VW airboat a few Questions.

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
sac86able
Southern Airboat Member

VW airboat a few Questions.

Postby sac86able » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:58 pm

I have just built a VW powered airboat ( 1600 engine ) running straight off the Crankshaft, was a Glen L design.
Had its first run yesterday, travels along with 2 people but struggles to get on the plane. one is ok but the slightest head wind and it struggles with one. got in the shallows and she took off when in a few inchs of water.
SO should i adjust the angle of my motor?
Change the Prop, Any ideas on size and pitch??

Im from Australia so no one has seen one of these down here and people think im mad, Its a great looking machine many hours went into it and i dont want it to beat me

SHane

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: VW airboat a few Questions.

Postby plumcrazy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:06 pm

little more details will help with you question , rpms, boat size wt. and style, prop

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Like plum said .... and is your engine new rebuilt or used from a car? I always suggest starting out with your prop perpindicular to the bottom of the boat and make adjustments from there depending on running on nose or back of boat. You gotta keep in mind that the engine when new only had 50 to 60 hp at 4 to 5 thousand rpms. you are probably not turning it that fast in a Direct drive application. If you are lucky you are getting 35 hp out of it. That is a lot of weight for that amount of hp. You have a lot of things to consider like how much bottom width for the weight for instance will determine how deep in the water you ride and how long it takes to get on plane. If you get it wide enough it will get on plane easy but suffer on top end speed so you gotta look for a balance of the two. Don't let it whip you but airboas are more complicated than many think and even more so when using small hp engines.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Des Moines Boater
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Des Moines Boater » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Look in my gallery and you will see a yellow airboat with a direct drive 1600 cc engine. I had a ball with it and you should get on plane with no problem if you have the right prop. What prop do you use now? I figure the 65 HP engine was giving me close to 45 HP as a direct drive. I still got up to 30 MPH on the GPS. It was fun but never enough horse power.
13' 6 Lazer, 383 SBC 425 hp, 2.7 Ballistic, 3 blade 80 NGR

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:23 pm

I have a couple of different belt drives that will make a huge difference one goes on pulley end (not best location) and one goes on flywheel end which is my choice. They are not cheap and I have no idea what tarrifs would be due on them to import them into there. You have to build youe engine to take the load though or else it will fail. I am running one for testing now and it has been a challenge and not sure it was worth the cost except that it is good on gas and looks cool but the engine cost me as much to build as a small block chevy woud have. So I don't know I have been kinda quiet on them but am seeing mor eand more interest in the VW. They will work but if you want them to run like we run up here in florida it isn't your standard 1600 out of a junker that is gonna do it for you.
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:29 pm

Here is a video ... we kept blowin off spark plug wires and had to make a bracket to go over them to keep them on ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk_gN9_hhdg

Georgia Dawg
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Georgia Dawg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Nice job cntry, looks like it took off better the second time... that should be a fun boat.
Never argue with a fool, Bystanders can't tell the difference.

dang_ol
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dang_ol » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:19 pm

man i am running a 1600, 12foot boat 62" bottom, 52x26 prop, and i can't even get it to plan off with just me, and can't figure the problem.
GOOD LUCK. let me know what you do so i can copy haha.
TAA 427--
14x7.5, homemade hull, with 0540(260hp)
20x64 gator traxt with 75hp yamaha
15X7 airgator.2.68 rotator, sbc 350, (SOLD)
first boat. 12X6 aluminum hull, with vw1600. (SOLD)

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:59 pm

Dang ol it is simple just start with a 2275cc engine add dual empi 44's electronic ignition big valve heads with heavy springs and titanium retainers chomolly push rods I beam connecting rods a counter balanced 8 dowel crankshaft a lightened flywheel chomolly jug bolts case savers a special cam two oil coolers extra 1.5 quart oil sump full flow the case remote filter and then add billet aircleaners at 90 bucks apiece because the cheap ones go thru the prop go get a holley blue pump and regulator and a fuel pressure guage then add a special built for me 2 to 1 belt drive with a 69.5 whisper tip prop and your almost there once you get it set up and rigged right with 7 stringers in the bottom and a full poly job. Heck it is easy let me know if you want to buy one I got two of them. Wait till I get it in the step hull next week hmmm should be lots more fun then. Oh yeah the pulleys for the belt drive cost 700 bucks a set and you got to buy 7 sets at a time they are special treated to handle the wear Oh yeah the custom exhaust is extra LOL the simulated alligator seats lights bilge pump full intrumentation for tach oil pressure oil temp and volts so I know if the 75 amp alt is charging I had to add an idiot light as well something about the elect. circuit but I did it and it worked like it was supposed to. I had the riggin powder coated and put one jack in it so i can tweak the hull to suit me. and we kept the doghouse fan so it doesn't run too hot and blow up.

