Does Cage Wire affect performance?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Roxy7430
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Does Cage Wire affect performance?

Post by Roxy7430 »

Does anyone have any documented info on how much the type (size) of cage wire affects boat performance?

Also curious if wire selection noticeably affects towing resistance.

I assume that the cage wire creates "dirty" air making the prop less efficient?
Also assume that cage wire also creates towing resistance?

Has anybody determined the difference between 2x4, 4x4 and 5x5 wire spacing re above?
4x4 seems to be the pattern of choice.....why not go to 5x5??
Jim Allen, President
Go Ballistic Airboat Co
352 463 3960
jim.a@pharma-mgt.com

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Does Cage Wire affect performance?

Post by Ruagatr »

Cage wire does make a huge difference until you get to 2x4...then its all about equal. The key is big enough without letting a hand or foot go through to the prop..otherwise why run any wire. Expanded metal on a cage will cut the thrust by 40% if it covers the whole cage. Side pieces dont matter.

Maddog

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 »

i remember an article in the old us airboat magazine years ago about how much more resistance there was with a flat pancake cage as opposed to a regular full cage made of the same size wire and tubing something to do with the angle the wire an tubing cut thru the air but i dont remember all the details

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

I don't know of a formula but I am sure there is one but probably quite complicated. Air will run along the outside of an angled cage technically it goes through the air better than a pancake ... however the prop needs air to generate thrust so you want the air to go thru the cage not over the outside of it. Most manufacturers use 2x4 for insurance reasons .. I like a 5x5 or a 6x6 but it is hard to find in panels so the last 5x5 I built was using 1/8 stainless rods welded up one piece at a time.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

thats not to wise no need to go bigger than 3x3 anything bigger and an arm or leg can go through why bother with wire at all if ur gonna do that jmo
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

boobidges
Southern Airboat Member

Post by boobidges »

you know the difference when you pull it.pancake is the least resistence.if theres less resistence,then the air must flow thru it better.that welded cold roll has to be heavy.

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

I know of an experiment where 3 cage builders were arguing over what cage is best. So they made a bet and all three built their cage and installed it on a boat then they towed it down I95 two cages had so much drag the truck towing them couldn't even get to 60mph the pancake was the worse. So then all three cages were towed at 50MPG and the RPM's were recorded then after realizing the potential of this redneck wind tunnel we started experimenting with different wire patterns on the same cage and towing it!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

QuackKills
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by QuackKills »

Waterthunder wrote:I know of an experiment where 3 cage builders were arguing over what cage is best. So they made a bet and all three built their cage and installed it on a boat then they towed it down I95 two cages had so much drag the truck towing them couldn't even get to 60mph the pancake was the worse. So then all three cages were towed at 50MPG and the RPM's were recorded then after realizing the potential of this redneck wind tunnel we started experimenting with different wire patterns on the same cage and towing it!
And the result was???

Which pattern worked the best?
16x8 Alumitech 3/4 Deckover, Chev 454, 2.3:1 Redux & 3 Blade K Series Sensenich

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

Waterthunder wrote:I know of an experiment where 3 cage builders were arguing over what cage is best. So they made a bet and all three built their cage and installed it on a boat then they towed it down I95 two cages had so much drag the truck towing them couldn't even get to 60mph the pancake was the worse. So then all three cages were towed at 50MPG and the RPM's were recorded then after realizing the potential of this redneck wind tunnel we started experimenting with different wire patterns on the same cage and towing it!

Yeah what was the point? I feel like my wife just told a joke at a party.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

rbjscott
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by rbjscott »

Wire on a cage does affect performance, the cage becomes a suction screen for the prop. There are charts for calculation suction screen performance. I have looked through my old books and can not find the referance book, folks who supply wire mesh have them. By the way the cage itself reduces flow and peformance.
"The price of Freedom is high! And the sound of Freedom is loud!" (Jet fighter pilot)

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by aherr520 »

I still think wire size,size of holes and the diameter of tube the cage is built out of all plays a big part the airboats don't weigh that much but yet my deisel truck feels it and my fuel milelage goes way down, one day I will figure it out and build new rigging.
aaof member

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

I'm surprised cntry or thunder didn't say anything, but it can go beyond just the cage and wire, even the seats, gas tank, and whatever else will affect the air to the prop.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by pirate »

A few years back I found an aircraft discussion board. The topic was tension wire and stanchion drag. Some bi-wing aircraft use tension wire or stanchions in some cases to adjust or support the shape of the wings. Some engineering types had experimented with the shape of the wire. According to the discussion, wire or stanchions that were oval or egg shapped as opposed to circular had less drag.

Maybe some of the pilot types on here can chime in.
Compromise is failure on the installment plan.

lil_armond
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by lil_armond »

If you want to understand these dynamics study up on negative pressure. The more wire you have the more negative pressure is created thus you have more drag. I bet there are a lot of guys out there that think there motor is strong but you put it in a "cleaner" cage and they will quickly see that they don't have the power they thought.

By the way there is nothing wrong with 5 X 5 wire unless your running a pancake cage then you need to worry about a arm or leg.
''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
-- John Wayne

15' x 8' Alumitech w/ 84" 5 blade Superwide

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

the prop when pulling a boat down the road matters too my dodge feels my three blade way more than the two blade
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

cont520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cont520 »

I run 4x5 wire spacing I used stainless 1/8'' peices and never have even had a close call with hands legs fingers toes asses or anything else that sticks out from your body getting close. I also run a full cage not a pancake. As far as drag oh yeah u can deff. tell a difference pulling my boat down the interstate with the wider gaps vs the closer
Robert Mccormick
Plant City Florida, Toxic calls Pro staff and proud member of usfth
Ultimate Shot Productions prostaffer

Return to “Airboat Tech”