Poly- Screws or Rivets?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
STINGER477
Southern Airboat Member

Poly- Screws or Rivets?

Post by STINGER477 »

Got the old poly off my 15' aluminum hull getting ready to weld up the holes. I'm trying to deside wether to use screws or go with rivets, If I go with screws I know I have to counter-sink em'. If I go with rivets do I need to counter-sink them or just pop em' in tight. My thought is if I just pop them in flat on the poly surface the heads might wear off pretty quick if I run dry very much.
This is a first for me, on this poly install.
Opinions welcome. :|
jimmy
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Poly- Screws or Rivets?

Post by jimmy »

when i put my poly on with rivets i countersunk them then bucked them tight
havent had problems
froggigger1
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by froggigger1 »

I riveted mine back on through old holes I don't understand why everyone welds all the holes up I don't like to weld that much.
BATTLE READY
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by BATTLE READY »

no need to countersink when you rivet, you can if you want but when you buck the rivet, the head will be drawn into the poly. Try it both ways and see what you like better, just do not countersink to much.

Rob
John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C »

I can't give any advise on the install because I did not do mine myself. But I just got my boat back from Hamant Airboats. They installed some of the Blue Superslide for me. They use rivets through the same holes. no welding. The inside of the hull still looks brand new. And like BATTLE READY said when you buck the rivet it will be drawn up into the poly, no need to countersink. This method just might save you some time.
rogerlucas
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by rogerlucas »

John C wrote:I can't give any advise on the install because I did not do mine myself. But I just got my boat back from Hamant Airboats. They installed some of the Blue Superslide for me. They use rivets through the same holes. no welding. The inside of the hull still looks brand new. And like BATTLE READY said when you buck the rivet it will be drawn up into the poly, no need to countersink. This method just might save you some time.
how thick superslide did you use? and how do you like it ? thanks R.L.
~~~~~~~~ Blew Bayou~~~~~~~~
John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C »

I used 1/4" Blue Superslide. Its on a 11x7 Hamant. It had 1/4" white poly on it before. I only ran the boat once since the Superslide was put on. I have another boat that has black poly on it. I think the blue is the slickest of the three. I can't comment on durability since I have only run it once. Maybe someone that has been running it for a year or two will chime in and let us know how it holds up. But it slides nice, so far I like it.
MikeP
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by MikeP »

BATTLE READY wrote:no need to countersink when you rivet, you can if you want but when you buck the rivet, the head will be drawn into the poly. Try it both ways and see what you like better, just do not countersink to much.

Rob

BattleReady got it right.
filetnrelease
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by filetnrelease »

Hey Mike and Rob,

I woulda figured if you tried to pull the rivet head into the poly it would cause additional stress around the rivet and may be a source for cracks to start down the road (kinda like the old white stuff would do no matter what you did). I would have also figured it would disfigure the poly around the rivet, like maybe a bulge?

Apparently not though, I've never put poly on with rivets so this is new to me and I'm thinkin about riveting the current poly job on my boat. I'll tell ya, not countersinking all the holes sure does sound nice... thanks for the info.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, either way you are right" Henry Ford
Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Always enjoyed the buck rivets over stainless screws and/or loc nuts. Takes longer and your sure to get a headache, but hate the feeling on the feet on the inside of the hull. Rivets look cleaner to me and more "Bare Feet" friendly...

In My Opinion...
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO
jimmy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmy »

MikeP
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by MikeP »

Rivets are way faster than nuts and screws. I bet you cant tighten 15 screws in the time it takes to buck 15 rivets.

Return to “Airboat Tech”