the garage, snagged a bolt at 11” high on the door wheel. Exactly 1”higher than my uhmw on the side and tore a 1” long hole in the side
Got her started and got in. Wiggled a little to get into shoulder straps and she started going down the driveway at idle. Gave a little power and she started going good at 1/4 throttle. Had rudder control and moving at a decent clip...went to open it up after 100 ft and it died.
Much cussing insured, and eventually found a bad ground wire on main engine ground. Replaced, now get much better starter power. (The battery wasn’t bad, I just had a bad ground.)
Tried starting again and it was flooded, then battery ran down, tried to pull start but no luck. I am recharging battery now and hoping beyond hope that I didn’t burn out the chi ignition or rotor, etc. will know more in a couple of hours.
Power is not going to be an issue that I can see. It has way more than enough for fresh snow. Airflow at this point is a non issue as well. But there is a lot more testing to come. I will get videos when the ol lady comes home to shoot them for me.and I take enough time to Edit them and post them.
Attachments
6EF99187-2351-4904-AAD0-93DE6E7BF3E4.jpeg
4D5CCF34-E421-4A31-A7A0-512D7F76A5D8.jpeg

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Hallelujah !!! I still have spark.
Carb is the next most likely culprit. It’s a weird one from Italy with no bowl on the bottom. So you can’t drain it when storing. Been sitting awhile. I have a bing 84 for it as a backup,So that is in good shape. Will throw that on and see what happens.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 pm

What's that White stuff, it looks slippery? Focus your heater on the hull, a thin layer of water between hull and snow will do wonders and probably heat that little cab via aluminum hull just fine. Run the exhaust through cab for heating and you better add a carbon monoxide sensor...

Front finally hit this evening, down into the 70's, fall is finally here, yeehaw. With luck we might have more than 2 days of winter. Damn, I wish it snowed hard all winter here. I still want heat, humidity and mosquitoes otherwise, just looking to keep the Yankees away all year.

I actually found a set of orange tipped fiberglass rods at the Jupiter, Fla. Walmart. They are for marking your driveway when the snow get's high. Set of 6 for $4. Bought the set for my Airboat Flag, got plenty spare rods now! Look for them in the Auto section.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:42 pm

OMG, thanks Gator. Will try It right now ! All y’all Cubans are the nicest people !

bkmail
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bkmail » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:34 am

Thin layer of water under the hull will freeze you solid when you stop. Park it on some branches or 2x4.
My big boat moves at idle, and it weighs 4000lbs. +.
Look forward to the day when you can run the slough a few times and get a feel for the boat in its intended application.
Sliding on snow isa blast, be careful though...

Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.bkmarineservices.com
https://m.facebook.com/BKMarineServices

502 BBC on a 18' Alumitech 2.68 Stinger box, w/84" 4 blade Whisper Tip Whirlwind blades.

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamper2 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:14 am

swamper2 wrote:
Jssflyer wrote:Hey swamper 2. Do you mean like a shroud around the muffler or head with forced air back into the cab? I thought about it, as it is common with ultralights. But they have really nice straight lines to get inside the cab. I thought it would be a lot of work to put a scoop behind the prop, turn it around under the decking, turn upwards towards the head, wrap around the head, then back together to duct into the back of the seat. With no idea of it would work or burn up the head....if different idea, please share.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/s ... eat%20muff just some ideas, nice project and you might have a new business, congrats
Your going to need some heat in the cab to keep the windows from steaming up and carb heat also might be needed. you could also put an adjustable vent on the back of the cab and let the low pressure/ suction pull the heat in.

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks swamper, ILooked at the muffler real close, and I think a heat muff wrapped around the silencer would work. Will try that.
Testing version 2.0. Broke my pulleys on the rudder control pulleys. Will replace with larger , stronger pulleys. It did have enough power to go through a ditch, climb over several large logs and run around in a plowed field until the pulleys broke. Nicked the prop ends. So, some work left to fix this stuff. But she’s running ok, and has the power to move around pretty good. Will switch to larger prop would should increase thrust by 25%. Videos in a few days.

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Testing.
Ok. 2 runs under my belt. Short runs. But informative. Found a bad ground on the first run and a gummed up carb. Fixed both of those and got her out again today. Could tell she was running rich , today. But running well enough to idle and provide decent power. I have the jets, and will tune tomorrow to swing bigger prop.
Got her out today and ran around a bit until I heard a pop, followed by a bang, then a pop, ,bang..shut her down.
I broke the rudder cable guide pulleys. I am sure this is because of the width of my rudder with the small hinge point of 3” back. I did that because of overall length restrictions of the boat. I needed the that 3-4” inches where I should have put the hinge point of the rudder.so, to compensate for that gamble, I put in a stiffener in the rudder at 12” width in case I needed to cut of the back 6” off the rudder. Which I think I will do. There is a lot of force required to turn the rudder.hence the broken pulleys. Will replace with stronger pulleys and cut the rudder to lighten steering pressures.
All in all. I answered several key questions.
1. Enough power. Yes. No doubt. Haven’t been able to get over half throttle and she’s is moving! Able to climb obstacles.
2. Airflow. No problem yet. This is testing with smallest prop. Will only get better with the bigger props.
3. Rudder. Fail, kinda. It works...just needs refining.
4. Snow, it works great on snow.
Not enough run time to answer the other 300 questions. But those will be coming soon. The weather is going to cooperate for the next few days. I will be doing more testing and shooting videos this week.

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:50 pm

First test Videos
YouTube. Solo Recon Mini Airboat.
A few short videos of the real first test. A big success in my book. It definitely is weight shiftable and Carves more than slides. And that is Exactly what I was going for. An flat bottom airboat with the carving ability of a shallow vee jet boat.
Planes on the snow, well it did for the first few minutes until the prop iced up. It’s an ice fog day.
Still needs tuning to get the carb and airbox situation right. Not getting top 25% of rpms. Needs better rudder authority and a heater. But I see that I accomplished 60% of my performance and handling goals on the first try. Tinkering to come , but really excited.
Thanks to all for all the feedback and replies. Every one is appreciated.
Attachments
B89A35BA-C989-44E0-B93D-FFF0BA094F2D.jpeg
65CB1BD8-40B8-4BC4-A19E-2831F9CF505D.jpeg

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Jssflyer I embedded the videos into your post! :salute:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jssflyer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks Kwan. I did this on an iPad and it’s just shows YouTube.com for the url...my p.c. Lists it all the way out. I’m not an apple guy...will figure it out. Appreciate it !,,

Air canada
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Air canada » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:17 am

LOVe the build ! How much hp and tourqe does that motor make ? looks like a apache chopper cab. have you water tested it yet looking forward to see that !! Wish I had a cab like that on my mini pro 116
:canada:

Return to “Mini-Airboats”