"NGH" VS. "Q"

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
mudholian
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

"NGH" VS. "Q"

Post by mudholian »

Would like to hear opinions from people with experence that have tried both props. What one pushes harder? I am running a 70 NGH and am thinking about trying out the trusty "Q" Loking for more push, not worried about speed. Any info would be appreciated.

gator7272
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: "NGH" VS. "Q"

Post by gator7272 »

Gonna be the Q for me, like you, i'm lookin' for bulldoze power
11.5 X 7.5 Alumitech
2.0 Ecotec LTG
2.38:1 Ballistic
3 Blade Whirlwind 2.0

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

mud i havent ran the ngh i had got the reg h because i ran it b4 on my caddie and loved it but the reg h doent push as hard as my q it offers more but no where near the push ... ive seen a few boat on the river with the 2 bld ngh and the people that had them said they liked them but wished they pushed harder... if i dont sell my boat i may end up with another q :wink:
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

MilkManDan
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MilkManDan »

I have never understood how speed doesn't equal more push. Logic tells me the more speed, the more push. It all comes down to total thrust. Maybe someone will teach me so I understand.

As for the ngh, it has more mid range than the old h does. My cruise droped when I went to the ngh from the old h. As for the q, It felt strong down low but fell flat on top. Now I have never done any thrust testing, but to me the ngh felt better on my heavy boat. I think every boat has its own circumstances, weight, motor, and what the driver likes. All this has to be taken into consideration and you have to try it and find out what your happy with.

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

MilkManDan wrote:I have never understood how speed doesn't equal more push. Logic tells me the more speed, the more push.

As for the q, It felt strong down low but fell flat on top.
ain't that a contradiction :lol: :lol:

I have played with both NGH and Q blades, the NGH blades are narrower then a Q but wider then a H, therefore giving a little more snap but requiring more RPM if I was going to buy new blades and be one of those two I personally would get the longest Q blades my boat could handle
Last edited by goldhunter_2 on Wed May 18, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Dixiedog60
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dixiedog60 »

I have ran both and must say I like the NGH better except on my 16x8 heavy fishing boat where the Q seams to grunt it on plane quicker. I just put a three blade NGH on a 13 ' jimmy white w/SO-480 lyc. Wow! hang on to your hat! Great push and snap,Really like the quiet cruise mode too The boat will ride free in deep water @ 1600 rpm and is super quiet..
:usa:
Freedom is Abridged by Silent Encroachment.---James Madison

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DAGWOOD0520 »

I would PM Cracker, he has ran both and could give you real good info based on his upstack.

tgallo
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by tgallo »

I have got a solution for you. I have a brand new 70 q on my 200 and I would like to try the ngh, lets meet up and swap blades and ride for the day. Nothing is better then first hand experience! Or if you would like you can just come and borrow my blades and try them when ever you want! Travis
My drinking team has a fishing problem!

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

now not being silly here LOL .. but doesn't the NGH stand for new generation H ... and wasn't the H narrower than The Q ... and a narrow blade needs to turn up more to make more thrust hence the reasoning that the Q pushes more down low and the H gives more on top end ??? I don't think the NGH and the Q were or are the same class of prop for the same engine but that is just my opinion ...
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator »

cntry141iq wrote:now not being silly here LOL .. but doesn't the NGH stand for new generation H ... and wasn't the H narrower than The Q ... and a narrow blade needs to turn up more to make more thrust hence the reasoning that the Q pushes more down low and the H gives more on top end ??? I don't think the NGH and the Q were or are the same class of prop for the same engine but that is just my opinion ...
Country it ain't even fun to talk about when you break it all down smart like that.... :lol:

Dixiedog60
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dixiedog60 »

They are close IMO. My 200hp Lyc. will spin both to 3k set a little over #2. The Ngh just really does much better building speed, The same boat was almost 10mph faster with the NGH over the Q . The Q does not build speed over about 2.75 k on my boat. :salute:
Freedom is Abridged by Silent Encroachment.---James Madison

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

that might be because at that rpm you are exceeding the design rpm for power .. not to be confused with max rpm which is a safety factor and has nothing to do with performance ... all sensenitch blades have the same size shank ... (except the sabre) so from a safety stand point the wide blades and longer blades are rated with lower max rpms ... so the shank doesn't fail ... the blade design however .. using the S blades as an example may cause the prop to stop performing before the max rpm is reached .. I think 2400 is about the safe rpm for the S blades however most will tell ya turning them over 2000 is a waste of gas because the push doesn't increase enough to be worth it. Everybody gets to thinkin max rpm is what they want to turn one and that has nothing to do with perfromance quite often .. now there are always exceptions so when so and so gets on here and says I tirn my s blades 6000 rpms and they push like crazy .. well just keep that in mind there are exceptions. And as for race boats vs ride boats remember a race boat gives it all it has in 400' a ride boat keeps going for miles, hopefully, they are not comparable or applicable to each other. A race boat never gets stuck and just stands on it letting static thrust build up .. they hit it and get moving making the switch to dynamic thrust loads which are hugely different on shanks and the rest of the stuff.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

billybob
Southern Airboat Member

Post by billybob »

I have ran both on my boat just recently. 14" full heavy a$$ deckover with an A/V 0-540. The NGH produces more wide open thrust but is weak on the bottom compared to the Q. The Q just produces more push down low and has lower cruise RPM. I ran the NGH in a 72" and My Q is a 74".
I do all my own stunts!!!!!!