dang_ol
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dang_ol » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:15 pm

um, $$$$$
TAA 427--
14x7.5, homemade hull, with 0540(260hp)
20x64 gator traxt with 75hp yamaha
15X7 airgator.2.68 rotator, sbc 350, (SOLD)
first boat. 12X6 aluminum hull, with vw1600. (SOLD)

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Oh yeah ... but I can do it for less now because I already blew up two of them gettin it right. education always costs... folks see it running and say Oh aint that cute I had a vw in high school or college I shoulda kept it to build a boat with LOL yeah right. If you want to put around in the water yep it is easy ... wanna run the hill you better be serious cause it gets expensive just like any other airboat.

Best froggin boat or fishin boat for the money ... is a 35 briggs or a kohler 40 I have not very often frogged on dry ground and the fishin is better if there is a little water there as well. run all night on 5 gallons or less don't make enough noise that anyone get upset with you and if you blow it up just chunk it and get another one.

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:51 am

Cntry, that little boat looks like a blast.... must go awsome on water :wink:

Is that the 2.2L RD?
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:43 am

cactus jack ... I have no idea what engine you are talking about ?? I described it above ... simply put it is a 1600 that has been bored and stroked

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:52 am

Cntry, Oh, ok.... I thought it was the engine you were talkin' about @ 5 posts up ^ but I re read the post in question and see you were just talkin' about how to make a rip snortin' VW :lol:

I'll go back to sleep now :roll: :wink:
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

sac86able
Southern Airboat Member

Postby sac86able » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Hull is made of Ally 3mm
Length overall 12'-9"
Beam 5'-0"
Hull depth 14"
THe Prop i am runing is 50" not sure on pitch, its either made of ally or some kind of metal. has a bit of Weight, Any ideas on finding out pitch? measurment wise.
1600 VW motor out of a Beetle 74 model in good condition.

Today i went for another Run and went to a different swamp and it went ok with myself, water was a bit shallower.. GOing to get the GPS out tomoz and see speed.

Any ideas on exhaust set ups, Currently running straight out into the prop will this affect anything??

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:58 pm

mostly your ears and the neighbors won't think much of it LOL

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:00 pm

Cactus The engine I was talkin about is the engine on the boat in the video. The first run was off because a plug wire came off same thing happened at the end of the second run. That doesn't happen any more.

sac86able
Southern Airboat Member

Postby sac86able » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Had the GPS on the Boat yesterday was doing 35kms with one person, i got rid of the straight out exhaust and replaced the muffler alot quieter and maybe a little more power.
Any ideas on Reduction Drives for a 1600 VW.
The motor dosnt seem to be rev that hard

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:36 am

I am guessing your engine has a single barrel carb, fine on cars, but to get it to rev a bit harder, it prolly needs twin carbs and more than likely a different cam shaft. Generally stock VW's were aimed at economical driving ('74 was in the middle of the gas shortage/kaboom) as opposed to horsepower. Sounds like a good engine to start out with, although, 1600 is pretty small) but I think you will need to do a couple of things (cam/carbs) before it will make much in the way of grunt :wink:

If you are set on running a VW, I would just enjoy that one, buy an 1800 or bigger, a good cam and the right carb.... IMO, very limited what you can get out of a 1600 without spending big bucks (and will end up increasing capacity anyway) I suggest you just get this one going as best you can, so you can at least drive your boat, til your monster motor is ready..... rather than spend big on the little 1600 and not be able to run your boat in the meanwhile. :wink:

You might want to fiddle with the timing a bit (try advancing it) block vac advance & use premium gas, but hopefully some other VW addicts will chime in with some rock solid advice :mrgreen:

The exhaust prolly did help, unless a motor is set up to run straight pipes, the back pressure prolly helps with a little extra torque at least (and as someone said earlier, your neighbours will appreciate it too) :shock: :lol:

Do you know how many RPM it is turning at present? The prop prolly needs mor horsies than your 1600 can give it?

sharknaboe123
Southern Airboat Member

Postby sharknaboe123 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:59 pm

just picked up a 10'6 fiberglass hull with a 1600 CC VW. it was a busted prop and needs a new alternator. any advice on a prop size? wood or carbon? 2,3,4,5 blade? not trying to drop thousands into it just wanna get it running and have it get to my duck spots. just picked it up yesterday for a really good deal and couldnt pass it up

techelp3215436655
Southern Airboat Member

Postby techelp3215436655 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 pm

I have done many over the years call me I don't type any more than I have to call me 321-543-6655 airboatdave@gmail.com DON'T RAISE ENGINE OR LOWER IT LEVEL IS CORRECT CALL ME 30 years Making air boats for a living.

Return to “Airboat Tech”