Bullfrog Bud Marquis Ride, Feast and Appreciation Ceremony

All about Bud Marquis & the people he helped that night.
Swampcritter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Swampcritter » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:20 pm

You might need to put that "whole mess of boiled p-nuts" in a lock down, armed guard mode bondsman. Just a heads up! You know that's the main staple for Southern Folks and I imagine every-body's going to be awfully hungry after their long trips.

"Boiled Peanuts Whip Other Peanuts"

"Study: Boiled Peanuts Are Richer in Antioxidants Than Raw or Roasted Peanuts
By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Medical NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDOct. 26, 2007 -- Boiled peanuts may be the cream of the crop, besting raw peanuts or roasted peanuts in terms of nutrition.

That news comes from food scientists in Alabama, who ought to know about boiled peanuts, which are a Southern snack.

The researchers -- who included graduate student Yvonne Chukwumah and Lloyd Walker, PhD, of Alabama A&M University -- bought peanuts at a grocery store.

Their shopping list included raw Virginia peanuts in the shell, raw peanut kernels, and commercially boiled peanuts.

The scientists boiled the raw peanuts for four hours while the peanuts were still in their shell. They also dry-roasted raw peanut kernels and roasted other raw peanut kernels in oil.

Next, the scientists made an extract from each batch of peanuts.

Lab tests on the peanut extracts show that boiled peanuts had higher levels of antioxidants than the raw and roasted peanuts.

Antioxidants, which come in many forms and are found in plants, may help prevent cancer, heart disease, and other chronic conditions, note the researchers.

The commercially boiled peanuts were a bit higher in a certain antioxidant than the boiled peanuts brewed by the scientists.

When peanuts are boiled in their shell, the peanut kernel absorbs antioxidants that are in the peanut shells and skins. That can't happen with shelled, skinned peanut kernels, the researchers note.

Their findings appear in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry."

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/ ... er-peanuts

You can't expect to keep Health Foods like that away from us Crackers! :shock:

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:33 pm

Well if the boiled P-nuts have antioxidants that prevent heart disease -
the Fired Frog legs must be rich in oxidants that cause it.

Sounds like a BALANCED diet!

:lol:

Little known fact:
Hot sauce lowers cholesterol! I can't find the National Enquirer article that tells about it.... but it must be true - I had a test of over 300 cholesterol - and I did a year of eating blackened, spicy, and hot sauce on everything but Rasin Bran. A year later my cholesterol was 110.

;)

Swampcritter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Swampcritter » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:55 pm

WELL I'LL BE DARN!! I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS A "HEALTH FOOD NUT" TOO!

The Health Benefits of Capsaicin

Capsaicin and substances that contain it are among the most studied of substances in medical, pharmaceutical, and nutrition research. Although many of the claims have not yet been substantiated by scientific research, some of these uses have been around for hundreds of years, and they seem to work for many, many people.

Capsaicin:

1. Improves digestion by stimulating stomach secretions

2. Lowers triglycerides

3. Has a laxative effect

4. Triggers the release of endorphins

5. Unclogs stuffy noses by irritating mucus membranes

6. May reduce high blood pressure

7. May protect against some forms of cancer.

8. Diabetics Take Note!

Capsaicin contains Vitamins A and C, and beta-carotene. It's low in fat, calories and cholesterol. If you thought your diabetic diet was supposed to be boring, try spicing up your cuisine with capsaicin-based products, like hot sauce or jalapeno peppers. And if that's not enough, capsaicin also appears to increase your metabolic rate so you can burn more calories. This is an important finding for dieters. If you sprinkle cayenne pepper flakes on your low-fat pizza or soup, toss some sliced jalapeno peppers into your salad, or chop some habanero peppers into your turkey chili, you may be able to lose weight faster! You'll also benefit from the other perks: lower triglycerides and great digestion.

Improve the odds that your family will reap the health benefits of capsaicin. Keep a bottle of hot sauce on your kitchen table or counter. Low fat tortilla chips and hot sauce make a satisfying appetizer or after-school snack.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Capsicum Cures

Capsaicin has been associated with many cures that include lowering blood pressure, reducing cholesterol and warding off strokes and heart attacks, speeding up metabolism, treating colds and fevers, preventing cancer and pain control. Capsaicin is a flavorless, odorless chemical concentrated in the veins of chiles and peppers.

