Running on dry ground

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Running on dry ground

Post by Whitebear » Mon May 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Your exactly right Grant. The geophones were stop and start however but there was cool down time in between. I "think" I remember the pattern being every 70 yards may have been 100 yards. Them heavy boats dont like to turn quick, in fact they dont do anything quick. They handle slow, accelerate slow and decelerate SLOWER ! We didn't have any wenches but most boats had a chain saw, sometimes it did get used cause ya had to go and turn and there just werent no room. Make room, plant that phone and head to the next one.

A light boat with a 540 on it will dance all around a seismic rigged boat. Yup but then they are doing a different job than the seismic drills or recorders. Seismic boats get slammed, banged, crashed, and twisted. Takes a darned good shop to keep up with a seismic crew. A boat sitting still isn't making any money, and nobody is out there for the fun of it. Its all about making money and nothing else. When you are miserable, well so is everyone else so theres no point in bitchin bout it, just keep on keepin on.

Scotty :wink:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

lil_armond
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by lil_armond » Mon May 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Scotty ain't lying Mark builds some of the toughest boats out there thats why they are the most common boat you see running that type of work. Tony480 your a hoot man always got something negative to say.:cheers: :bootyshake: :jerk: :laughing3:
''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
-- John Wayne

15' x 8' Alumitech w/ 84" 5 blade Superwide

SOUTHERNHOGDOG
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by SOUTHERNHOGDOG » Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 pm

got same boat just not as heavey and i put 6 people in it and run dry it gets stuck some but will break free most time with 5 people it runs lill better you should beable get it to run dry but its a bardge and sounds pretty heavey but with enuff pitch and ponies you should beable get here done...i got a bb454 425 hp
diamond back 15 foot high side 454 belt drive /12foot charley jones 220gpu looking for 0540 for this one

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Mon May 25, 2009 9:37 pm

my 15 x 7 [or 8 i never measured it] old workboat with the 425hp 454, with 2 to 1 reduction will roll dry all day. just keep a eye on the temp and change the oil every day in the summer. and most importantly, use a little common sense.
in spite of engine builders and others on here badmouthing the 454 as the biggest peice of crap engine ever put in a airboat, it is still being put in airboats every day in good ol la.

do i get stuck, sure i do, anybody who runs a airboat through any challenging terrain gets stopped and needs a shake on the front end from time to time. the average airboater doesn't have a 600hp 15k engine.

anyway, my little 11' lycoming boat i used to have would follow the big workboats, i just couldn't haul the load they did or go first, cause i didn't have enough @ss to bust the trail. it was nice that they could carry several passengers and send sumone over to help me get started alot. :) that's why i got a bigger boat.

back to the origional thread topic, dat boat should run the ground better than that. u might need to do sum tweakin on it to get it running right. i sent mine to robicheaux's and had him put it in his press to round the hull sum. made a night and day differance in the woods/marsh.
might want to see if u can change the angle of engine as well, a little more lift in the stern will make the boat break ground alot easier.

or put a turnbuckel between the stand and hull so u can add/revove sum round in the hull as needed.
Attachments
DSCN2784sm.JPG
DSCN2784sm.JPG (151.09 KiB) Viewed 1188 times

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon May 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Sweet Boat there JoPete. Thats about the same boat we ran. We didn't have the front seat, just an operator seat. The worker sat on the deck or on the pile of cables. Like you said, good maintenance and they will get the job done. I personally like them and I like that big honkey 454. For a work boat its a tough one. Lots faster boats and lots quicker boats, but damn few tougher.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

moonboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by moonboy » Tue May 26, 2009 7:08 am

jopete wrote:my 15 x 7 [or 8 i never measured it] old workboat with the 425hp 454, with 2 to 1 reduction will roll dry all day. just keep a eye on the temp and change the oil every day in the summer. and most importantly, use a little common sense.
in spite of engine builders and others on here badmouthing the 454 as the biggest peice of crap engine ever put in a airboat, it is still being put in airboats every day in good ol la.

do i get stuck, sure i do, anybody who runs a airboat through any challenging terrain gets stopped and needs a shake on the front end from time to time. the average airboater doesn't have a 600hp 15k engine.

anyway, my little 11' lycoming boat i used to have would follow the big workboats, i just couldn't haul the load they did or go first, cause i didn't have enough @ss to bust the trail. it was nice that they could carry several passengers and send sumone over to help me get started alot. :) that's why i got a bigger boat.

back to the origional thread topic, dat boat should run the ground better than that. u might need to do sum tweakin on it to get it running right. i sent mine to robicheaux's and had him put it in his press to round the hull sum. made a night and day differance in the woods/marsh.
might want to see if u can change the angle of engine as well, a little more lift in the stern will make the boat break ground alot easier.

or put a turnbuckel between the stand and hull so u can add/revove sum round in the hull as needed.
Thanks for the information now i'm starting to learn something. My boat does have a turnbuckle in it but i didn't know what it was for. I'm the only one around here for at least 100 miles that has a airboat. I went to coco beach to get this one. This boat has a 496 gm levitator fuel inj. The rod boxes and live wells trolling motor will come out but their is a lot of screws. It's a fishing boat . This boat would go any where in flordia. When you talk about running the hill in okla I mean a 4 wheel drive truck will get stuck in that blow sand. When you come out of the river to load you are going up hill in the sand. When we unload this boat and and kick it up to 5000 rpm's people run for their lives and it tries to blow all the trees down. It's like Hell out their on the river bank but it is stuck sometimes breaks loose and goes to the water with no help. when in water it is awsome it parts the sea. I don't know how fast it will run on water i'm afraid to go over 40. It doesn't want to break loose and run on dry. I bought this boat used but it was never used like new in the box. I'm going to call diamondback today. It must be in angle of engine like you say. Thanks john :shock:

