plowing after conversion & poly

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
acslammer27
Southern Airboat Member

plowing after conversion & poly

Post by acslammer27 »

I have a 0470/520 conversion on a 14 ft combee hull and poly . The conversion and poly were new additions to boat. Now it seems to plow real bad the faster i go the worse it is . I know I probably need to raise the back of motor but it seems weird that this is only after upgrading ? Please offer any ideas. Thanks

P.S This site is the best thing for anyone with an airboat!!!!!!!!!!!!!
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Re: plowing after conversion & poly

Post by terrible ted »

Well adding poly is 100 lbs. Its a diffrent boat
Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

What inch pattern did you use with your fasteners. Poly will make a boat ride on the nose if it’s not dead flat! You need to run a straight edge on the bottom and you will find the culprit. If your poly is dead flat then another thing could be how much does your poly stick out off the transom?
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316
Geneva0550
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Geneva0550 »

I bought a 12' hull from combee back in 93. It did the same thing when I got the boat finished with poly. It was so bad the spray from the bow would soak my legs. I took it back to Combee and Richard ground the poly at the transom just a little bit at a time till it stopped plowing and rode good in the water. Must have been a slight wedge in the bottom at the transom.
What do you mean the waters low and it's too dry?...You got an airboat!...ACT LIKE IT!!!!
STINGER477
Southern Airboat Member

Post by STINGER477 »

I'm putting poly on a 15' aluminum hull {as soon as the sun shines again and the rain is gone} :wink: ,but I was wondering how far should the poly stick off the transom :?:
acslammer27
Southern Airboat Member

Post by acslammer27 »

my pattern was 4x4 squares and it is flush with the transom. The boat rode fine before that is why i didn't run it off the back at all .
acslammer27
Southern Airboat Member

Post by acslammer27 »

I looked and the bow area of the boat is not as flat as the rest of the hull . I noticed this when i put on poly . Waterthunder are you suggesting jacks ? thanks for the help!
quickie
Southern Airboat Member

Post by quickie »

its the poly...you cant go wrong with a belly jack, but if you just run it on the hill a couple of weekends, it will beat out and slowly get better.( i have seen this over and over) good luck!
acslammer27
Southern Airboat Member

Post by acslammer27 »

Well I pulled the boat off the trailer today and it seems flat . Talked with danny emmons at sawgrass welding and that is what he told me to check also said my motor could be too far forward . Where is it suppose to be ?
CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack »

slammer

You could try adjusting engine up at the back a bit, to lift the bow up a bit? Have you checked your engine angle?

Your engine should be placed so your prop is about 3" - 4" in front of the transom, and no more under the transom about the same. Where ever your engine ends up with the prop in the right place, is where it is supposed to be.... :wink:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)
acslammer27
Southern Airboat Member

Post by acslammer27 »

installed jacks on boat and it seemed to help a little , adjusted them while in the water a couple of times . But still anything over 2000 rpm nose starts to plow. thinking raising motor is the only other option. Checked motor to transom and that is 3 in and 1 above . still trying though!!!
CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack »

I reckon quickie has the right idea, run it on the ground for a bit, to take off any high spots, especially around the transom & hull edge. You might have to concider a trim tab if it don't come good soon? :wink:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

Return to “Airboat Tech”