Breather ?s

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Breather ?s

Post by rost495 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:54 am

I have a K/N on my valve cover, the one with half a shroud.....

I finally broke it good(thanks for safety cables!) because no one put an oil fill on my valve cover... local after market ones are too flimsy.

Where is a source of these and are any made where I can leave em in place and add oil through the top? If not I bought some small livewell plugs and will drill a hole...

Local napa could not find or order these.

Thanks, Jeff

18panther
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Breather ?s

Post by 18panther » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:27 am

They make necks you can weld on your covers for oil fill.Depending on if they are aluminum/steel , finned/flat.

I run baffled breathers on all my boats.

I can get you part #'s if you need them.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:32 am

AL covers .. don't know difference between flat and finned though.. I do have an AL welder here.. If I could buy a fill neck that would be nice too.

Links appreciated.

18panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 18panther » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:23 am

Finned is grooves across the top.

The filler is a Moroso # 85282.

The breather is a 68780. Just paint it black.

Let me know if you need anything else.

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:16 pm

rost495 wrote:AL covers .. don't know difference between flat and finned though.. I do have an AL welder here.. If I could buy a fill neck that would be nice too.

Links appreciated.
I know Smilies race shop in Spring has them. have yo tried a local race shop? I am not talking about a city boy competition sales I am talking about a real race shop that supplies stuff for your local dirt trac boys.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Ain't got no dirt track boys or dirt track around here....

I'll check out the parts and talk a buddy into welding it I hope.

I figured Napa could order it... wrong.... I guess thats what ya get for a town of 4500... I love it though... living OUT of town int he country at least.

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:14 pm

I welded these on my aluminum covers. Mine are flat on top, so I drilled the hole a hair small and welded these on the top. They also have 2 baffles inside and the prop cant suck any oil out. The breathers clamp on, and so far Ive got about a year out of them running almost every weekend, and theyre still good, but it looks like I may need some new breathers in less than a year. The price isnt bad though. The baffles make filling it with oil take a while though... Might want to weld on a separate "fill" with these...??

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-68800/?rtype=10
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:11 pm

Yobee and others. To make it easier to fill your engine with oil,you can take a short piece of radiator hose and stick it on the breather stub. The oil will pour right in. It makes life alot easier.
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Post by belly_up » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Jeff, are you talking about the push in style?

I've gotten the slip on style and the push in style at NAPA. They both had the half shield i believe.
It ain't no woman flesh and blood, it's that damned 'ol airboat.

DHouser
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DHouser » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:53 pm

yobee wrote:I welded these on my aluminum covers. Mine are flat on top, so I drilled the hole a hair small and welded these on the top. They also have 2 baffles inside and the prop cant suck any oil out. The breathers clamp on, and so far Ive got about a year out of them running almost every weekend, and theyre still good, but it looks like I may need some new breathers in less than a year. The price isnt bad though. The baffles make filling it with oil take a while though... Might want to weld on a separate "fill" with these...??

Jeff i have 2 of these and the and everything you prob need to get the job done. Call me 8326422130
16x8 Air Ranger 383 sbc 2.3-1 78'' 3 blade WW

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Post by belly_up » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 pm

Looks just like what you need, I never knew they sold em in kits like that.

Jeff, if you do get those from Dustin my buddy is drivin by there friday and coming up to La Grange, i'm sure he could grab em for you.
It ain't no woman flesh and blood, it's that damned 'ol airboat.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Had a bad family issue... just now checking back.. gotta check on some things..

The push in ones napa had... no way they'd stay in after one dry run.... they were mr gasket..

Jeff

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:37 pm

DHouser wrote:
yobee wrote:I welded these on my aluminum covers. Mine are flat on top, so I drilled the hole a hair small and welded these on the top. They also have 2 baffles inside and the prop cant suck any oil out. The breathers clamp on, and so far Ive got about a year out of them running almost every weekend, and theyre still good, but it looks like I may need some new breathers in less than a year. The price isnt bad though. The baffles make filling it with oil take a while though... Might want to weld on a separate "fill" with these...??

Jeff i have 2 of these and the and everything you prob need to get the job done. Call me 8326422130

Dustin... can't quite work for me... I have holes with baffles in place for the breathers already.... pre sized at 1.25 inches IIRC... I"m after a way to fill oil only. Moroso will solve that. Sorry... if I had no holes already I'd get yours off you in a heartbeat!
Jeff

Return to “Airboat Tech”