Question about prop sounds...

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
SWAMPCRACKER
Southern Airboat Member

Question about prop sounds...

Post by SWAMPCRACKER »

I was outside the other day and heard a cessna flying over head and thought to myself...Why do airplanes with props sound different in the air than airboats do on water with a/c motors ? I always wondered this...Is it because of thinner air in higher altitudes or prop designs ?...Would any of you know? I hope i'm not the only one with this crazy question ! lol I hope i'm not going crazy but i swear there's a difference in sound...
~ WAY DOWN SOUTH IN THE EVERGLADES ~
~ WHERE THE BLACK WATER ROLLS AND THE SAWGRASS WAVES ~
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Question about prop sounds...

Post by Whitebear »

Outside of different prop design and muffler design, the airplane dissipated noise in a 360 degree pattern up down, forward and backward. An airboat has a different prop that typically is spinning a bit faster than an airplane prop but also the airboat has a table of water right under the engine and prop to reflect sound off of. The sound of an airboat is dissipated in only about a 180 degree pattern but it has the same intensity in that half pattern as an airplane does in the full 360 degrees.

Thats just my take on it anyway. Good observation.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.
SWAMPCRACKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SWAMPCRACKER »

Thanks for the knowledge I did'nt think about how the prop on an airboat reflects its sound off the water vs just air alone...Makes sense to me...It was just something I always wondered about...
~ WAY DOWN SOUTH IN THE EVERGLADES ~
~ WHERE THE BLACK WATER ROLLS AND THE SAWGRASS WAVES ~
ROBERT JAMES
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ROBERT JAMES »

Whitebear wrote:Outside of different prop design and muffler design, the airplane dissipated noise in a 360 degree pattern up down, forward and backward. An airboat has a different prop that typically is spinning a bit faster than an airplane prop but also the airboat has a table of water right under the engine and prop to reflect sound off of. The sound of an airboat is dissipated in only about a 180 degree pattern but it has the same intensity in that half pattern as an airplane does in the full 360 degrees.

Thats just my take on it anyway. Good observation.
all of wich i have to agree with except that an airboat prop is spinning faster than a airplanes. i would say a typical a/c airboat cruises around the lake at anywhere from 1300-2000rpm depending on the load and water depth while a typical cessna 172's cruise rpm is between 2300-2500rpm. now at WOT yes and airboat is runniin 3grand wich a cessna rarely if ever will see
13'6 hydrex predator widetrack, io540, 78" terminator

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
SlowRide
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by SlowRide »

WB I think I hear an echo
Guns Have Two Enemies....Rust And Politicians.
Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

Doppler effect, how often are you below an airboat to listen to the sound it makes.

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop
CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack »

^Deuce, only sometimes when the driver has had a bit much beer :drunken: and he aint looking where he's going :lol:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

Return to “Airboat Tech”