Cage Material

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
zman921
Southern Airboat Member

Cage Material

Post by zman921 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:09 pm

I've just bought another airboat and I'm questioning the cage material that’s on it, it’s some 1" x 1" square plastic coated stuff, does anyone think I will have some air resistant to the prop with this kind of material, I've used 2" x 4" in the past??

THanks

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Cage Material

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:38 pm

I'd get that off and put the 2X4 on it. It WILL affect it no doubt about it... I just went with 4X4 handlayed 1/8 wire...
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:58 pm

zman, I was at HATM and was watching someone cutting every other wire ( I think he had 1X2 wire) on his cage. He ended up cutting every other wire to open up the cage so the air would flow better......... Said it made a big difference.. Unsure exactly what wire he had, but it obviously made a difference by reducing the amount of resistance and more air flow........
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:55 pm

I'm thinking about changing my screen name from BD to Leatherman. I'm the guy what did the cutting on Scott Sommers old cage / new boat with my Leatherman. He bribed me with grilled backstrap.

AFTER I did it on my own DBack. Of all the sheetzz I have tried and done to improve the performance of MY BOAT, nothing has more evidently WORKED. Picked up almost 10 mph on the towing speed at the same RPM with my Suburban (327).

Notable improvement in my C0-540 full day fuel consumption while cruising around Lake KIss during HATM (27 gals). I hauled two adults and one 65 pound Pooter.

Scott's I0-520 fuel consumption appeared to drop significanly from Friday with 2 X 4 to Saturday with 4 X 4.

I found out that the easiest way to remove every other strand was to place the needle nose parallel to the strand to be removed and wiggle at each weld.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

BenBad
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by BenBad » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:03 pm

I went from the 2x4 to the 4x4 cage wire and will never go back. Love it that way.
Rick Powers
Omaha NE
http://www.yourtalkingnow.com/

djh0405
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by djh0405 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:02 am

ive been thinkning of doing the same thing. removing every other wire. i was thinking about leaving it 2x4 on the front of the cage where it goes to the bottom of the hull and start cutting after about to feet from the bottom. the whole cage would have 4x4 except for about 2 feet on each side of the front, never know when someone might drop a can or something, this could help keep it from getting sucked thru... just a thought.

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by grant » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:02 am

Y'all got this all wrong....Waterthunder says blocking airflow has no effect on thrust, just add more prop :shock: :shock:
"Don't Taze me Bro"

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks for posting BigDaddy............ Did not mean to "call you out" on you cutting the cage... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .... Was just passing some info on... That, and by me posting what I did, some might not believe it.... But, hearing it come from the actual operator, and seeing how much of a difference it makes,.. Shoot, I might try the same thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: .... I would have cut my cage for some grilled backstrap myself. Should have told me !!!!!!!!!!
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

gahillhunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gahillhunter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:09 am

Gee big daddy you must have a transmission problem, 10MPH at the same RPM, Not possable unless your transmission is slipping or your driving on Ice.

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:31 pm

My truck pulled my boat at about 60 mph at about 2,000 RPM - it now pulls my boat at about 68 - 70 at 2k - I don't know about possible - I do know what my guages say. At 145K miles, lots of things could be slipping. Primarily, it has stopped my OD Trans from constantly dropping down a gear while on the road. Sure might not work the same for others.

Cutting every other cage strand to create 4 x 4 spacing has reduced towing strain, inproved my boats performance and reduced tow vehicle and airboating fuel consumption for me.

Thank You, Todd Stanley - The Original Sumter County Outlaw - for pointing this out to me.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by aherr520 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:14 am

the cage has a huge effect on wind resistance I'm still trying to come up with an idea thats a safe design for the cage and rigging. when I rebuild mine I'm shooting for aero dynamic design I have a deisel truck and I can see my fuel gauge drop when I pull my boat. think about if there was less wind resistance your boat would use less fuel and be faster everyone is so worried about the weight of the boat thats only part of it. using that big aluminum for the rigging looks great but I'm sure holds the boat back. mine is 1/2 and 3/4 stainless steel tube and is the least you can go in my opinon also keep it as low as you can
aaof member

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:52 am

Grant please don't twist my words I said if you have a big enough prop you can compromise a poor flowing cage by simply adding pitch. A poor flowing cage can make the same thrust as a clean cage if the prop is not at the end of it's pich marks and is still in it's efficient range. I know this because we have tested and proved it on our thrust analyzer!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

T. Gaffney
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by T. Gaffney » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:25 am

Grant,

You better leave Dave alone! He's gonna get after you with his "Thrust Analyzer"!!

thumbnailCA9FV3RZ.jpg
thumbnailCA9FV3RZ.jpg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 835 times
Sorry Dave, I couldn't help it... :toothy7:

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:26 pm

It don't bother me a bit. Trust me I'm laughing myself!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Another thing to note is that in wire of the same diameter
the 1''x1'' is almost twice as heavy as the 2''x4'' wire. per
square foot. Might not be alot, but every little bit helps.
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

Return to “Airboat Tech”