Proud father's home raid over facebook photo of his son

A 2nd Amendment discussion.
Tomo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Tomo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:34 am

This is unbelievable but in today's crazy anti-gun environment anything is possible. It is amazing what law enforcement will "TRY" to do to citizens that are not aware of their basic rights. No search warrant, no search!

"Facebook Photo Of Child Holding Rifle Leads To Alleged Late Night Raid On New Jersey Home

Shawn Moore is a certified firearms instructor for the National Rifle Association and a New Jersey hunter education instructor. He was proud of his son for recently passing his hunter’s permit course and posted this picture of his boy in camouflage holding his .22 rifle. A Facebook “friend” saw the picture and reported him to the New Jersey police and Dept. of Children and Families for child endangerment. Moore says that his home was raided, searched, and he was threatened with the loss of custody in response to the complaint"

http://jonathanturley.org/2013/03/20/facebook-photo-of-child-holding-rifle-leads-to-alleged-late-night-raid-on-new-jersey-home/

or

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/familys-home-raided-over-facebook-photo-of-childs-rifle.html
There is nothing so stupid as an educated man, if you get off the thing that he was educated in.
Will Rogers

Tomo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Proud father's home raid over facebook photo of his son

Postby Tomo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:37 am

The Family service person had this to say about the false child abuse call...

“In many cases we may follow up on something and we don’t find any problems and the case is closed,” she said.

But the person who reported the false allegations of abuse cannot be held liable, she noted.

“You can’t be prosecuted for making an allegation of child abuse –even if it’s false,”
:angry5: :angry5:
There is nothing so stupid as an educated man, if you get off the thing that he was educated in.
Will Rogers

Riverjet502
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Riverjet502 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:57 am

Thats a serious flaw in the system. Mean while families get ripped apart and run up undo expenses because some idiot stuck their noise where it didn't belong!!

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Comanche-pup » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:07 am

I have no problem with someone reporting even suspected abuse, but it needs to be abuse that is suspected, a child holding, handling, even firing a firearm is hardly abuse! I have twin boys that shoot with me all the time, even my big bad boogieman AR-15 the most powerful weapon known to man according to msnbc. They are 6, is that abuse, they have a great time doing it, only thing I don't let them shoot is my 12 gauges. IMO that father should be a role model for many that he is actually spending time with his son!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:32 am

The Family services used to be caller HRS (Health & Rehabilitative Service) but had to change their name when they became Widely known as the Home Recker Service. There is a law about making a frivolous complaint and it can be enforced against them, but generally isn't even though it is the law. I won a frivolous complaint against the old HRS back in the late 80s, but got nothing out of it and they really didn't lose anything. This kind of "service" is just one of the many liberal infringements into a family and its become so ingrained that everyone seems to think it is ok now days. They talk a good story but in reality they are FAR FAR from it.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

BluByU2
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby BluByU2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:33 am

This action by the police should never have happened the way it did. Since he was not home at the time, his wife called him on the phone, and he in turn called his attorney. The police were refused entry by the wife, and I'm happy they were not allowed in the house without a warrant. I think they (the family) should also file a formal complaint on the officers who refused to provide their names. Virtually all law enforcement agencies have a S.O.P. which mandates their officers have a name badge, or provide their names when asked. Regardless, this whole fiasco should never have occurred.

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bdriller » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:27 am

with todays hysteria over assault weapons its obvious how that got out of hand after seeing the picture, that picture just stirrs the pot for the gun paranoid sheeple.

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Comanche-pup » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:11 pm

The first thing I noticed was the kids attention to gun safety, his finger straight and off the trigger, from that pic I can only assume his dad has done a good job in teaching safety.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Would I have been proud of my son for completing his gun safety course? Absolutely.
Would I have been stupid enough to post a picture of him on the net, holding a weapon? Nope.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:31 pm

We used to keep state kids who they where not able to find permanent homes for So I can tell you there is unfortunately a need for child services and they are required to instigate all reports ( I find that both a good thing an a bad thing) but this story is way out of whack first off they almost always contact the child away form the parents at school or somewhere like that second off when they show up at the house they have a warrant and they don't ask to see anything specific like "your guns and gun safe" even if that is what there looking for.
I'd say there using that facebook picture as justification for harassment with some hidden intent , one reason I do play on facebook much

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bdriller » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:04 pm

goldhunter_2 wrote:We used to keep state kids who they where not able to find permanent homes for So I can tell you there is unfortunately a need for child services and they are required to instigate all reports ( I find that both a good thing an a bad thing) but this story is way out of whack first off they almost always contact the child away form the parents at school or somewhere like that second off when they show up at the house they have a warrant and they don't ask to see anything specific like "your guns and gun safe" even if that is what there looking for.
I'd say there using that facebook picture as justification for harassment with some hidden intent , one reason I do play on facebook much

yea theres more to this than meets the eye also why does people insist that the kid is holding a 22

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:26 pm

guns like automobiles have changed there appearance to meet modern demand , that very well could be a a 22 I know the AR's come in 22 but I don't see what difference it it is in this case

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Tomo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Tomo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Bdriller wrote:
goldhunter_2 wrote:We used to keep state kids who they where not able to find permanent homes for So I can tell you there is unfortunately a need for child services and they are required to instigate all reports ( I find that both a good thing an a bad thing) but this story is way out of whack first off they almost always contact the child away form the parents at school or somewhere like that second off when they show up at the house they have a warrant and they don't ask to see anything specific like "your guns and gun safe" even if that is what there looking for.

yea theres more to this than meets the eye also why does people insist that the kid is holding a 22

I agree it does not matter but the article stated it was a 22 rifle.
Olf you are right about posting it online. Perhaps a bit to much. Facebook is a dangerous place where people tend to give up nearly all there privacy willingly. I admit I was setup on Facebook and soon come to loath it. 2 of my sisters quit speaking to me over something I said that they did not agree with. It turned ugly real quick! I "TRY" to keep my opinions to myself now though it doesn't always workout that way :blackeye:
Will Rogers

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Comanche-pup » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Bdriller wrote:

because it is a .22. That rifle in his hand in a .22 long rifle in an AR format, just because it looks like, doesn't mean it is a 5.56, they also come in .177 cal air rifles

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 pm

If ya actually look into the picture and consider the size of the kids hands, the bolt slide and ejection port is about right for .22 brass. also the Mag which is close to his hand is also about right for .22LR rounds. Might be the S&W MP15-22. At any rate, even the 5.56 is still a .22 just not a .22LR rimfire. I believe its a .22LR rimfire.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Comanche-pup » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:59 pm

helms24 wrote:Population is what killing us...TOOOOOOOOO many people...Instead of 10 doing it their are 1000 people doing it....its what is in front of our eyes all the time, is what we see. :old_glory:

MAN LEAVES HOME
MAKES 3 LEFT TURNS
MEETS 2 MEN WEARING MASKS
WHO ARE THE MEN?

that's exactly why we need less government control, stupid people will thin themselves, children that are taught correctly to handle firearms can help thin the heard of stupid people. Stupid people are not born, they are raised. Let them kill themselves I say.

Return to “Gun Rights”