have a question about digital guages

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
greasemonkeymotors
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

have a question about digital guages

Post by greasemonkeymotors » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:11 am

im just wondering if anyone knows of or can tell me if its posible to use digital guages on a aircraft motor? what id like to find is a small simple one digital guage i can press a button on and go from oil temp oil pressure to a tach maybe battery voltage all in one nice neat like 3 inch round guage. i had one in a car before so its out there but ive never seen anyone use a digital tach on a airboat with an aircraft motor can you do it? if so how would you hook it up. the motors a gso480 with mags still

4 pistons and a Prop
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: have a question about digital guages

Post by 4 pistons and a Prop » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:08 am

Yes, Aircraft spruce sells half a dozen combinations of them. They arent very cheap, and I was looking in to them, but wasnt sure how durable they would be (moisture etc).
when in doubt power out.

4 pistons and a Prop
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 4 pistons and a Prop » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:24 am

The instrument I found was the Electronics international engine analyzer, with either up to 8, or 12 probes. It was out of my price range, so I found some 4-in one guages by westach (called the quads) with any 4 combinations of CHT/EGT/Oil Temp/Oil Pressure/Fuel Pressure/Volts/RPM/Water Temp/etc... for less than a quarter of the price of a digital. All comes in a 3-1/8", 6oz guage. Senders are cheaper as well.
when in doubt power out.

4 pistons and a Prop
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 4 pistons and a Prop » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:27 am

One more thing, They also have selector switches, so for example if one of the 4 sensors on the 4-in one guage is CHT, you can have all six cylinders CHT's by the turn of a switch. Good luck.
when in doubt power out.

Des Moines Boater
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Des Moines Boater » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:33 am

Aircraft gauges go inside a nice dry cockpit. They are not designed for a marine enviornment. I use them on my boat that is always stored outside, but I have a cover to protect the instruments when the boat is not in use.
13' 6 Lazer, 383 SBC 425 hp, 2.7 Ballistic, 3 blade 80 NGR

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by grant » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:43 am

Des Moines Boater wrote:Aircraft gauges go inside a nice dry cockpit. They are not designed for a marine enviornment. I use them on my boat that is always stored outside, but I have a cover to protect the instruments when the boat is not in use.
I wondered just how long it was gonna be before someone posted what should have been obvious :roll:
"Don't Taze me Bro"

hogdoggin
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hogdoggin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:57 pm

A buddy of mine had digital gauges on his boat it was a 500 cad They sucked you couldnt see them in the day light. His oil line broke when he was running and pumped all the oil out of his motor sence he couldn't see the oil pressure you know what happen next. But hey they sure looked cool at night.

Return to “Airboat Tech”