ivo?

How to soup'em up...a little less moderated...medium skin thickness required!
beville
Southern Airboat Member

ivo?

Postby beville » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:44 pm

any opinions on a 3 blade ivoprop for a 4 cylinder?
I WANNA GO FAST!!!!

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: ivo?

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:43 pm

yeah leave lots of room for the prop to flex forward when taking off .. like 8" and don't count on much push on ground until the flex routine is over.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Jimmy Rickards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Jimmy Rickards » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:25 pm

Those things are junk!! JMO.
If your dog doesn't like someone. You probably shouldn't either

Qwikdiesel
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Qwikdiesel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:23 am

JUNK!!!
Rule #1.. There Not Fake If You Can Touch Them!!

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:46 am

Ivo's work good for what they were designed for originally ... and it wasn't airboats. The load placed on a prop when sitting down in the water or on the bank is tremendous. I have used the Ivo on mini's in the water and they work fine but the boat is very light. The props are very inexpensive they are actually the fastest prop on a mini but they have to "wind up" or get the flex out of them but then they go real well. I wouldn't suggest them for a full size airboat but everyone is looking for a 100 dollar bill that is worth a thousand that can be bought for 10 ...
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby airduds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:43 am

I had stacked 3b Ivos on my old 18' Alumitec barge with 454/425 and 2:1 belt drive. It ran like a scalded dog and ran the hill with ease.

My problem was they just wouldn't hold up. The leading edge tape (it wasn't much thicker than the stuff used on ac ducts) would wear off and then the blade would start delaminating.

I would like to try what they call their "wide" (they aren't) blades with nickel leading edges but with my 2.68 box I don't think I can spin them fast enough to work. Plus, I don't think they do the 30-day free trial like the others.

But it's neat adjusting all the blades at once just by turning one screw.
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby MYDIXIEWRECKED » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:02 pm

I agree! JUNK! :shock:
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

beville
Southern Airboat Member

Postby beville » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:22 pm

alright thats what i thought thanks for yalls opinions
I WANNA GO FAST!!!!

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby grant » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:37 am

I am not a fan of IVO PROP.
However they probably have a use that they do well, or they wouldn't remain in business.
That being said, I think calling them "junk" is uncalled for. If I stated my opinion about the props I don't like, or even the reasons I don't like them, the thread would be deleted for "BASHING". I see the same things being said about wood props and they ar still used on certified airplanes. Most props are just fine as long as they are kept within their suggested range of operation and properly maintained!

If y'all want a prop bashing thread I got a lot to say!!!
"Don't Taze me Bro"

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks Grant ... once again someone is looking for a hundred dollar bill for ten bucks that is worth a thousand. IVO props are good for light applications. The thin skinny blades flex as they are ...put very simply... hauling the whole load on them and until it gets moving they will move forward a warp drive does the same thing but to a lesser degree. They are inexpensive compared to the others and there is a reason they cost less. But you are right ... they are not junk they are just mis-used and misunderstood on limitations. Call Ivo he will tell you what is required for clearance and what they are good forr application wise. They will not replace my 5 blade superwide but they don't cost as much either. they do work great on a mini with the briggs or kohler engine on it if you use the right length. Cntry

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby chuckitt@earthlink.net » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:16 am

On cntry141ig's minipro 105, the 60 inch IVO 3 blade with the 40 HP kohler ran 48 MPH and the 3 blade 60 inch warp drive 0nly ran 41.7 MPH. On Jerry Calhoun's RD2 with the 40 HP kohler and the 60 inch IVO got on plane with 5 men and 3 dogs. The design of the airfoil and helix of the IVO blades is one of the best on the market, however to make them a quick ajust prop with a cam action and torsion rods, the epoxy in the blades has to be flexible which lets the tip of the blades move forward up to 4.5 inches on static loads. This makes the prop not good for ground running and the gelcoat finish not good for running in weeds. The benefits are it cost $ 600.00 while the warp drive is $ 1135.00. It is the easyest adjustible prop to install, change the pitch on, and remove than any prop on the market. It is the ultra lite version we are using on the mini airboats.
Thanks, Chuck

Marshjunky
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Marshjunky » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:31 pm

Super junk
JUST GAS ON IT

beville
Southern Airboat Member

Postby beville » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:14 pm

alright guys thanks for all the input i found out theyre not for me!!
I WANNA GO FAST!!!!

bobbytamp
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bobbytamp » Sun May 31, 2009 9:51 pm

They're better than they're given credit for. Chuck of Air Boat Pro's at Panasofkee ran and raced Ivo's (personally) while affiliated with Dick Hoffmann. Ask Chuck what he won.

Return to “High Performance Talk”