is it legal to place vessel numbers on rudders

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

is it legal to place vessel numbers on rudders

Post by JAMES » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:47 pm

heard it was not legal u must put the numbers on both front sides of hull
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: is it legal to place vessel numbers on rudders

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:16 pm

I've been running boats 25 years with the numbers on the rudders. I ain't never been hassled about it. I got checked up at kissimmee at the freedom ride no problems. I usually run the glades. I think they just have to be contrasting colors.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:24 pm

It probably is, but remember you are registering the hull and those numbers are assigned to the hull, not the rigging. I suppose if someone wanted to get picky they might give ya some grief. Years back they said you could have either or but not on the rudders AND the hull. That was in the 70s so I'm sure time has moved on for that as well. Mine are on the hull. I think you got some bad info about not putting them on the hull.

Scotty :mrgreen:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:52 pm

I heard from an officer one afternoon that back in the 80's or so, it used to be a law that if you ran at night, you had to have them on the rudders. And that is why you see some on the rudders. But now the law is on the hull (as whitebear said - it's the hull that defines the boat), BUT they still allow the boats that go by that old rule. I'm not sure how accurate that info is, it sounds a little suspect to me like the officer was just winging it to answer my question. But hey, if it works. :)

I also heard that if you sell a boat, the FL numbers go with it. Once registered, a hull will always have the same numbers no matter who owns it or how many times it changes configs or new owners. It's like a boat's Social Security Number. Sticks with it for life.

So I suppose if you took your rigging out of one hull (and it had FL numbers on the rudders) and you got a new hull because your old one was was damaged beyond repair, you'd need to change the FL numbers on the rudders. That don't make much sense, it's the same boat with just a replaced part. But I guess they gotta draw a line somewhere.

evergladesrunner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by evergladesrunner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:03 pm

BSO.SHERIFF AIRBOAT AND FWC.AIRBOAT ARE ON THE RUDDERS.
Prouid To Be A Florida Cracker.

sre
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by sre » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:07 pm

I have seen em write warnings for #'s on the rudders, law states they must be on the hull a certain size and space between letters and #'s

Capt Jeff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Capt Jeff » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:17 pm

There's an obscure statute that was shown to me several years back that if on rudders, they need to be @ least (6) six inch letters.
What if Bigfoot is really out of focus in real life?

http://www.coastalsportsmen.com
Dave's Airparts Inc.

jimmy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:32 pm

yes perfectly leagel!

chasencows
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by chasencows » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:38 pm

I can tell you what I was told i registered two boats this year in Okeechobee county, they told me the fl numbers have to be on both sides of the hull because they stay with the boat forever and its easy and likely you will change your rudders.they are not a perminent fixture on the boat. also the sticker needs to be on the left side. But like everything else it depends on how bad they want to mess with you

Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Eric Kimmel » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:28 pm

In the Cypress the NPS wanted the numbers on the rudders and you can tell some of the rangers are ticked off when folks started folowing the rules of putting them on the hull.
eric

muckrat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by muckrat » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:45 pm

i got a new boater safety coarse book and under the airboat section it shows you can put them on the rudders -or hull -or on a plack on the sides of the front rigging i put mine on a plack on the rigging!
old pahokee fla boy ,live in wildwood now

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:48 pm

It makes sense to have the numbers on the hull. But the leo's I spoke to said they like them better on the rudders because they said they can see them better at a distance. I guess it all depends on where you are and who you ask.

FrogNutz
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by FrogNutz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:34 am

If it's against the law to put numbers on the rudders then someone has some serious explaining to do. The 6" rule obviously no longer applies either.
Also, I'd venture to say that it's not illegal to put your registration sticker somewhere other than the hull.

"As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials."--- Newt Gingrich

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:39 am

Back in the seventies, the law stated that if used for
hunting, numbers had to be on the rudders at least
six in. tall.
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

floridacrakr0470
Southern Airboat Member

Post by floridacrakr0470 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:12 am

you used to have to put them on your bow so they could see em with a chopper. but the man that told me that was ole school like you read about!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:20 am

They used to require an "E" number on the deck in the Glades in the 70s too.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

a1mudpuppy
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by a1mudpuppy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:35 am

Like they say
Do as I say Not as I do.

