Airboat Overhaul

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Airboat Overhaul

Postby rost495 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:00 pm

belly_up wrote:He had a professional blast the boat for him, I believe the guy had a pretty big blasting rig and compressor.

Machala?

one_shot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby one_shot » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

rost495 wrote:
belly_up wrote:He had a professional blast the boat for him, I believe the guy had a pretty big blasting rig and compressor.

Machala?

Guys last name was Von minden. Not sure what his first name is, but he goes by Twinkie

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Twinkie in Plum?

one_shot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby one_shot » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:43 pm

rost495 wrote:Twinkie in Plum?

Yes, right across from dodge

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:52 am

Gotcha.... now that I'm reading sandblasting is a no no, I'll probably look further.

Jeff

one_shot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby one_shot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:03 am

rost495 wrote:Gotcha.... now that I'm reading sandblasting is a no no, I'll probably look further.

Jeff

Just curious, but what's wrong with sandblasting?

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:08 am

just some opinions.... read the tx forum, under sandblasting... seems like you can get to aggressive, open the pores too much and or warp the hull. From the looks of it, seems like yours is fine.

Do any good bowfishing?

one_shot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby one_shot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 am

rost495 wrote:just some opinions.... read the tx forum, under sandblasting... seems like you can get to aggressive, open the pores too much and or warp the hull. From the looks of it, seems like yours is fine.

Do any good bowfishing?

Makes since if it was blasted to hard. I could still see a light paint coat left in some places on my boat. I bet the size of sand used plays a big part in how it affects the aluminum.

We did pretty good, it's not as many fish like in the summer, but it was still fun as hell. Had a few complaints about the noise though :dontknow: Guess I will have to start fishing in town some now.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:08 pm

Who RE noise? Fish in town here, you'll really get complaints... one guy lives up on Eblin north of the football field, works for us, and bitches every time... but never complains about an airplane flying over....

On idle or slow they are not loud anyway....

shiggs
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby shiggs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Great Job! :thumbleft: Looks very good and I know you have to be proud.

Jeff--We had one of the Bro-in-law's boats from Rockne blasted to bare. I will find out what they used in the blasting process. It did not warp or porous the aluminum. I performed the whole process of cleaning--etching--alodine--PPG primer etching/sealing--PPG urethane(topcoat metallic single stage)--then webbed the inside. That was about 5 years ago and it still looks brand new. I did not spray a filler primer and sand--If it was going to a show maybe, but I would have then most likely chosen a basecoat/clearcoat system. I will see if I can dig up some pics.

one_shot
Southern Airboat Member

Postby one_shot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 pm

rost495 wrote:Who RE noise? Fish in town here, you'll really get complaints... one guy lives up on Eblin north of the football field, works for us, and bitches every time... but never complains about an airplane flying over....

On idle or slow they are not loud anyway....

I drive through 2 different properties to get to where I lauch and 1 of the land owners called last night saying the neighbors were complaining about all the noise. We idled down stream about 7 miles then drove back up. 95 % of the time the engine was at idle except for where it would get really shallow and I would have to drive to deeper water. I don't want to tick everyone off and give airboats a bad name and risk losing my place on the river even though the land owner said he doesn't care. In town I'm not worried as much as I am at my place about people complaining since there's more airboats including the game warden, but if all possible I would like to keep peace.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Excellent job! Its about keeping the peace much as you can. Yet folks live next to train tracks, planes and copters go over etc.... Some would complain about anything.

I know how bowfishing is on the river.. most times at idle, but you have to get past and over some places... and when running back etc.... just enough to get up on plane and cruise.... Thats the way to do it.

I got jumped on once at Sommerville, bowfishing at night and I told the park ranger, nope, my boat was on the bank on dry ground by 6pm and never started till 10am. I wouldn't bowfish around campsites... there are plenty other places to do it, but some will. While I say I won't by campsite, I will across coves, but there its mostly only idle all the time... but there are smarter places to bowfish at night.... in fact by campsites in the day we could have shot more carp than the one boat shot that night.....

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby hmgm123 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Crushed walnut shells are great for blasting, it will not hurt the metal.

airboater67
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby airboater67 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Very nice job! Looks very thought out and proffesional. Damn good job on the rake. used all the spaces.

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby cuban cracker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Awesome restore! Have fun on that bad boy. I won't be done till summer got my airfoil rudders though so moving along for me. Congrats and have fun on that rig.
I took the RED PILL and am staying in wonderland to see how deep the rabbit hole goes!

And boy is it deep!

Return to “Airboat Tech”