The seeds grow next to the veins and absorb the chemical. Contrary to popular belief, the seeds are not the hottest part of a chile. Rather, the greatest heat is found in the capsaicin oil, which is found in the membranes and near the stems of chiles plants. Removing the seeds and especially the veins can reduce the heat by up to fifty percent. Otherwise, capsaicin is virtually indestructible and can withstand freezing, cooking and time.

Experts believe that capsaicin acts on and desensitizes nerve fibers that carry pain signals throughout the nervous system. Repeated and high doses of capsaicin prevent sensory nerves from replenishing their chemical stores and they basically run out of neurotransmitters (the chemical agents that transmit the message of pain to a nerve or muscle).

http://www.pyropepper.com/hotsaucefacts.html

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:21 pm

I am no expert on the AAOF grounds. But what I do know is that the open area to the east of the club will be used for over flow parking for trucks and boat trailers. There will be an off duty police officer there to control traffic. there will be extra port-o-lets brought in for bathroom facilities.

Maybe DavieGSO480 or Cherpa will chime in here. I believe that they had 50 Boy scouts camp out there not to long ago with no problems.

I know that they have held BBQ's there with over 1000 people in attendance. This is not their first rodeo.

It is difficult because we cannot take reservations like a campground. And we do not know how many are going to attend. But they have delt with large numbers of people many times before.

bondsman, you are correct. you can not get to the crash site by launching at the club. You have to trailer your boat a few miles and put in on the north side of the the HWY.

If you plan on camping, come early. I know that I do not have to remind anyone of this but remember we are guests here. lets keep the area clean, not take any more space than we need. Be polite. You know the Golden Rule. I'm sure this is going to be a great event. and a good time will be had by all.
Last edited by John C on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:53 pm

I'm planning on bringing a couple 20 lb roasted hams with mojo and a big pot of swamp taters. That's enough pork for 30-40 people.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Davie GSO480
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Davie GSO480 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:47 pm

All I can say is to come as self contained as possible........coolers for meat etc...garbage bags 4 trash....
We have BBQ grills to cook/warm....water
Davie
Proud member of the Airboat Association of Florida.
A Miami Landmark sense 1951
http://www.aaof.com

bowhunter923
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bowhunter923 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:01 pm

Can S.F.W mismanagment open the levy road?? If they did it looks like you could run right up to a few hundred feet of the sight. I do not remember who said to remember the ride but not the site. I agree. Someone recomended to me that tent campers find a pice of the levy out in the area. Then you would not have to deal with stupid people. You would be in a area that only airboaters could get to. Actually, airboaters and F.W.C. But they are usually cool aslong as you don'y have a extra piece of Frog-Tail on your boat.
GOD BLESS AMERICA and those who defend Her

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:49 pm

SFW doesn't have to open the road. you can put in right there. just load up the boat with your gear run around to the levy. Pick a spot on the levy to set up camp and your good to go, if you want to get away from all the hustle & bustle.

kenpine
Southern Airboat Member

Postby kenpine » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:18 pm

Hey Yall

Looking forward to spending an evening/weeking with you fine airboating folks on the 29th. I had a great time at the ceremony and it was great to put a face to the names here.

I stopped by Buds house that night, his family was just leaving and he was in an incredible mood. I stayed about an hour, talked to bud about the day, he was tired but in a fantastic mood as was nancy.

This club is the best. You folks did more than raise money and build a boat, you rebuilt a man and gave him hope once again. We seem to have a brand new bullfrog bud on our hands and everyone here is to blame.

Can't say enough about what you have done for bud and nancy.

ken
Kenneth Pine

Swampcritter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Swampcritter » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:34 am

Hey Ken, I'm glad you were able to make it. You have helped them so much yourself, even before we got involved. You were very instrumental in this whole venture. Thank you for that! :)

How have you been doing? Call me when you get a little free time.

