WHIRLWIND narrow whisper tip test

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

WHIRLWIND narrow whisper tip test

Post by cntry141iq »

Well I got my original whisper tip narrow blades off the UPS truck thursday. I know they are original because sensenitch doesn't make a narrow swept tip blade ... I asked them in person so I know the answer. The workmanship was as usual ... outstanding in both the blades and the hub. The hub had a few new cuts on it that looked much better.

I replaced the 69.5 inch standard width whisper tip with a 72 inch narrow whisper tip. I pitched them to run the same engine rpms. I don't know the degrees or inches of twist because I know the marks on the hub are for reference only and the blades have no flat level spot to even think about getting a true pitch number. I use a digital protractor to make sure all my blades are set the same but that won't give me the real pitch reading.

I ran some ground first of all with them and it seemed to move sooner and was quite responsive I figure this was due to the longer length, I had no more sound generated with them than I had with the standard whiper tips but it was much quieter that any of the square tip blades from any manufacturer that I have ran and there is only one company whose blades I have not ran. I ran the same top end speed but there may be some more there because I was pushin water up over the bow under full acceleration but there was no dry spot to stop where I was at then to work on the boat. Now if ya'll want some excitement just go out on a cold night with no other boats along or around ... and push the bow under at 40 mph .. I figured it was an accident so i had to do it a few times to make sure it was happenning.

I would say that the 72 inch blades are a good choice.

I also got a set of 70 inch blades in the narrow design to go on my 160 lycoming which is under construction right now. I got them because no one makes a swept tip blade for small aircraft engines except WHIRLWIND. Well SENSENITCH does make a swept tip blade to replace the warp drive blades so that may count. I am trying to make my 160 as quiet as my car motor boats have been in the past and that will require a swept tip blade to do it.

So I will give the thumbs up to the whisper tip narrow blades for small left hand rotation applications like 4 cylinder aircraft and of course my belt drive volkswagen setup. I have about 50 hours on my VW and am having some carb linkage issues and a couple of minor oil leaks but no more problems after I blew up the first two of them and then tore down the sister engine and found the same issues in there so I didn't have to blow that one up just rebuild it while it was still new LOL well it is cleaner that way at least.

So thats the facts folks just the facts and nothin but the facts and if you don't beleive me ... well just ask me...
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

18thecaptain
Southern Airboat Member

Re: WHIRLWIND narrow whisper tip test

Post by 18thecaptain »

do you still have the 69.5 blades or any other prop for a 4 cylinder that you would like to sell?

swamp runner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamp runner »

them blades your'e talking about replace origonal warp blades?if so can you poet pic.
12' HAMANT ULTRALIGHT - 180 LYCOMING - 68" CYPRESS SERIES

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

18thecaptian ... I have several setups you can choose from so give me a call 941-345-5726

swamprunner ... sensenitch went into production on them this week .. they call them the sabre blades I don't have a pic but there are some in the photo galleries.

I am a dealer for WHIRLWIND, SENSENITCH, WARPDRIVE, AND IVO so I can get any prop combo you want except waterwalker/powershift.
If anyone wants prices and specifics give me a call ... Cntry
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 »

CNTRY,

WOULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE NARROW BLADE ON YOUR LYCOMING 160 WHEN YOU TRY IT. I AM THINKING OF GOING THE SAME DIRECTION. THANKS
I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

MJD291 wrote:CNTRY,

WOULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE NARROW BLADE ON YOUR LYCOMING 160 WHEN YOU TRY IT. I AM THINKING OF GOING THE SAME DIRECTION. THANKS
Absolutely ... that is why I have one. So far I like the weight of the prop setup and even though it is a little longer than what most run on that small a engine it should still spinup fast enough. I am trying to make a quiet a/c boat like I said so have to think outta the box but not outta my mind I hope. We will see soon it is comin together now if the engine I bought is worth a crap I will be good to go soon.

