how heavy is diamondbacks aluminum rigging?

How to soup'em up...a little less moderated...medium skin thickness required!
JLH
Southern Airboat Member

Re: how heavy is diamondbacks aluminum rigging?

Post by JLH » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:35 pm

when i ordered my rigging built i was skepical due to seeing a crashed boat with thin wall aluminum, so I had it built out of thicker wall(not sure of wall thickness). when i took it off the boat trailer at the powder coaters i was surprised it took 3 guys to lift it off. seat package is part of gaurd. way heavy. would have been better off with conduit and brazin it. there are brazed rigs still running around melbourne that were put together 20 years ago and not broke. we dont run the river or trails much as we run the grass my hope is that the aluminum rigging will hold up better. but then again it is a 7 runner boat that is very heavy but the jurnigan engine pushes it well.

blown480
Southern Airboat Member

Post by blown480 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:11 pm

gyrocopter582 wrote:Another question, does anyone know of a source for chromoly tubing,
near the East coast of Fl, or Orlando?
In the past, I have ordered from Aircraft Spruce, OUCH.
call me i order wholesale c/moly often,321-636-4897,danny,cocoa,fl

fulldeck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fulldeck » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:29 am

first of all there is nosuch thing as a bad bj. just some are better than others, and that is the recevers opinion. just like the rigging, what works for you is what you want whatever it's made of.

air-roberts
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by air-roberts » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:52 am

aluminum in my opinion is out of the question you have to go to thick to accomplish the same strength chromoly is to brittle for a everyday ride boat so you want something that will give a little like someone said earlier they've seen a conduit brazed rigging still out there and i believe it it moves but don';t break i like using softer material and building your strenght on bar placement. i was taught in structure school always think of angles and pyramids never strait and use each bar for more than one purpose. and yes you should weld either mig or tig but the key is never max out the amps better having more amps then turn it down.
Air-RobertsImage
experimenting with old step w/t experimental 384.8 c.i. nos 2.68 rotator, 80" three bld ? R
http://www.bcraceengineering.com
Thanks to dave http://waterthunder.com/
New & Used PROPs
WhirlWind prop dealer

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:07 am

id bet after a 12pk i could piss the difference in the weight ...of them 2 conduit it def. lighter then dom i just did my boat in boat a 10ft dom weights about as much as 1-3/4 and 1- 1/2 togeather
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:15 pm

If the aluminum is a larger tube it will also carry a larger wind profile. I had a buddy with a fancy Al rigging it was unreal how a slight cross wind effected his boat.

In an airboats, aerodynamics are just as import as weight.

Just my thoughts.

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by wildcard » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:56 pm

I have a diamondback 14 x 7.6 aluminum 383 2.37 rotator stacked 5 blades 40 gallon fuel tank ,two single ,front seat is double ,both have dry boxes my boat weighs 2384 on my race car scales full of fuel you know my boat

midnight rider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by midnight rider » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:12 pm

An approx. weight for conduit would be 22lb per 100 linear ft of 1/2in trade size diameter. And 45lb per 100 ft of trade size 3/4. I think most builders use .063 wall thickness on stainless so that could be looked up easily for the weight. Dont really know about alum.

R Peterson
Southern Airboat Member

Post by R Peterson » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm

wildcard- Is that weight with or without the budweiser?????

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by wildcard » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:20 pm

with out +200 with :lol: :lol: :lol:

R Peterson
Southern Airboat Member

Post by R Peterson » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:30 pm

thought so- I know you come prepared

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by aherr520 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:31 pm

One Eyed Gator wrote:If the aluminum is a larger tube it will also carry a larger wind profile. I had a buddy with a fancy Al rigging it was unreal how a slight cross wind effected his boat.

In an airboats, aerodynamics are just as import as weight.

Just my thoughts.
that is what my thoughts are,I have trying to think of a way to cut down on wind resistence,in my opinon the aluminum rigging is real nice but heaver and bigger in diamiter
aaof member

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by wildcard » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:50 pm

I don"t know weight difference but do know cleaning difference,a pain in the a$$ my wife wanted aluminum guess what ? I clean boat she doesn;t do like it though but have to check for cracks.9 years only two ,and people that know me know for an old fart I go where I want to go. diamondback has the best of any around performance :rebel:I might not have the fastest boat but I;ll bet no one has pulled as many boats as I have no matter how big or small,no one left behind :old_glory: :old_glory: :rebel:

Return to “High Performance Talk”