You ask for LEGAL, here it is right off the web page.

Validation Decal
The vessel's registration number and validation decal must be displayed as follows.

Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow and maintained in a legible condition.
Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
Number must be in at least three-inch-high bold BLOCK letters.
Number's color must contrast with its background and placed where it can be clearly observed.
Letters must be separated from the numbers by a hyphen or space equal to letter width; for example: FL 3717 ZW or FL-3717-ZW.
Decal must be affixed to the port (left) side of the vessel within six inches of the registration number. The decal may precede or follow the number.
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or give permission for others to operate it unless it is registered and numbered as described above.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness
that it is for permission!

IN THE BEGINING

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:58 am

I had been told it was ok to be on the rudders they had to be 6" letters and could not touch each other.

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:44 am

The law is as quoted above. And my numbers are on the hull where they can never be seen except in clear water. But my registration sticker is and has always been on my left side of my drivers seat where most people put them. I would relish a ticket for this...Maddog

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:03 pm

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... /Sec48.HTM

ON THE RUDDERS IS LEGAL ... above link is to the law too many LEO's don't know the law either

(4) Each certificate of registration issued shall state among other items the numbers awarded to the vessel, the hull identification number, the name and address of the owner, and a description of the vessel, except that certificates of registration for vessels constructed or assembled by the owner registered for the first time shall state all the foregoing information except the hull identification number. The numbers shall be placed on each side of the forward half of the vessel in such position as to provide clear legibility for identification, except, if the vessel is an airboat, the numbers may be placed on each side of the rudder. The numbers awarded to the vessel shall read from left to right and shall be in block characters of good proportion not less than 3 inches in height. The numbers shall be of a solid color which will contrast with the color of the background and shall be so maintained as to be clearly visible and legible; i.e., dark numbers on a light background or light numbers on a dark background. The certificate of registration shall be pocket-sized and shall be available for inspection on the vessel for which issued whenever such vessel is in operation.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

rbjscott
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by rbjscott » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:46 pm

I think states are moving to comply with Federal standards--to get Fed. money.
"The price of Freedom is high! And the sound of Freedom is loud!" (Jet fighter pilot)

Muddyduck
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Muddyduck » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:06 pm

On a check from FWC on Okeechobee, the officer said they had to be on the hull. But, your question is it legal to place them on the rudders. So YES, you can put them on the rudders, just have to have them on the hull also according to that officer. Guess you can put anything you want on your rudders.
Many could live on what we have wasted.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:15 am

Officer wrong ... see above florida statute that is directly from the states website you only need them in one place on a boat.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

FrogNutz
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by FrogNutz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:21 am

I think I'm gonna print all laws concerning airboats, and keep them with me when I'm in the marsh, because the LEO's apparently have no idea either. Sounds like they're out there wingin' it as they go. I might print out the pics above as well.
"As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials."--- Newt Gingrich

dynaairglide
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dynaairglide » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:41 am

http://www.boat-ed.com/fl/course/p4-18_fl_info_ada.htm

The above address is from the Florida edition of the BoatEd course. Even has a picture of what is acceptable. It is OK to have the numbers on the rudders only.

Airboat Registration Numbers and Decals

The numbers assigned to your airboat should be placed on each side of the forward half of the vessel in such position as to provide clear legibility for identification, or airboat numbers can be placed on each side of the rudder. The numbers awarded to the vessel shall read from left to right and shall be in block characters of good proportion not less than 3 inches in height. The numbers shall be of solid color which will contrast with color of the background and shall be so maintained as to be clearly visible and legible; i.e. dark numbers on a light background or light numbers on dark background. The decal issued to an airboat shall be displayed by affixing it to the port side of the vessel within 6 inches before or after the registration number. If you have any questions on airboat operation or safety, please.
Be American... Buy American!

Return to “Airboat Tech”