Rotax powered Can Am

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
Dawson1118
Southern Airboat Member

Rotax powered Can Am

Postby Dawson1118 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:51 am

I am just wanting to get some imput. I have been talking about building a boat for awhile now for my son. I have been in the powersports industry for a good while now, and have several parts. I am wanting to power the boat with a 800cc or 1000cc Can Am V twin engine. It would be FI. Would be around 100hp. This would be the same motor Can Am puts on their SXS or ATV. Has anyone tried this. And also what site to i get the gear reductions from for the minis. Thanx

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Rotax powered Can Am

Postby papajack » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 pm

Rotax 583, 618 & 670 with provision 8 cases accept Rotax gearboxes and are built for a prop application. Don't know about can-am Rotax motors. Good luck with the build. If you search here in the mini airboat forum there is some information on Rotax builds.

NorthWestFloridaBoy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Rotax powered Can Am

Postby NorthWestFloridaBoy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Like the guy above said. It's been done, rotax already has made or still makes engines to do what your trying to do. The only reason to want a rotax boat and NOT use a 583 or the like with a gearbox made for it would be because one could get the engine for cheap and had access to a machine shop to build a belt drive . Otherwise you'd be better off getting a used rotax 912. Its a rotax through and through and it was made to do what your wanting it to do from the ground up. That's just my personal opinion on it. I personally would love one of the big flat 4 hirths making about 85-100hp on a light 11x6 or so.

Return to “Mini-Airboats”