Testing new stingernental boat

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Testing new stingernental boat

Post by goldhunter_2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Dan ,
that looks pretty sweet and not to mention that video looks like it was made inside the building with no mufflers and still quieter then most car boats when you get it where you want that will be a sweet ride

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:36 pm

3 Newbi Questions regarding the vidio..........

1) both times the boat was started, a few seconds after starting there was a pop and puff of smoke just above the gas tank. Is that typical of a/c motors and is it anything to be concerned about.

2) I was surprised to see a radiator type tank below the rear portion of the engine. Was that a oil cooler, since I don't think a/c has radiator.

3) I've never seen a ab with suspension. Just supported by shocks. Looks like maybe airshocks. I thought these things rode pretty good solid, is that a big advantage? Looks like a pretty simple set up to build.

Thanks in advance for some simple answers for simple me. :lol: Boat does look awsome. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:44 pm

JT540 wrote:...its amazing how a 300 hp aircraft motor with a real high reduction can spin the same prop the same rpms as a 550 hp car motor with a twice the reduction.
Sorry but that's bs. 300 hp at the prop hub is 300 hp - regardless of what's in front of the prop hub.
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:59 pm

airduds wrote:
JT540 wrote:...its amazing how a 300 hp aircraft motor with a real high reduction can spin the same prop the same rpms as a 550 hp car motor with a twice the reduction.
Sorry but that's bs. 300 hp at the prop hub is 300 hp - regardless of what's in front of the prop hub.
NO THAT IS BS. JUST LIKE HE SAID IT AMAZING WHAT AN AC WILL SWING WITH A LITTLE BIT OF REDUCTION COMPARED TO AN AUTOMOTIVE WITH A LOT OF REDUCTION AND HORSE POWER TO BOOT.

GEOFF

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Hey Dan just wondering did you have something in front of the boat to keep it from moving while you were giving it gas. :lol: Seems like that thing would fly right on out of there. :lol:

Geoff

jdotson
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by jdotson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:03 pm

hmgm123 wrote:
airduds wrote:
NO THAT IS BS. JUST LIKE HE SAID IT AMAZING WHAT AN AC WILL SWING WITH A LITTLE BIT OF REDUCTION COMPARED TO AN AUTOMOTIVE WITH A LOT OF REDUCTION AND HORSE POWER TO BOOT.

GEOFF
It's all in the torque curve of the engines.
They said I ran from the fight like a scared rabbit, but how do they know I wasn't running to a second fight like an angry rabbit...

jdotson
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by jdotson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:09 pm

I'm thinking that gearbox setup would work well with my new Speedwheelie 520 conversion..... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: My next plan is to redo all the metal work so I may have to keep the gearbox in mind! :D :D :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock:
They said I ran from the fight like a scared rabbit, but how do they know I wasn't running to a second fight like an angry rabbit...

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:30 pm

What I can't get over is how smooth that motor was running. That gear box must absorb a lot of the feed back from the motor.

Geoff

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:15 pm

akblackdawg wrote:3 Newbi Questions regarding the vidio..........

1) both times the boat was started, a few seconds after starting there was a pop and puff of smoke just above the gas tank. Is that typical of a/c motors and is it anything to be concerned about.

2) I was surprised to see a radiator type tank below the rear portion of the engine. Was that a oil cooler, since I don't think a/c has radiator.

3) I've never seen a ab with suspension. Just supported by shocks. Looks like maybe airshocks. I thought these things rode pretty good solid, is that a big advantage? Looks like a pretty simple set up to build.

Thanks in advance for some simple answers for simple me. :lol: Boat does look awsome. Bud
Its not my boat but maybe i can tide you over with some answers. That engine is brand new, first time fired, its gonna puff a little bit. No radiator on that beast, but it is pretty big for an oil cooler. The suspension i remember seeing for the first time about 2 years ago maybe... simpson airboats? does it. From what i remember a gentleman with some neck or back problems decided he needed a smoother ride, so he started tinkering. Theres other videos of em running that suspension, but i cant seem to find em. I think its a sweet idea and really wanted to build mine that way (similar) because i have ben putting air suspensions on custom cars/trucks for years now, so the concept is the exact same to me, although im confident i could make a pretty smooth ride :wink:
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

CRACKERSTYLE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CRACKERSTYLE » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Dan, looks great- makes me want to do the same to my 8 cylinder
John 3:16

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:50 pm

image the prop that would turn :D

dantheairboatman
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by dantheairboatman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:19 pm

The reason for the popping was a mag was 180 out of time. Really suprised at how smooth and quiet the set up is. Still waiting on the ceramic caoted headers and ex to come in so it will be real quiet. We were up against time but got a couple of test done. All the carbs we hadb were not working right. The ma 4/5. 4404 was leaning out bad on the top end. Our larger ma 6 would not work. We have cont. Injection for it so we will likly go that route. We will post a video soon. We tested a hot cad with a stinger and sw and garretts waterthunder 500hp stinger 2.55 four blade r for comparison. We blew as much as the cad only turning 3200rpm and were with in three hundred of the water thunder. Our tune is still way off so we are going to see good improvements. The plate on the engine says it is a 230hp cont. Carb. We are blowing more than a 300hp lyc right now. Loveing this boat so far so stay tuned....
Ox Box. Billet gear reductions and clutch systems
Sensenich propellers dealer.
Airboat consulting.
Dan@352 812 2239

klutch
Southern Airboat Member

Post by klutch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:23 pm

Hey, Dan nice boat. Who built the metal work? Looks Great! Did a big name company build it? Hope to see more of it !