BenBad
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by BenBad »

cntry141iq, I am thinking about changing my prop this next spring. I would like another opinon. I currently have a 400 SBC on a heavy 14ft hull, direct drive. My current prop is a 72in 3 blade Magnum IVOPROP. After I adjusted the pitch to allow my engine to run up to 3000 RPM's I was getting around fairly good. I am considering a 2 blade 72in Magnum Baddle IVOPROP. Or a Sensenich 72in 2 blade wide blade. Hope this is enough info to help.
Rick Powers
Omaha NE
http://www.yourtalkingnow.com/

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

I don't believe the sensenitch wide blade will work if you are running a direct drive setup. Both whirlwind and sensenitch have blades that will work for you. The narrow whisper tip two blade would probably be a little quieter. Both are good props and both will yeild approx the same thrust.

BenBad
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by BenBad »

cntry141iq: Thank you for the reply. I am still trying to learn about these dadburn machines. It took all summer for me to get the boat running better. Reducing the pitch of the blade to get more thrust did not sound right to me. But the more RPM's created more trust from some where.
Rick Powers
Omaha NE
http://www.yourtalkingnow.com/

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

well we finally got the old raggedy 160 lycoming fourbanger put together. I had some carb troubles which is one thing I seem to remeber from my youth about aircraft engines LOL wasn't nuthin a airworthy carb wouldn't fix though. Anyways back to the purpose of this thread ... the props

The 70 inch narrow whisper tip pushed the boat to 60 mph no ear muffs were needed by myself or the passenger who had never ridden an airboat before. I ran some dry but it isn't fond of the actual hill/bank climbing but that could have been the person and junk sitting past the step on the front of the hull. I was turning it 2700 rpms and if I was by myself I am sure it would have been faster. The snap was good the sound signature was excellent. cruised at about 1500 rpms jumped right on plane.

I would say the narrow whisper tip is a great choice for small aircraft engines both for the push and the sound. It is a hard one to beat and currently I know of no other swept tip prop for small aircraft engines. The length at 70" is not an issue to the prop spinnin up quickly. It maybe an issue if you built your cage to barely clear a 66 or a 68. I don't beleive it can be cut any shorter so far but will do some more checking on that.

So if you are in the market for a composite to replace your wood I certainly would suggest you check this one out. If you are local to florida well let me know and I can give you a chance to spin one yourself before you buy it. Whirlwind has a 30 day moneyback happy guarantee but if you can spin before you buy that is even better. Now keep in mind I like to ride also so you can't run off with my prop too far but will help ya all I can.

Oh yeah I am runnin the same mufflers I ran on my car motor boats and it helps big time and no loss of power noticed with the 3" pipes.

Happy slidin

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 »

CNTRY,

I COULDN'T STAND IT AND BOUGHT ONE FOR MY 160. I WILL POST MY OPINION AFTER I RUN IT.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

Thats great ... I am sure you will be happy with it. You coulda called me up and took me shrimpin and I woulda loaned ya the prop while I was shrimpin LOL. You will be pleased for sure and can't wait for the details. I am gonna run mine again this weekend as well. I had a oil leak on my engine if you can imagine such a thing on a aircraft engine. LOL Now I hope the only leak left is out the exhaust pipes and vent hose but it is only a matter of time I know.

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 »

CNTRY,

I RAN THE PROP TONIGHT AND MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! THAT PROP MAKES MY BOAT PUSH ON THE HILL MUCH HARDER NOW. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE PUSH OF THIS PROP. IT IS STILL TO EARLY ON THE SHRIMPIN OTHERWISE I MAY HAVE TAKEN YOU UP ON YOUR OFFER. :mrgreen:

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

Glad to hear it ... I always want to rush shrimpin and speck fishin ... it is hard to wait on the cooler waters.

The best part of the whisper tip to me ... is what you don't hear ... The sound is much different. I will stop short of saying less sound because sound is actually pressure and tone is usually what we pick up on the most rather than actual sound. A warpdrive is actually basically the same level of sound as any other prop but it is a very irritating tone.

So run it like you stole it and let us know........

Return to “Airboat Tech”