Standard Warp Drive Hub or Stagared Plates which is better?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
rotator75
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Standard Warp Drive Hub or Stagared Plates which is better?

Post by rotator75 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 pm

I was wandering about taking my twelve blade and having Darrel at Warp drive make me a set of plates so i can run a front set of six blades and a back set of six which would be stagared,has anyone tried these and noticed better performance?I know the noise is supposed to be better on the stagared blades then the regular standard hub.Anyone that has any info glad to hear.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Standard Warp Drive Hub or Stagared Plates which is bett

Post by SwampMatt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:29 pm

I think you are describing the TURBO hub.

The front set of blades is slightly differently pitched... I can never remember if it's plus or minus 2°.... but the front set of blades sort of pre-compresses the bite of air and feeds it to the rear set of blades where it gets further pushed. Cool stuff. Supposed to be a big improvement. But I gotta say, set that pitch right.... my neighbor had a 12 blade turbo on his boat and he won't mess with the pitch that Alumitech set it at... and it's so annoyingly loud it sucks. I can sit in my back yard, and listen to him ride to places 3 miles away. So don't think it's automatically more quiet. Gotta be set right.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:50 pm

they are more quiet then std warps stagared is what i have. u are describing the TURBO hub.
as said warp drive says 2 deg difference in blades lead bld less trail more is what i was told .....
pic of my stg set up......
Attachments
PROP KIKI 002.jpg
PROP KIKI 002.jpg (113.95 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Utah Scooter
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Utah Scooter » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:06 am

The turbo hub has 3 prop plates and the front blades are between the front and middle plate and the back blades are between the back and middle plates. I think mine is quieter than a standard warp but what do I know my boat is pretty loud anyways. It pushes pretty good I think. It took about 8 trips out fiddling with the pitch to get it right so it was a pain to get it there but now it's good.
Custom built 14 x 7 'scooter' hull - red hot superslide poly - 2.12 rotator - 6 blade turbo warp drive - 383 stroker - rear deckover - deep sides - utah drivers seat -

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:52 am

Hey James, The stagger plates you have were designed by Dick Hoffmann and myself. The blade sets are 40 degrees apart and the lead blade should be 1 degree less than the trailing blade. ( or 1.125 degrees to be perfect but 1/8 of a degree is hard for most people to set ) If the lead blade is set at 8 degrees, set the trailing blade at 9 degrees. If someone has the regular 6 blade plates, ( where all the blades are 60 degrees apart,) they would set the blades 2 degrees differrent. Like 8-10-8-10-8-10. Then the prop will kick butt and produce less noise.
Thanks, Chuck

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:05 am

I played alot with my 6 blade on my 540 when I had it. I even set them in sets of 3 one at 6 next at 7 nect at 8 then back to 6 and on around. It was fun. It made a difference in the amount of sound it put out for sure...
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:24 pm

the true turbo warp has 2 different length blades. the front blades being longer and being the leading blade. the second blades being shorter. according to warp drive tech, they say set the back shorter blades 7 degrees more than the longer front blades. it works really good on our boat and doesn't have that warp drive whine.

rotator75
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rotator75 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Darryl at warp drive custom built my turbo prop plates for my 12blade,he said he had built lots of 8 blade and some 10 blade but this will be the first 12 blade,He told me to set the front set of six and start out 4 degrees more pitch in back six and fine tune with them dont bother the front 6,if this is true will be alot eaiser to set 6 instead of 12 for fine tuning,here is a pic of this hub setup,if any out there is running this I would love to hear from you.
Attachments
boat 044.jpg
boat 044.jpg (67.96 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
boat 043.jpg
boat 043.jpg (73.4 KiB) Viewed 1109 times

Utah Scooter
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Utah Scooter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:52 pm

I have my trailing blades set 2 degrees steeper. I thought that came straight from warp drive but maybe not?
Custom built 14 x 7 'scooter' hull - red hot superslide poly - 2.12 rotator - 6 blade turbo warp drive - 383 stroker - rear deckover - deep sides - utah drivers seat -

shiggs
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by shiggs » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:27 pm

I am running a similar setup. I am running 16 blades with the pitch 2 degrees greater on the trailing blades. Also the diameter on the leading is 2" greater than the rear. Basically it is set up like this 82" leading blades set at 15 degrees 80" trailing blades set at 17 degrees. None of the traditional warp buzz and the blades in pairs really act like wider blades bringing the push on at a lower rpm than most warps I have run. I am running it through a 2.68-1 with it holding the engine to 5400 rpm at wide open. I have heard others talk about 2 to 2.5 degrees difference being the sweet spot between the leading and trailing blades. I haven't done much tweaking to mine, since it pushes very well the way it is setup currently. I've never heard of the 7 degree difference being the bingo #, but let us know what you find once you start playing with it.

rotator75
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rotator75 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:40 pm

shiggs wrote:I am running a similar setup. I am running 16 blades with the pitch 2 degrees greater on the trailing blades. Also the diameter on the leading is 2" greater than the rear. Basically it is set up like this 82" leading blades set at 15 degrees 80" trailing blades set at 17 degrees. None of the traditional warp buzz and the blades in pairs really act like wider blades bringing the push on at a lower rpm than most warps I have run. I am running it through a 2.68-1 with it holding the engine to 5400 rpm at wide open. I have heard others talk about 2 to 2.5 degrees difference being the sweet spot between the leading and trailing blades. I haven't done much tweaking to mine, since it pushes very well the way it is setup currently. I've never heard of the 7 degree difference being the bingo #, but let us know what you find once you start playing with it.

