Running on dry ground

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
moonboy
Southern Airboat Member

Running on dry ground

Post by moonboy » Mon May 25, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm new to air boats and need some advise. I have a 2006 diamondback with a 425 hp levitator. The boat is 8'x15'. It has full deck in front and both sides 4 boxes 2 live wells the whole ball of wax, trolling motor ect. I set the rpm,s @ 5000 but the boat will not run on dry ground worth a darn. Two people can push it and get it started toward the water and it will go but sometimes get stuck. I have to use electric winch to load. once in water it goes like crazy. Am I expecting to much or should this boat run on dry ground. This is a beautiful boat and cost a load but i'm disapointed with performance out of the water. Thanks for all advice John :(

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Running on dry ground

Post by goldhunter_2 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:02 pm

first off welcome to the site !

if you post your location sometimes it is easier to have someone meet you on the marsh one day and give you some ideas

with that said some info would also be helpful , what prop, what ratio reduction or are you running DD? form what info you did provide it sounds like more of a heavy water boat weight is a big issue with airboat

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy » Mon May 25, 2009 4:02 pm

sounds like your average carboat :D just foolin more like wt to horse power ratio . them big heavy one need alot of ponys

moonboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by moonboy » Mon May 25, 2009 4:28 pm

goldhunter_2 wrote:first off welcome to the site !

if you post your location sometimes it is easier to have someone meet you on the marsh one day and give you some ideas

with that said some info would also be helpful , what prop, what ratio reduction or are you running DD? form what info you did provide it sounds like more of a heavy water boat weight is a big issue with airboat
I'm in central oklahoma on the cimarron river lot of dry sand. The prop is composit 3 blade ext wide,CH 3 2.3 to 1 w/blk hawk belt

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon May 25, 2009 4:45 pm

I seismic work we had 454 425 HP engines driving a CH3 redrive and wood props. The hulls were HEAVY 16 foot Robicheaux and that combination would run dry ground for hours. We carried 45 gallons of fuel plus 2 six gallon gas cans, 2 people and maybe 800 to 1,000 pounds of copper cables, plus our lunch and drinks. Yes we had a sprayer but only needed it once in a long while. Your boat should damn near jump on the trailer. Should have no trouble stopping and starting with 3-4 people and full gas and coolers and fishing gear. No trouble at all.

Start by making sure your bottom is flat, no lengthwise cups in it. Get someone out there that knows boats to help you do some weight shifting and check the angle of the engine. That thing should be a terror.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

moonboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by moonboy » Mon May 25, 2009 4:57 pm

[quote="Whitebear"]I seismic work we had 454 425 HP engines driving a CH3 redrive and wood props. The hulls were HEAVY 16 foot Robicheaux and that combination would run dry ground for hours. We carried 45 gallons of fuel plus 2 six gallon gas cans, 2 people and maybe 800 to 1,000 pounds of copper cables, plus our lunch and drinks. Yes we had a sprayer but only needed it once in a long while. Your boat should damn near jump on the trailer. Should have no trouble stopping and starting with 3-4 people and full gas and coolers and fishing gear. No trouble at all.

Start by making sure your bottom is flat, no lengthwise cups in it. Get someone out there that knows boats to help you do some weight shifting and check the angle of the engine. That thing should be a terror.

Thanks whitebear it helps to know it should go now i,ll try to find out why i'm having trouble. John

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:00 pm

WHITEBEAR,YOU MUST HAVE BEEN IN NAM.CAUSE A BOAT LIKE YOU DESCRIBED RUNNING THE HILL FOR HOURS,YOU MUST STILL BE HIGH.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon May 25, 2009 5:06 pm

I speak the truth. The mans boat like he described should run far better than our seismic boats. Yup I was there (SEA) too.

We ran 35-50 of those seismic boats 6 days a week 12-14 hours a day for 3 years that I was there. They ran exactly as I described.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy » Mon May 25, 2009 5:10 pm

oltzimers done took whitebear, 8)

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy » Mon May 25, 2009 5:11 pm

or hes really a texan :lol:

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Plum
you done let his secret out :lol:

Scotty
I don't believe Ronnie's (Robicheaux) bottom are done the same way as diamondback but it should still break free better

moonboy
plum has it with weight to hp ratio but with a wide three blade and that reduction that carboat still should break free better then that , it sounds like maybe if you do a little tweeting of stuff may help

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon May 25, 2009 5:22 pm

Plum, sometimes I think you are right. At least I remember to carry my drivers license so I know who I am. Sometimes I remember to carry it, and then forget I have it with me though. I frequently wonder where the hell I am going and when I get there I can't remember what I wanted to do when I got there. Just this morning I got up early to do somethinhg, but for the life of me I had no clue what. Went back to bed and woke up two hours later thinking I was late, but had no idea where or what I was late for. So I loaded up on the bike and went to Arbys and had some free Roast Beef sandwiches. Was great sitting around trying to remember what we did back in the day Hahahahahah. Some of us actually were able to put it together. I think I was in the NAVY, must have been Subs cause I have the funny little pin on my vest that looks like fishes swimming into a boat. I may have worked in electronics cause I dont seem to be ascared of lektricity. Yup DATS a me !

