cost to build a palm beach hull compared to buying one

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
young gun 11
Southern Airboat Member

cost to build a palm beach hull compared to buying one

Postby young gun 11 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:00 am

i was thinking about building a palm beach style hull and was wondering a round about cost of what it takes to build one

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: cost to build a palm beach hull compared to buying one

Postby goldhunter_2 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:38 am

sometimes its cheaper to buy one already done , building anything is just time and labor plus materials but all the little stuff on any boat build starts adding up faster then you think. and make sure you decide exactly what you want before you start building

having fun building if a benefit of its own

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:03 am

To build one yourself and if it's the first one ya built. My Guess three times as much! If you want it to run as good as one built by a sled guru!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

BATTLE READY
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby BATTLE READY » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:34 am

You are looking at about $1800.00 for the aluminum needed to build a 12 X 7 full deck with a 2' alum grass rake. $300.00 for an alum gas tank and $520.00 for GXP Polymere.

It will take you approx 110 hours to 125 hours to build the boat. Maybe more if it is your first one.

I was fortunate, before I built my first one, I had rebuilt and repaired a few and most important, while I was building my first one, I had access to one already built to look at to use as a guide as I went. That was HUGE having a completed boat to look at while I was building mine.

Like Dave said if you screw up something and have to buy more metal it can get real expensive very quick.

There are some great deals on Palm Beach Style boats in the classified and If you want a new one Wardaddy just finished one that is for sale and it is BAD ASS !!!

Rob

MikeP
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby MikeP » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:26 pm

I dont know what you got in your garage, but you need a pretty good list of tools and rivets too.

hogdoggin
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby hogdoggin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:39 pm

I Been thinking real hard about building one also. I was going to make mine outta 6061 I have a friend that has one i can copy. Do any of you guys have a lay out of the bottom that they dont mine shareing? Im a Sheet Metal worker by trade and my Grand father has been a sheet metal worker all his life figure this would be a great project that we could do together. Im just not sure how to lay the nose out and to roll the bottom. Thanks ahead of time John

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:33 pm

Having a shrinker would be nice, you can do it with hammer right? build frame first and sheet, sIMPLE! :lol:

I guess whatever you decide to build you should be confident that it will ride the way you want otherwise it will eat you up while you build, sheet, deck, and rig it! :wink: been there done it!

Mine actually worked really well and has some adjustability still perhaps not the best choice however a riveted Palm Beach is set in stone when the rivets are set.

Still glad I did it because it wouldn't have happened any other way. I would actually love to build a little riveted aluminum job with my boys for them to drive.

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:53 pm

Something to think about before you start tho, is your time is worth money, and buying materials at retail prices soon adds up to more than what buying a good second hand hull would cost. Then, if you dont have the tooling & consumables.... the budget often goes Kaboom....

In my ski boat club, I have seen 3 guys start projects to build thier own boats, none have ever finished the project & usually end up buying a boat..... the time, cash & work they did before realising how hard & expensive the project was going to be.... ends up sitting in the corner, taking up shed space and gathering dust :shock: :cry:

Here in Oz, we have NO airboats to speak of, none second hand/available, so I have to build a hull, no other option.... if I could buy a hull easy, like you can, I certainly would, instead of building one. :roll:

Unless you are rich, got lots of time & no other commitments.... or you have access to a metal or fiberglass shop, I would just buy one already made.... even if it means lots of overtime at your job or getting a second job, just for the time to save for the hull or the whole boat.... let someone who is set up for and experienced do the building of the hull, then all you have to do is work to pay for it, but you get the thing (hull or boat) finished, done right, guaranteed and in much quicker time than trying to build it in your 'spare' time :lol:

Just my opinion :wink:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

hogdoggin
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby hogdoggin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:49 pm

CactusJack wrote:Something to think about before you start tho, is your time is worth money, and buying materials at retail prices soon adds up to more than what buying a good second hand hull would cost. Then, if you dont have the tooling & consumables.... the budget often goes Kaboom....

In my ski boat club, I have seen 3 guys start projects to build thier own boats, none have ever finished the project & usually end up buying a boat..... the time, cash & work they did before realising how hard & expensive the project was going to be.... ends up sitting in the corner, taking up shed space and gathering dust :shock: :cry:

Here in Oz, we have NO airboats to speak of, none second hand/available, so I have to build a hull, no other option.... if I could buy a hull easy, like you can, I certainly would, instead of building one. :roll:

Unless you are rich, got lots of time & no other commitments.... or you have access to a metal or fiberglass shop, I would just buy one already made.... even if it means lots of overtime at your job or getting a second job, just for the time to save for the hull or the whole boat.... let someone who is set up for and experienced do the building of the hull, then all you have to do is work to pay for it, but you get the thing (hull or boat) finished, done right, guaranteed and in much quicker time than trying to build it in your 'spare' time :lol:

Just my opinion :wink:

It isn't that easy to come by a palm beach hull that is in good shape that they dont want a arm and leg for thats why alot of guys try to build them. I have a Aluimtech hull that i went down and bought from aluimtech its a nice hull but i want to build a hunt boat and thats what Palm beach hulls were bulit for.

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:35 am

Thats fair enough Hogdoggin, I just wanted to make the point that so many folks that start projects often run out of energy or money as the costs add up :wink: I don't intend to offend you or doubt your ability in any way :wink:

It is a great feeling to start & finish a project and get to use it & enjoy it, so I wish you all the best in your venture, whichever direction you end up going :mrgreen:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

CS0540
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby CS0540 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:05 pm

Hogdoggin PM me your number i have a pattern for a 13x7 i also am building one now
CS0540

Return to “Airboat Tech”