Best way to strip off old poly???

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
STINGER477
Southern Airboat Member

Best way to strip off old poly???

Post by STINGER477 »

Getting ready to strip off the old poly and want to know if I have to remove all screws and rivets or can I leave as much as i can and grind them down enough to make a flat surface for the new poly, instead of having to drill em and weld all those holes up?
fatboy0054
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Best way to strip off old poly???

Post by fatboy0054 »

Is it open, full deck ,metal, glass ! Need more info !When you said weld i assume metal !But when i assume gets me in trouble !
(Disclaimer )! Which means ! Dont try to sue me for your own stupidity !
http://www.mymudspace.com/fatboy0054
http://www.myspace.com/fatboy0054
STINGER477
Southern Airboat Member

Post by STINGER477 »

Its an old 15ft. aluminum airgator hull with screws and rivets. I got new 1/4 poly to put on it,but I want to do this as easy as possible. :bounce:
STINGER477
Southern Airboat Member

Post by STINGER477 »

It is an open hull.
cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

Take it off ... do it right the bottom of the boat is as important if not more so than the engine and prop. If it aint right aint nobody happy
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately
fatboy0054
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fatboy0054 »

Like 141 said !Take all the bolts out clean the bottom !Turn your boat up side on something you can get too !Let the sun warm poly on your bottom up and use your same holes , drill from inside your hull !Use a smaller bit just for a guide hole and wrap it with something that dont damage your threads !And you can see the holes from the top or bottom of hull !Drill em and sink em start in the middle and go out !Finish the whole row first and then go out !And do it when its hot poly swells when hot so it goes on tite !I dont know if you needed all of that, but was writing and couldnt stop ! :lol:Cant help you on the easy part ! :bounce: Like he said the bottom is most important!
(Disclaimer )! Which means ! Dont try to sue me for your own stupidity !
http://www.mymudspace.com/fatboy0054
http://www.myspace.com/fatboy0054
BATTLE READY
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by BATTLE READY »

Flip it over, unscrew all of the screws, drill out all the rivets. Hopefully the holes will be able to handle a 3/16 rivet, if so rivet it back on. If the holes are bigger than 3/16 you have 3 choices: 1/4 rivets, nuts and bolts, weld up the holes and drill a new hole for the 3/16 rivet.

Rob
CONTINENTAL CRACKER
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by CONTINENTAL CRACKER »

if you have a air hammer.use the chisel end and let it cut the rivet in half.them you can use a punch and knock the rest of the rivet out.i would use rivets instead of screw. the weight less coct lest,creat less drah and are easier on the feet .i also think it is easier than screws to apply.
I WOULD RATHER PADDLE A CANOE THAN OWN A WATERPUMPER
MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 »

YOU COULD RUN YOUR BOAT AT THE LONE CABBAGE LANDING TO HELP REMOVE YOUR OLD POLY! :lol: I BELEIVE THAT IS WERE MOST OF MY DAMAGE TO MY BOAT IS DONE AT.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY
STINGER477
Southern Airboat Member

Post by STINGER477 »

Thanks guys for you replys, much appreciated. :?
Ted

Post by Ted »

Yes make sure the hull is water tight you never know when you burn some thing. Broke distrubutor wire motor shut down in deep water just sat there untill the wind blew me to shore. Sun just destoyed the wires were they were exposed.

Return to “Airboat Tech”