Scotty

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:24 pm

OL WHITEBEAR DONE LOST HIS MIND,THINKING A 16' HULL WITH A 1,000 LBS OF GEAR,2 GUYS,57 GALLONS OF GAS,AND ALL THEIR CRAP,WILL RUN THE HILL FOR HOURS,WITH A WEAK ASS BIG BLOCK AT THAT.LET ME GET SOME OF WHATEVER YOUR SMOKIN! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon May 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Last time, I speak the truth Tony. If you wanna differ, fine, its up to you to prove it never happened. Talk don't get it done. Give Marks Airboats a call and talk with Mark. They built all of our boats. They also know what we put them through. Lots of other companies out there doing exactly the same thing, we were nothing special.

Scotty

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:34 pm

YA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: YOU MUST BE FROM TEXAS,CAUSE YOUR IDEA OF RUNNING THE HILL AND MY IDEA OF RUNNING THE HILL FOR HOURS IM SURE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT!I AIN'T TALKIN ABOUT SITTING ON SHORE,WITH THE BOAT IDLEING!THAT AIN'T RUNNING THE HILL,THAT'S RUNNING WHILE STOPED ON THE HILL. :lol: :lol:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon May 25, 2009 5:39 pm

OK, I'll leave it there. I have no further interest.

Scotty

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by grant » Mon May 25, 2009 5:45 pm

There were some strong carboats doing seismic out there....and they did carry heavy loads and work all day....they did get stuck often and toasted quite a few motors, depending on the terrain they were running. What I saw was after the first dozen or so boats ran the same trail they had it beat down pretty good.
"Don't Taze me Bro"

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds » Mon May 25, 2009 5:50 pm

Tony480 wrote:WHITEBEAR,YOU MUST HAVE BEEN IN NAM.CAUSE A BOAT LIKE YOU DESCRIBED RUNNING THE HILL FOR HOURS,YOU MUST STILL BE HIGH.
You should be ashamed of this post but I'm sure you aren't.

Why don't you take your hate & discontent somewhere else?
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon May 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Grant, we went through a motor every few weeks in our fleet, and 2-3 props in the same time. New guys spent a lot of time stuck. Usually they were the ones who blew motors and props and belts. Some lasted and some didn't. If they learned to run a boat, like they were told, they made it, if they wanted to do it their way, they were gone in short order.

Scotty

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds » Mon May 25, 2009 5:58 pm

And help me out here Tony. Just what is your idea of "running the hill"? I mean, we are talking about Florida and not Colorado, right?
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by grant » Mon May 25, 2009 6:05 pm

That's the way I saw it....some could and some couldn't. Had a friend that worked with a few crews in southern La and Texas that ran a Stossel with a 540 that was used to run some initial trails in really bad stuff, before the main fleet came....survey??? not sure?? Was collecting eggs in a particularly dry bad bulltongue marsh and saw them deliver a trailer load of 12 volt winches for their fleet one morning :shock:
"Don't Taze me Bro"

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon May 25, 2009 6:16 pm

Survey crews had it the worst Grant. No trails nothing marked, they had to figure out the rows for the geophones and keep them away from the shot holes. I really really respected the survey guys. For those that dont know its tall grass in dry marshes, deep mud with no bottom and brush and trees for miles n miles. Theres little or no help, your on your own out there, tear it up or make it last. If ya get stuck you better be able to get unstuck. Might get some help at the end of the day if somebody really liked ya.

Lots of folks have no real understanding about working boats compared to pleasure riding. I don't mean working tour boats either. Its like two different worlds. Almost nothing is the same, works the same or lasts the same. Especially when your running another mans equipment and taking his money. Its not for the meek.

Your friends must have been a shure nuff good man with a boat. My hats off to him.

Scotty

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee » Mon May 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Ooh central oklahoma! Theres nothing wrong with your boat its where youre running it!! :lol: Just kidding around i lived in okc for a year and a half and boy am i glad to be back in florida! Maybe you should try taking some pitch out of your prop? If you say its roasting the water, then maybe youve just got it pitched too high to break free on the ground? Just tossing out ideas, good luck.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by grant » Mon May 25, 2009 6:29 pm

I always get a chuckle when bad ass airboats are discussed by people that have an option for going thru something and those that have been there and had no option ......must go thru.....you will definately test the boat and the operator!!
Yup...my buddy had a good boat and was a good operator....in 15 years was the only local boater I used every year. Had lots of siesmic rigs that tried, but just weren't equipped for stopping and starting all day. They usually couldn't turn like our small light boats could either.
"Don't Taze me Bro"

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Mon May 25, 2009 6:40 pm

airduds wrote:
Tony480 wrote:WHITEBEAR,YOU MUST HAVE BEEN IN NAM.CAUSE A BOAT LIKE YOU DESCRIBED RUNNING THE HILL FOR HOURS,YOU MUST STILL BE HIGH.
You should be ashamed of this post but I'm sure you aren't.

Why don't you take your hate & discontent somewhere else?
i agree airduds, your right tony480 always has something to say -neg and thinks his boat is the best hell whitebear tony480 was just a thought running down his daddys leg when u were running them boats seems he has no clue what a carmotor boat will do :D
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Return to “Airboat Tech”