BULL
Southern Airboat Member

Postby BULL » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:47 am

I am new the the forum and sure hope I can make the event to honor BUD.
It's time for me to FLY...

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Bull ! Were glad to have you aboard. You have joined the best airboat forum in the world and of course it is that because of the people here who have made it that. Jump right in with both feet and dont be afraqid to ask questions from philosophical to technical, we have someone who has an answer for you or to at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Glad to have you aboard and hope we get to meet at the ride :)

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

kenpine
Southern Airboat Member

Postby kenpine » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:48 pm

hey swanpcritter,

Thanks, much appreciated. I need you to call me as I have lost your number.

talk soon,

Ken
Kenneth Pine

Swampcritter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Swampcritter » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:54 pm

kenpine wrote:hey swanpcritter,

Thanks, much appreciated. I need you to call me as I have lost your number.

talk soon,

Ken

No problem Ken, will do. It will be over the weekend though not tonight Give Roscoe an extra treat for me tonight... :)

Talk to you soon :)

lgower
Southern Airboat Member

hotel

Postby lgower » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:26 pm

any contact info on the hotel for reservations, thanks, Lee

Swampcritter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Swampcritter » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:00 pm

BULL wrote:I am new the the forum and sure hope I can make the event to honor BUD.

Welcome Bull! You have just found a pretty darn good family! Welcome!
Where do you hail from? How did you hear about BUD? :) Nice to have you aboard!

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby grant » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:03 pm

Welcome Bull!
"Don't Taze me Bro"

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:42 pm

Welcome Bull.

Swampcritter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Swampcritter » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:56 pm

John C wrote:Hey Grant, don't worry about steeping on any toes. No such thing as to many frog legs or to much swamp cabbage. That seems to always run out first.

A couple of my neighborhood friends teen boy's just volunteered to get at least 3 "legal" Swamp Cabbage Hearts, if you are interested. But they are trying to hit me up for an Airboat/Gator Hunt/ day ride also..Do you want me to take their well intended offer or not :)?.

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:12 pm

Well I think an event like this has to have swamp cabbage. Cherpa has offered to clean and cook a big pot of it if we can just get it to him. I say we put him to work and get it to him any way we can. I can't believe with all the members on this site, the only offer we have so far is from your neighbors friends teen boys.

Tell them thank you very much. I do not know exactly where they are, but I'm sure someone on here is close to them and can get them out for a ride.

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:51 am

OK... what can I bring from the North besides comic relief??? Anybody have any suggestions that can be brought on the plane with me and not get me in trouble with the law BEFORE I get there????

Painterchic
Painterchic Custom Paint and Vinyl
607-345-9394
PainterchicVinyl@gmail.com

www.Painterchic.com
Tonia Painterchic Suarez on Facebook
Painterchic Vinyl on Facebook and Etsy
Skeeter Bug Gifts on Facebook

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Daddy Dave » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:53 am

A properly prepared cheese grit.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

a1mudpuppy
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby a1mudpuppy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:02 am

mmmmmmm Cheese grits

Hey Big Daddy How many Mullet do you thing I would need to bring for the cook out? I'm thinking around 100-150? What do you think?

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:18 am

Hey mudpuppy, Its been a long time since I've had a big Ole West Coast black Mullet make sure you save one for me. I lived in Naples back in the 70's and early 80's. I'll bet its been 25 years.

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby painterchic » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:07 am

BigDaddy wrote:A properly prepared cheese grit.

:lol: :lol: You DO realize they won't let me on the plane with that right??? They would think I was a terrorist for sure, properly prepared or not!... they would think it was some new kind of weapon that Osama was testing...(OR was that YOUR plan???? :shock: :shock: But just out of curiosity do you have a preference for your Cheese Grits?? Would you like them plain cheese or garlic, in a cassarole or just the plain creamy kind??? :lol: :lol: :lol: I have options here!

T
Painterchic Custom Paint and Vinyl
607-345-9394
PainterchicVinyl@gmail.com

www.Painterchic.com
Tonia Painterchic Suarez on Facebook
Painterchic Vinyl on Facebook and Etsy
Skeeter Bug Gifts on Facebook

Return to “Eastern Airlines Flt 401 Crash”