Wierd oil leak? Need help!!!

How to soup'em up...a little less moderated...medium skin thickness required!
Blownaway
Southern Airboat Member

Wierd oil leak? Need help!!!

Post by Blownaway » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Ok I'm stumped. I'd ask my engine builder to look at it for me seeing how it is under warranty, but those hand shack warranties SUCK :x :x Well my oil leak runs from the head bolt under the #7 exhaust port of my chevy 383 with Vortec cast iron heads. Now I know oil doesn't run anywhere close to that bolt inside the casting and I know there is no pressure only drain back so it should be impossible for oil to leak out of the head bolt. I cleaned the engine wiped it dry and ran engine about 1 hour. Oil was seaping from around head of the head bolt straight down as if a line was drawn with a marker. No oil around or out of spark plug hole even removed plug no sign of oil. Took white cloth wiped above header around to back of head to see if any trace of oil leaking from valve cover none found. No oil found in header or exhaust that I can see. The only oil I find is from under the flange head of the head bolt running straight down to the gasket area. I know oil can travel and look like it is coming from one place but be from somewhere else, but with no signs of oil around here it has me baffled. :scratch: :scratch: Has anyone ever seen this or have any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help. :D :D Sorry so long of a description.
13ft DiamondBack, GTO/MAS 383 Stroker, 2.68:1 Rotator, 8 Blade Saber, Just Havin' Fun!

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Wierd oil leak? Need help!!!

Post by aherr520 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:33 pm

Dan you can just use a tube of sealant it fix's everything,well I hope you get it fixed I need to get back over there and ride :)
aaof member

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 am

How much time did the engine have on it since build/rebuild before this began?

Is it possible the hole for the bolt had some oil in the bottom when it was put together and torqued? Remove bolt, spray out hole with degreaser then use antiseize and return bolt and torque maybe. Strange for sure.

Only other thing I can think of is a trip to the machine shop with the heads and block and have them checked for flat surfaces.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

It sounds like you are complaining on this public forum before contacting your engine builder.
If indeed it is still under warranty, you should contact the builder and give him the chance
to make it good before complaining to the world. Sometimes those handshake warranties are
good as gold. JMO. or it could be I missunderstood your original post.
:rebel:
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

Blownaway
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Blownaway » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 am

K-mac wrote:It sounds like you are complaining on this public forum before contacting your engine builder.
If indeed it is still under warranty, you should contact the builder and give him the chance
to make it good before complaining to the world. Sometimes those handshake warranties are
good as gold. JMO. or it could be I missunderstood your original post.
Not complaining. If I wanted to complain about him I'd post more than that. Just FYI I have sent 166 text over 6 months, numerous e-mails and phone calls. The only time he ever called back was when I left a message stating if I don't here back from you soon the next call will be from my lawyer. 10 seconds later I got mother F'd on the phone not bring it down and let me look at it. :banghead: Thanks for keeping me in check. :thumbleft: All I wanted to state was get it in writing as I asked for, but was told his hand shake man to man was better than any piece of paper. God Bless!!!
13ft DiamondBack, GTO/MAS 383 Stroker, 2.68:1 Rotator, 8 Blade Saber, Just Havin' Fun!

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 am

I had a crazy one on my Mast Supercharged engine, oil on the starter nose and in the last spark plug hole around the threads. I went OMG called Mast and they said oil cooler adapter leaking, I was like cannot be we have degreased engine and no oil leaking on the other side of the engine. But changed the gasket and even though did not see any oil but hard to tell after pulling it off and poof no more oil leak. SO you are correct the prop can pull it from strange places. So I would recheck filter etc any where oil is routed, good luck.

Ps complain away, we can cheerlead all we want so IMO I think we can complain as well as long as you follow the rules which you did, :roll:
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Blownaway
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Blownaway » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm

HuntingBigun wrote:I had a crazy one on my Mast Supercharged engine, oil on the starter nose and in the last spark plug hole around the threads. I went OMG called Mast and they said oil cooler adapter leaking, I was like cannot be we have degreased engine and no oil leaking on the other side of the engine. But changed the gasket and even though did not see any oil but hard to tell after pulling it off and poof no more oil leak. SO you are correct the prop can pull it from strange places. So I would recheck filter etc any where oil is routed, good luck.

Ps complain away, we can cheerlead all we want so IMO I think we can complain as well as long as you follow the rules which you did, :roll:

Thanks for the advise. I ran it again and shut it down then looked at it. You could see little air bubbles pushing out from under the head bolt. I think the bolt may be leaking coolant from threads and pushing any oil that was on bolt during assembly out. This engine doesn't have more than 30 hrs on it. So just to see if it was threads I put a bottle of Bars Permanent Block Sealer in it. Ran it a few times and so far no little leak. :cheers: I may need to retorque the head bolts and make sure they are tight or just pull it apart and put new head gaskets on it. Thanks again.

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 pm

I stand corrected. Hope you get it worked out OK.
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

Blownaway
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Blownaway » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 am

Well I'm slower than most due to health, but I got her figured out. Heads were loose. Before I pulled the heads off I checked the torgue of the bolts. Set the torgue wrench to 65 ftlbs and all bolts turned at least 3/4 of a turn. Heads probably set at 40 ftlbs or so. Next I was to have Beehive or dualsprings it only had single with dampner. Make a short story out of this I put new RHS heads, Cometic gaskets, ARP bolts, new hardened push rods that were the correct length this time and "Bamm" no leaks, no pressure in cooling system, and I gained 5 degrees pitch on my prop. That's where I will end this so no feelings will be hurt. Just glad to finally have my boat running like it should. Shame I had to do it myself. I'll try to post some pics of the tear down to show the coolant on the pistons and the oil being pushed around under the head gasket. It will blow your mind that this engine only had 30 hrs on it.

Return to “High Performance Talk”