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

just try my "Q" cornhole! you know what it does to that cottonmouth!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

hogdoggin
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hogdoggin »

I've run both and agree with most everyone above. The Q pushed my boat on good hard dry ground at 1500 Rpms when I put the NGH on it moved on dry at 1800 TO 2000 rpm i ran them back to back on the same dry ground. Now keep in mind i also went from a 2blade Q to a 3 Blade NGH. One thing i will say is i love how quiet the NGH is. I would like to try a 3 blade Q just not sure if my straight valve 0540 will swing it.

airboat470
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat470 »

hogdoggin wrote:I've run both and agree with most everyone above. The Q pushed my boat on good hard dry ground at 1500 Rpms when I put the NGH on it moved on dry at 1800 TO 2000 rpm i ran them back to back on the same dry ground. Now keep in mind i also went from a 2blade Q to a 3 Blade NGH. One thing i will say is i love how quiet the NGH is. I would like to try a 3 blade Q just not sure if my straight valve 0540 will swing it.
Your straight valve should swing it no porblem. My dad runs a 3 blade 72in Q on his a/v 470. Its on the 1 and a half mark and he turns it right at 3000. :thumbleft:
When in doubt floor it!
11'8 Step 0-470-11....

mudholian
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by mudholian »

tgallo, I appreciate the offer. I will be at the memoral day ride and you are more than welcome to try my blades. I talked to Dantheairboatman today and he is bringing me a set of Q blades to try out for a few days. Let me know if you are comming and I will bring them with me.

Yes fl cracker, I know I should take you up on the offer and I do know what they do with that snake, stop rubbing it in!!! LMAO If I dont have them by next weekend, we will swap out. If it does what I think it will do, you might not get them back...

Appreciate all the comments and information, keep them comming.

Champ18ft
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Champ18ft »

I have a AV 0540 with a 74" Q. To me it's like a bull dozer. Lots of low end push.
13-5' Gilleo Lazer 0-540 A/V 74" Q
ImageImage

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

I have a 74" Q series on my boat and it is a BEAST!I let a friend borrow it and I have his 3blade 72" h series right now and you couldn't chase me down and give me that prop.It has good top end but that is it!And it doesn't beat the Q by much there.I hace also ran a 3 blade 72 Q and a 2 blade 72" Q along with a 72" 6 blade warp, and out of all them I will take the 74" 2 blade any day of the week hands down.The only thing I can say for the Warpdrive is they are silky smooth.But every boat is diffrent, as is every driver.So to each his own.

jre1226
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jre1226 »

billybob wrote:I have ran both on my boat just recently. 14" full heavy a$$ deckover with an A/V 0-540. The NGH produces more wide open thrust but is weak on the bottom compared to the Q. The Q just produces more push down low and has lower cruise RPM. I ran the NGH in a 72" and My Q is a 74".
Did you run 3 blade NGH or a 2 blade I was looking at your pix and my boat is almost identical to yours so the info you have can be very useful to me my biggest concern is breaking free and climbing levies I am running a 72 q and when I get stuck it just doesn't seem to want to move even after getting all the weight off and shaking the rudders

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

i tell u what i went on a long as ride today and man that dame h hurt my ears im kinda piss i let the q get away ... hell the 6 bld starggerd warp i had dident hurt my ears like this h does .......first time i really put a drive on it was today trying to help seat the rings still.... i may end up with a q again it lacks on topend but id rather bulldoz then race :D
i run less rpms with the 3 bld h on the water with 3 people i cruise at 1800 the q took around 2000 or so to cruise and dident plain out as fast ....but on the ground the q wins if i keep my boat their will be a q back on it .....
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator »

Thats weird JAMES.....I would think that if the q had more low end grunt, then it would get on plain quicker.....That is what I am looking for, hit the gas, get on plane and get the hell back out of the gas.....So If I am reading your post right the H actually gets u on plane quicker? That seems odd.....Thanks for posting it though.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

