New Scorpion DD, WaterThunder powered boat

How to soup'em up...a little less moderated...medium skin thickness required!
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: New Scorpion DD, WaterThunder powered boat

Post by Tony480 »

akblackdawg wrote:He!!, i can do that with my bbc 496. it gets 6-7 gal per hr, and will run 60 mph or better, that would work out to doing that circuit in just over a hour........maybe i need to bring it down there and run with you guys, .......maybe i got something here......maybe something is wrong with my math, i'd better have another drink. Bud :drunken: :drunken:
Wow!! Really?? Yea it may burn 7 gallons an hour. But that's at cruise. And your boat may run 60 if your lucky and that's wfo. I bet it would burn 30 gallons an hour then...use your head
Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Better back away from the bong, Bud.

Your math isn't bad . . .
you'd just have to run around 90 mph for an hour AND only burn six gallons. :lol: :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan
Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

My 125 cruised at nothin and i went from overstreet around the lake ridge bus and back around on 8 so i have a hard time believin 6
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X
big3country8
Southern Airboat Member

Post by big3country8 »

Last trip to kissimee with terry and helms I brought 30gal in the tank and burnt half that from cypress to camp mack lol. Ended up putting 15 more in it and by the time we got back I had about a half a tank so id say 30 gal. But thats a 582bbc with a 1250 dominator sucking it down... and we did do a lil bit of racing. Terry what did the vapor burn that day?
Temporary High
12' clendenin aluminum step with poly, 418 waterthunder, 2.68 OX, 9 blade saber, ATF rigged, nitrous outlet,, buttrax custom seats.
harley
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by harley »

:? . something sounds a miss here . all day is 24 hr - 1/2 day is 12 hr - 1/3 day is 8 hr. ok lets say it was an 8 hr day that is a lot of stright riding for a boat .. if you was running only 25 mph that would be 200 miles at 6 gals that is around 32-34 mpg that's a lot for any boat.. and half that is 4 hr and 100 miles that would be around 16-18 mpg on 6 gals of fuel... my math may be off some what but close. :? something sounds very fishy here.. :shock: ... hell my boat gets only 21/2 mpg ... :thumbleft:
:dontknow:
P.S lake kiss is 40 miles all the way around the out sides of it.. x2 = 80 miles
Last edited by harley on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14x8 Diamondback / SBC Power.

"ALL THROTTLE NO BOTTLE"
Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

Give me a break,,, OK let's put it this way when everyone but James burns 25 gallons or more and James burns a 16 to 18 I burn 6 gallons. I have done that loop 3 times and everytime,, who ever I rode with burned 3 times the fuel YES THREE TIMES THE FUEL!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316
harley
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by harley »

not taking any sides here , just did a little math here ,, like i said my math may be off some what.
14x8 Diamondback / SBC Power.

"ALL THROTTLE NO BOTTLE"
DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

harley wrote:not taking any sides here , just did a little math here ,, like i said my math may be off some what.
Dave said he rode all day, then already clarified what he meant by stating that he put in at 8-9am and got back at 6pm. That's 9-10 hours so no need to worry about the literal definition of "all day". He mentioned that James rode with him and burned 18 gallons. James confirmed that statement by saying he thinks they rode 40-50 miles and yes he burned 18 gallons. So now the claim looks like the DD rode 40-50 miles over the coarse of 9-10 hours and burned 6 gallons of fuel. That means he's claiming he got as high as 8.3 mpg if he went a full 50 miles on 6 gallons exactly. Or as low as 6.25 mpg if he only went 40 miles on 6.4gallons and rounded it down to 6 gallons. Ok now you got a lot of math to look over so I guess you won't be posting up for a little bit. :stirpot: Either way I run an AC boat so I'm not sticking up for Dave because I run one of his motors I just like technical data.
Last edited by DDSBC on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

I'm trying to stay out of this, but a WaterThunder LS-DD motor will shame any aircraft engine on fuel mileage, and he can also fill it up at any RaceTrac.
More, it'll be quieter and run anywhere a sane man needs to run. Faster than ... ?? Who cares. Really.

I rest my case.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW
KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 »

like I said when this boat is done we can line them up, and we can also see who runs out of fuel first. I know how much gas I burn in a 40 to 50 mile ride, I'll keep that to myself, not damage the betting pool.

I have heard all these out of the wood work experts like Olf Art and ain't 1 of you mentioned the only thing that matters, and there is a reason james boat burned less than all those others.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235
Crown Royal
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Crown Royal »

I know this last trip where we went to kiss with Terry I burned about 14 gallons I'd like some other people to chime in to see how many gallons they burn that day..