Wow I love your set up,That is a good amount of pitch your running,What motor do you have?Thanks for the pics and info,I will let you know when I get done playing with it,very sweet setup you have. :)

shiggs
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by shiggs » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks.

I have a 572 spinning those blades. Interesting that a few folks got different info on the pitch variation between the leading and trailing blades. Of course, I am only referencing the hubs where the blades do not run in the same plane. Everyone I've talked to seems to think 2-2.5 degrees difference. If you followed the fellow's advice from Warp Drive, you could possible end up with much bigger variation than that depending on where you initially set your leading blades. Hammerhead said in the earlier post about the warp tech telling him 7 degrees variation. I will be interested to see what conclusion you arrive at.

For years now I've pondered the idea about building a thrust test machine similar to Felber/Thunder to prove/disprove these theories, but I would really need to be in the business of selling boats/motors to justify that cost.

rotator75
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rotator75 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:27 pm

shiggs wrote:Thanks.

I have a 572 spinning those blades. Interesting that a few folks got different info on the pitch variation between the leading and trailing blades. Of course, I am only referencing the hubs where the blades do not run in the same plane. Everyone I've talked to seems to think 2-2.5 degrees difference. If you followed the fellow's advice from Warp Drive, you could possible end up with much bigger variation than that depending on where you initially set your leading blades. Hammerhead said in the earlier post about the warp tech telling him 7 degrees variation. I will be interested to see what conclusion you arrive at.

For years now I've pondered the idea about building a thrust test machine similar to Felber/Thunder to prove/disprove these theories, but I would really need to be in the business of selling boats/motors to justify that cost.
Well i got a 496 turning mine around 650hp on a 16ft glass boat so im un sure where I will end up on pitch but Daryl sure felt like 4 degrees differnce from front to rear is where I would need to be in the end.Im going to play with it alot until I get the max performance out of it,I thank you for all your info,ill pm you after I get it tuned in.

mmuscott
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mmuscott » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:49 am

Have you found the sweet spot for it yet?

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:10 pm

rotator75 wrote:Darryl at warp drive custom built my turbo prop plates for my 12blade,he said he had built lots of 8 blade and some 10 blade but this will be the first 12 blade,He told me to set the front set of six and start out 4 degrees more pitch in back six and fine tune with them dont bother the front 6,if this is true will be alot eaiser to set 6 instead of 12 for fine tuning,here is a pic of this hub setup,if any out there is running this I would love to hear from you.
I wonder what's so custom about it. I mean: the fact that it's 12 blades, or some other custom feature about it. My neighbor a couple doors down from me has a 12 blade turbo on his boat (454 with a reduction - not sure what ratio) and he's had that thing on for the last 3 years AT LEAST. And it was a used prop when he got it. Maybe someone besides Darryl made the hub or something.

rotator75
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rotator75 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 pm

mmuscott wrote:Have you found the sweet spot for it yet?
Ive got it set at 8 degrees on front 6 blades and 10 on back set,workn great for me there,will cruise at 2500RPM and it also very quite and absolutly no vibration,smoothest setup Ive ever had,Love it. :toothy7:

T. Gaffney
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by T. Gaffney » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:19 am

moodfood wrote:
rotator75 wrote:Darryl at warp drive custom built my turbo prop plates for my 12blade,he said he had built lots of 8 blade and some 10 blade but this will be the first 12 blade,He told me to set the front set of six and start out 4 degrees more pitch in back six and fine tune with them dont bother the front 6,if this is true will be alot eaiser to set 6 instead of 12 for fine tuning,here is a pic of this hub setup,if any out there is running this I would love to hear from you.
I wonder what's so custom about it. I mean: the fact that it's 12 blades, or some other custom feature about it. My neighbor a couple doors down from me has a 12 blade turbo on his boat (454 with a reduction - not sure what ratio) and he's had that thing on for the last 3 years AT LEAST. And it was a used prop when he got it. Maybe someone besides Darryl made the hub or something.
From what I understand, Panther invented the turbo hub not warp drive. I know Dad's demo had them some years ago. Pretty sure they make the hubs at Panther too.

Return to “Airboat Tech”