C1gator wrote:Thats weird JAMES.....I would think that if the q had more low end grunt, then it would get on plain quicker.....That is what I am looking for, hit the gas, get on plane and get the hell back out of the gas.....So If I am reading your post right the H actually gets u on plane quicker? That seems odd.....Thanks for posting it though.
C1GATOR YOU CAN READ MY OTHER POST IVE HAD A LOT OF PROPS AND ILL SAY IT AGAIN THE Q IS A PUSHER JMO OFFERS NOTHING ELSE THE H OFFERS MORE IN OTHER AREAS ( SPEED)TOPEND AND MILD PUSH NO WHERE NEAR THE Q "JMO"
THE H PLAINS FASTER BECAUSE IT SNAPS HARDER THE Q BLDS ARE WIDER AND TAKE LONGER TO WINE UP NO RUNNING BOTH THE Q AND H PROP TO PROP FOR BEST RESUALTS THE H WINS IT (OFFERS MORE) BUT THE Q HAS PUSH THAT COME AT A WAY LOWER RPM ON THE GROUND BUT DOESNT RUN IN THE WATER THE SAME AS THE H MAYBE 200 RPMS HIGHER OR SO WITH A LOAD .. THE Q FOR ANY DD OR BIGGER BOAT AND ANY BOAT WHO WANTS TO BULL DOZE WHO DONT CARE ABOUT SPEED AND LIKES THE SOUND OF THE PROP WHISLEING ........THE H FOR THE AVG. EVERYDAY USE BOAT OR BOATS WHO LOVE SPEED OR FOR BOATS WHO RIDES LOTS OF SKINNY WATER WITH TRAILS LOTS OF SNAP TO GET U OUTTA STICKIE SITUATIONS ..JMO AND THIS MORNING MY DAME EARS STILL RINGING SO LET ME ADD THE H IS GEAT FOR PEOPLE WHO WEAR EAR MUFFS OR DEFF FOLKS DIDENT RELIZE THE SOUND OF THE H ON A LONG RIDE CRUSIE AROUND 1800-1900 RPMS MAN I SHOULD OF PUT THEM UGLY AS EAR MUFF ON :wink:

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator »

JAMES wrote:
C1gator wrote:Thats weird JAMES.....I would think that if the q had more low end grunt, then it would get on plain quicker.....That is what I am looking for, hit the gas, get on plane and get the hell back out of the gas.....So If I am reading your post right the H actually gets u on plane quicker? That seems odd.....Thanks for posting it though.
C1GATOR YOU CAN READ MY OTHER POST IVE HAD A LOT OF PROPS AND ILL SAY IT AGAIN THE Q IS A PUSHER JMO OFFERS NOTHING ELSE THE H OFFERS MORE IN OTHER AREAS ( SPEED)TOPEND AND MILD PUSH NO WHERE NEAR THE Q "JMO"
THE H PLAINS FASTER BECAUSE IT SNAPS HARDER THE Q BLDS ARE WIDER AND TAKE LONGER TO WINE UP NO RUNNING BOTH THE Q AND H PROP TO PROP FOR BEST RESUALTS THE H WINS IT (OFFERS MORE) BUT THE Q HAS PUSH THAT COME AT A WAY LOWER RPM ON THE GROUND BUT DOESNT RUN IN THE WATER THE SAME AS THE H MAYBE 200 RPMS HIGHER OR SO WITH A LOAD .. THE Q FOR ANY DD OR BIGGER BOAT AND ANY BOAT WHO WANTS TO BULL DOZE WHO DONT CARE ABOUT SPEED AND LIKES THE SOUND OF THE PROP WHISLEING ........THE H FOR THE AVG. EVERYDAY USE BOAT OR BOATS WHO LOVE SPEED OR FOR BOATS WHO RIDES LOTS OF SKINNY WATER WITH TRAILS LOTS OF SNAP TO GET U OUTTA STICKIE SITUATIONS ..JMO AND THIS MORNING MY DAME EARS STILL RINGING SO LET ME ADD THE H IS GEAT FOR PEOPLE WHO WEAR EAR MUFFS OR DEFF FOLKS DIDENT RELIZE THE SOUND OF THE H ON A LONG RIDE CRUSIE AROUND 1800-1900 RPMS MAN I SHOULD OF PUT THEM UGLY AS EAR MUFF ON :wink:
I got u...I've never run either one so I dont have a clue....Not argueing with u, just trying to comprehend that if the Q runs better on the hill, and has more low end grunt, then it seems it would get on plane quicker....Just trying to figure it out....I'm still running the Woodie on my caddy.....I really dont have a problem with it, I just think it would get on plane quicker if it was swinging a carbon fiber rather than a woodie....Now just to figure out which one...lol....probably a 2 blade whisper tip or q, would get it done....

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

GATOR TO BE HONEST NONE OF THE PROPS IVE RAN PLAIN FASTER THEN MY 72/42 I HAD IT WAS A STICK :wink: VERY IMPRESSIVE WOOD PROP FO SHO!

Return to “Airboat Tech”