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:24 pm

got me wishin i would have took you up on that offer a couple years back , do all the r&d and i ll be thinkin about a riggin change 8)

dantheairboatman
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by dantheairboatman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Stumpjumper's out of mayo did the rigging. The airride is by simpson suspensions. Hull is 16/8 marshmaster jimmy white. Prop are 82in three blade sensenich r and s.
Airboat consulting.
Dan@352 812 2239

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:15 am

Dan,
the above test the comparability boat used a 4 blade R where you still turning the three blade R in your first video to get those thrust results

JT540
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by JT540 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:35 am

dan i just pickup my go540 yesterday from gary barber. everthing looks sweet with the mods im gonna do to it and continental injections system im hoping for 340 to 350 at 3400 rpms. what do you think i need for a prop with the factory aircraft gearbox. i was thinking a three blade 78 r and just adding pitch.
"THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WOMEN THE MORE I LOVE MY AIRBOAT"

Qwikdiesel
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Qwikdiesel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:06 am

dantheairboatman wrote:The reason for the popping was a mag was 180 out of time. Really suprised at how smooth and quiet the set up is. Still waiting on the ceramic caoted headers and ex to come in so it will be real quiet. We were up against time but got a couple of test done. All the carbs we hadb were not working right. The ma 4/5. 4404 was leaning out bad on the top end. Our larger ma 6 would not work. We have cont. Injection for it so we will likly go that route. We will post a video soon. We tested a hot cad with a stinger and sw and garretts waterthunder 500hp stinger 2.55 four blade r for comparison. We blew as much as the cad only turning 3200rpm and were with in three hundred of the water thunder. Our tune is still way off so we are going to see good improvements. The plate on the engine says it is a 230hp cont. Carb. We are blowing more than a 300hp lyc right now. Loveing this boat so far so stay tuned....
First off, awesome job!! Second. are you guy's going to be doing any R&D for Lycomings?
Rule #1.. There Not Fake If You Can Touch Them!!

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:25 am

Totally awsome boat/engine combo Dan :shock: I is impressed :wink:

That dyno idea for thrust testing is a fantastic idea :bounce:

Lucky there was no loose paperwork on the desk in the video :lol: or it would have ended up as wall paper :lol:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:59 am

I think I just shocked Garrett he asked me how much thrust did I think he made. I guesses it within 20lb's yes 20lb's. I think some people are going to find out real quick how hard it is to just make 30 more pounds of thrust! Then I told him all he is gonna do is make people mad at him. The thrust numbers are not going to be as high as everyone thinks and everyone is going to disagree with his numbers. When somebody makes 4 big changes and only picks up 30lb's the first thing their going to say is I KNOW HIS SCALE IS WRONG! HE-HE Garrett is a super nice guy I kinda feel bad because he has no idea what he is getting into! It's awesome to see someone doing stuff like this but he will find out most people do not want the truth and they will also deny the truth!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 pm

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: OH HAIL THE MIGHTY WATERTHUNDER.OH BOY YOU GUESSED RIGHT.DO YOU EVER GET ON HERE AND NOT START STROKING YOUR EGO?
DAN,THAT BOAT IS BAD A$$,CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT ON THE LAKE.GOOD JOB.

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:27 pm

Once again Tony you are wrong I guessed thrust # wrong many times but after a bunch of RnD you learn. You should try it some time!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

dantheairboatman
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by dantheairboatman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:56 pm

I would like to be able to take a pump gas mild ac and increase thrust by 300 or 400pd gain a lot of snap and cut the sound about in half. My crankshaft c/l off the bottom of the hull is 46in so nice cg. Garretts and I brainstormed the idea of a proper tester and he ran with it and did a great job! The smart trailer tells a lot more than just thrust. I'm not interested in blowing the worlds biggest # but more interested in haveing tool to see improvements acuretly. I will post some # as we get the right induction on it and our program down.
Airboat consulting.
Dan@352 812 2239

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by nomad41 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:04 pm

congrats to all.Who are working to make this better for all us poor airboaters.Doesn't matter what you run as long as your having fun.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:14 pm

your doing a fine job and going about it the right way testing different combos on your rig you have access to more accurate equipment then most of us do witch makes it valuable R&D work not only for you but also all airboaters . let us know when as you progress

Return to “Airboat Tech”