We ran that day with Terry and Helms 13'6" DB with 4 people on it small block 421ci burned 25gal.
He'll Helms boat was a tour boat took just about everybody there on a 80+mph ride. Damn boys that boat strolls along nice
http://www.altmansac.com/

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."HOLY SHIT, WHAT A RIDE

Proud member of OUTLAWAIRBOATCLUB.COM

SOUTHERN OUTLAW
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

It's all in the set up. A free running hull is gonna burn less.
DirtPoor
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DirtPoor »

Lmao! Who's the one in the neighborhood there your talking about! Is it me kinda sounds like it!
rdr822
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rdr822 »

Olf Art wrote:I'm trying to stay out of this, but a WaterThunder LS-DD motor will shame any aircraft engine on fuel mileage, and he can also fill it up at any RaceTrac.
More, it'll be quieter and run anywhere a sane man needs to run. Faster than ... ?? Who cares. Really.

I rest my case.

I don't no why y'all say we can't get gas at the gas station I do it all the time and been doing it for years with a straight valve 540. 5 years with this one. And 7 with my old boat. And running dry most of the time hog and deer hunting. I don't no who gets better gas mileage don't really care when it's empty put gas in it.
DDPWRD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DDPWRD »

Olf Art wrote:I'm trying to stay out of this, but a WaterThunder LS-DD motor will shame any aircraft engine on fuel mileage, and he can also fill it up at any RaceTrac.

I rest my case.
:thumbleft: :thumbleft:
BLOWIN THE WIND
Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

I rest my case.
how will it be quieter that part i dont get dds whether ac or cm still turn the prop the same speed
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X
DDPWRD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DDPWRD »

Engine noise is typically less
BLOWIN THE WIND
rdr822
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rdr822 »

Who cares there all loud. I know mines loud use to have a dd caddy hunt with us and it was loud too.
sidejobs
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sidejobs »

My dd is kinda loud. Lol
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DDPWRD »

Theye are
BLOWIN THE WIND
gchuckie
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gchuckie »

KR23 wrote:Please let me know when this boat is done, I have just about the same set-up, but with a 0540 and we can compare.
X2 :stirpot:
SwampCritter84
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by SwampCritter84 »

Man I can't believe y'all sissies are arguing over fuel.. Haha, y'all will fight over anything... Lol, not to take side but back when that dd step was running, Dave did say that it would cruise in deep water at 8-900 rpms, that's like idling for a day, if you think about it. But I can see how it would blow your mind to think just 6 gallons, but hell who am I, Y'all carry on... Lmfao :lol:
Cast Iron Corruption on its way
B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White »

SwampCritter84 wrote:Man I can't believe y'all sissies are arguing over fuel.. Haha, y'all will fight over anything... Lol, not to take side but back when that dd step was running, Dave did say that it would cruise in deep water at 8-900 rpms, that's like idling for a day, if you think about it. But I can see how it would blow your mind to think just 6 gallons, but hell who am I, Y'all carry on... Lmfao :lol:
:thumbleft: :thumbleft: moat race boats will.. :salute: :salute:
Devil in the Bottle 83 ProMod
Marsh Master Step
Carbon Fiber Rudders by:HAMMERHEAD AVIATION.com
Prop is NOTHING BUT A WHIRLWIND!!!
RAZORX
SwampCritter84
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by SwampCritter84 »

B-White wrote:
SwampCritter84 wrote:Man I can't believe y'all sissies are arguing over fuel.. Haha, y'all will fight over anything... Lol, not to take side but back when that dd step was running, Dave did say that it would cruise in deep water at 8-900 rpms, that's like idling for a day, if you think about it. But I can see how it would blow your mind to think just 6 gallons, but hell who am I, Y'all carry on... Lmfao :lol:
:thumbleft: :thumbleft: moat race boats will.. :salute: :salute:
Hell what'd y'all burn goin to the oak trees and back that night, well actually only there, not to bring up a sore subject.. Lol, :shock: :lol: jk
Cast Iron Corruption on its way
B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White »

Maybe 1 1/2 gal???? ($30)
Devil in the Bottle 83 ProMod
Marsh Master Step
Carbon Fiber Rudders by:HAMMERHEAD AVIATION.com
Prop is NOTHING BUT A WHIRLWIND!!!
RAZORX

Return to “High Performance Talk”