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe » Tue May 26, 2009 7:43 am

Moonboy, Call diamond back directly and ask to speak with Scooter. Tell him what your doing and what you want outa the boat and he will give you the best advise on how to obtain your goal.
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator » Tue May 26, 2009 8:18 am

MB, when you say dry ground, are you referring to sand (wet or dry)?........ If so sand is tough on most rigs......

moonboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by moonboy » Tue May 26, 2009 8:56 am

C1gator wrote:MB, when you say dry ground, are you referring to sand (wet or dry)?........ If so sand is tough on most rigs......
I'm talking both wet and dry blow sand sand dune sand. John

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:10 am

sand has almost handed me my azz a few times. Both wet and dry. I've been lucky so far. But its also had the boat come to a complete stop when I don't see it under the shallow water...

It almost got my 500 DD boat a time or two also.

I know folks with much better setups than my 16x8 Robicheaux with only a Felber 454 on it, that will turn around instead of trying to go through sand..... Not that they can't, but why beat it up.... but sand can get any one.

I"m fairly sure of 2 things from my first DD boat. Weight distribution is critical. Also critical is motor angle and hull hook or cup. I"m 99% sure that once I get a bad spot out of my hull and welded and then put 2 jacks in that it'll run dry even better. And I'm also sure that if I checked my motor angle ever it would show it needs to come up in the back some. Way too much nose plowing right now.

That being said it'll run the dry ok. I just choose not to unless I have to, unless its nice gravel bars or such.

Jeff

moonboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by moonboy » Tue May 26, 2009 11:07 am

rost495 wrote:sand has almost handed me my azz a few times. Both wet and dry. I've been lucky so far. But its also had the boat come to a complete stop when I don't see it under the shallow water...

It almost got my 500 DD boat a time or two also.

I know folks with much better setups than my 16x8 Robicheaux with only a Felber 454 on it, that will turn around instead of trying to go through sand..... Not that they can't, but why beat it up.... but sand can get any one.

I"m fairly sure of 2 things from my first DD boat. Weight distribution is critical. Also critical is motor angle and hull hook or cup. I"m 99% sure that once I get a bad spot out of my hull and welded and then put 2 jacks in that it'll run dry even better. And I'm also sure that if I checked my motor angle ever it would show it needs to come up in the back some. Way too much nose plowing right now.

That being said it'll run the dry ok. I just choose not to unless I have to, unless its nice gravel bars or such.

Jeff
I talked to scooter at diamondback and he advised me to adjust the bottom of boat I looked under the boat and it looks flat flat so i'll put a little curve in the bottom. He also told me to lower the back of the motor 1/8" at a time and see if that helps. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it works. John 8)

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:36 am

I know for a fact if you have a flat or cupped surface it won't run as well dry as with a bit of "hook" so to speak IE downward rounded surface. Just makes sense.

And yep, I was told 1/8 inch at a time. Build up with washers and keep trying. Can then make a real shim if you find it all right.

I'd work on the hull first. Then once you get it right, play with the motor.

On my old DD boat, moving the batteries made a HUGE difference.

moonboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by moonboy » Sat May 30, 2009 7:41 am

Whitebear wrote:I seismic work we had 454 425 HP engines driving a CH3 redrive and wood props. The hulls were HEAVY 16 foot Robicheaux and that combination would run dry ground for hours. We carried 45 gallons of fuel plus 2 six gallon gas cans, 2 people and maybe 800 to 1,000 pounds of copper cables, plus our lunch and drinks. Yes we had a sprayer but only needed it once in a long while. Your boat should damn near jump on the trailer. Should have no trouble stopping and starting with 3-4 people and full gas and coolers and fishing gear. No trouble at all.

Start by making sure your bottom is flat, no lengthwise cups in it. Get someone out there that knows boats to help you do some weight shifting and check the angle of the engine. That thing should be a terror.

Scotty
I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR ADVISE. I PUT SOME CURVE IN THE BOTTOM OF THAT BOAT AND ADJ THE ANGLE OF THE MOTOR. THIS THING REALLY IS A CAR BOAT IT WILL RUN ON DRY GROUND JUST LIKE A CAR. WHITEBEAR WAS RIGHT IT WILL JUMP ON THE TRAILER. THE GROUND IS HARD WITH A LITTLE GRASS ON IT. NEXT IS THE ULTIMATE TEST I'm GOING TO THE RIVER WHERE THE SAND IS DRY AND DEEP AND HOPE I HAVE ENOUGH HP TO GET IN AND OUT. THE BOAT BREAKS LOOSE ABOUT 4000 TO 4500 RPMS. :bounce: THANKS AGAIN MOONBOY

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:49 am

If that dog is a Blue Healer, make a little harness for him & tie it to the boat...., they are strong little suckers :lol: Harness him up, put a bone on a fishin' pole & dangle it in front of him.... he'll pull you & the boat out of near anythin' :D
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

Return to “Airboat Tech”