Eastern Airlines flight 401 Memorial

All about Bud Marquis & the people he helped that night.
basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by basketcase0302 »

Hey ya'll,

I'm gonna start this thread here cause the original effort for Mr. Marquis has grown to such magnitude, probably larger than any other single fund-raising effort we've all done here before!

From the 401 website, http://eastern401.googlepages.com/
There is discussion of placing of a memorial at the crash site for those that lost their lives, and those that took on the daunting task of the rescue efforts on that cold night in the Everglades.

And from the original Eastern 401 thread I have been challenged,

*********** said:
I nominate you to spearhead the effort. It will be a GREAT project! The accomplishment of getting a memorial erected will be a great demonstration of the ability of the airboating community to git r'dun! The ball is in your hands. I would love to see a touch down.
This is a task that a blue-collar/joe-airboater like myself could never accomplish. I could never possibly "chair" such an endeavor as I do not have the political manners to make this happen if permitting via Corp of Engineers or SFWMD for such monument were involved. *********** knows this! Yet being the former "Safety Director" of the FAA he quite possibly has the contacts and resources to make this happen. If he could just get this chip off his shoulder...

*********** said:
Some interested person should pick up the ball and run with it. There used to be a couple of folks in the FAA who would and could do it.
It is now time to see what the new and improved FAA can do.

As I too will do everything in my capacity to help, I also know when I'm not capable of doing something. I will respectfully decline taking on such an endeavor as large as this. And since there are key players here...
please let Myself or John C or *********** know we don't want to step on any ones toes and all need to be on the same sheet of music

Would only make sense to nominate *********** to spearhead the memorial effort! Please sir take this ball and run with it, (I'm never been much of a "stick-and-ball" kinda sports guy anyway)! Motorsports rock!

Basketcase

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Well said, Jeff. I would be in the same position as you. I have the desire, but I wouldn't have a clue where to begin on a project that important.

olf
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt »

Right on Basket! VERY well said. I also noticed the chip.

A memorial would be great. On the actual site? The tour boat operators would LOVE that.

It would be a cool thing, and when I would find myself in the area - I would be sure to stop and offer a moment of silence and a little prayer for those whose lives ended on that spot that day so long ago.

If it did not get built - It would still not be forgotten. I could still get out my GPS and find the site on my own, and still have the same moment of silence and say the same prayer.
It would just be a better experience if there were a nice monument there.

START DISCLAIMER:
Just because I'm interested in or would like to see a memorial does not mean I am volunteering or capable of heading up the committee to build it. It just means I would enjoy and respect it. I would support anyone who did build it.
END DISCLAIMER.

matt.

jpatter123
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jpatter123 »

Who owns the land of the crash site? I know it was said 3b .. is that water management, parks, indian or private? Best bet would be private but for some reason I doubt it. If its on indian land I can get you the contacts and I think it could still be possible. If its state or federal hold on to your hat. This would have to go through several commitees worst of all would be the DEP. Do you know according to the DEP you are breaking the law if you even mow the grass on wetlands even if you own the property. I imagine it would have to be spearheaded by a governmental organizatoin in order to get DEP approval on wetlands to do anything especially if it ment raising the ground height. This is in Dade county right? I would say your best bet would be to start at the dade county developmental services planning department.
You'll need plans, drawings over arial views of the site, ground elevation measurements of the site, final elevations of the site once completed, plans for control of building material so it cannot be spread into the water system, methods to control of traffic over surrounding wetlands etc etc etc etc.
I wish you luck! if you need help with drawing plans however I can draw it out in autocad. But someone would have to supply me with ALL the data and I couldn't gaurantee a deadline. I still say though if you don't get the government itself to spearhead this it will never be approved. The DEP just isn't a compassionate entity and will not trade wetland credits because this is in the everglades.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

I'd bet that if we can get the Governor on board for this, he'd be able to handle the Feds.

jpatter123
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jpatter123 »

I'd give it hell trying Olf. Time for people to start sending letters.

Ms. Wizard
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

memorial

Post by Ms. Wizard »

I know the thought of a memorial may be just that, a thought, due to possible political issues. However, I would be more than happy to draft a letter to Governor Crist on this.

Would a memorial step on Mr. Marquis's toes? I don't believe it would. It's presence would be more for the folks who lost their lives. A memorial is something to honor the fallen. We are recognizing Mr. Marquis in other ways.

What do you all think?

dawn
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...."Oh *%$@, she's awake!"

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

I agree, Dawn. The memorial will be all about the lives of those lost that night, and which seem to have been forgotten by everyone until now.

Mr. Marquis is a separate matter IMO, one that we can handle without permission from anyone.

olf

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

bump.

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C »

Mrs. Wizard, any more thoughts on drafting a letter to Governor Crist? It might be worth a try. I still can't believe that one does not already exist.
I know that we have our hands full with the fund raiser and boat restoration. But a well drafted letter to the Governor might just open a door and get the attention of the right people.

airboat4fun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airboat4fun »

the valu-jet memorial is not AT the crash site out in the Everglades.
It is right off the Tamiami Trail just across the canal on the levee where anyone can drive up to it to pay respect.
easier than trying to get permission from the .gov to have one in the marsh at the crash site

crabby
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by crabby »

You folks are bringing up some interesting points.
God Bless Our Troops

Ms. Wizard
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

memorial

Post by Ms. Wizard »

Randy, you make a very valid point. I would be happy to draft a letter to our Gov. I believe that with the support growing from all sides of this i.e. Eastern Airlines folks, family members, survivors, etc. it may just be reality to plant something off the trail. I will draft a letter anyway just in case.

dawn
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...."Oh *%$@, she's awake!"

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt »

Holiday Park has some room - and has the traffic. It would be a great location and foot in the door to getting a gladesman's museum.

Not to mention - another airboater foothold on that piece of property.

What better memorial than saving a public access point - to someday launch another rescue in case of a tragedy - God forbid.

just thoughts.

matt.

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Memorial

Post by basketcase0302 »

Hey ya'll,

Just wondering if Glades Cat stumbled onto something or not...

Coincidently, I tried to put in @ the L-67 access ramp on Tues and there was a crane and heavy equipment blocking the levy so I couldn't scout the crash area for a report. They said they'd be out of there in 3 weeks so

And then add...
http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=6820
Gives me reason to be concerned, am I the only one who thinks that Big Brother can "act first/ask forgiveness later"?

Would be kinda hard to make a memorial ride to the site with a "new" dike in the middle of the canal wouldn't it?

Basketcase

Return to “Eastern Airlines Flt 401 Crash”