how big a boat do I need to use my corvair motor with 60"x28

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
dick2256
Southern Airboat Member

how big a boat do I need to use my corvair motor with 60"x28

Post by dick2256 »

prop 60"x28 pitch
If I use an aluminum boat 12 feet long which I have
but it is only 44" wide on bottom I intend to cut the boat intwo lenth ways and add enough width in the center to the two sides I have used the motor on a 16 foot alum with a five foot bottom and it worked great
but didn't need that much length
would 6 feet bottom width for 8 feet be wide enough or do you think I need 6 foot 6 inches it has a 44 inch width bottom for 8 feet and then it narrows down toward the front for the last 4 feet.
just use for fishing and only want a 2 man craft

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: how big a boat do I need to use my corvair motor with 60

Post by cntry141iq »

we used to do stuff like that way back in the day ... before fiberglass hulls were so cheap and easy LOL nowadays I would say use the 16' it is quick and dirty and you said it worked good ??? why re-invent the wheel it already rolls along ... just a thought
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

dick2256
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dick2256 »

cntry141iq wrote:we used to do stuff like that way back in the day ... before fiberglass hulls were so cheap and easy LOL nowadays I would say use the 16' it is quick and dirty and you said it worked good ??? why re-invent the wheel it already rolls along ... just a thought
the 16 is long gone this motor has been just setting for 15 plus years and is running so good I decided to use it at least this year I am 78 years old and I believe I will go with the 14 foot cut to about 11 foot length and go with a 6 ft 6 inch bottom may not be the best but if I get one summer out of it so be it.
I have run that corvair on a 14ft x 44" bottom but was a little shaky if I turned to the right the clockwise rotation would suck the boat under but wasn't all bad was running a very shallow sandy river so then I would drain the oil and change it until next time I put it back in the river.

dick2256
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dick2256 »

dick2256 wrote:
cntry141iq wrote:we used to do stuff like that way back in the day ... before fiberglass hulls were so cheap and easy LOL nowadays I would say use the 16' it is quick and dirty and you said it worked good ??? why re-invent the wheel it already rolls along ... just a thought
the 16 is long gone this motor has been just setting for 15 plus years and is running so good I decided to use it at least this year I am 78 years old and I believe I will go with the 14 foot cut to about 11 foot length and go with a 6 ft 6 inch bottom may not be the best but if I get one summer out of it so be it.
I have run that corvair on a 14ft x 44" bottom but was a little shaky if I turned to the right the clockwise rotation would suck the boat under but wasn't all bad was running a very shallow sandy river so then I would drain the oil and change it until next time I put it back in the river.
and besides I use 3-4 gallon of gas an hour and have a lot of cheap fun.
Dick

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

good deal ... at 78 if you got that much energy do anything ya want to lol
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

dick2256
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dick2256 »

dick2256 wrote:
dick2256 wrote:
and besides I use 3-4 gallon of gas an hour and have a lot of cheap fun.
Dick
thanks I am going to do that
been nice talking to you.

dick2256
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dick2256 »

a picture of the boat I am widening for my corvair
Attachments
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg (53.61 KiB) Viewed 767 times

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

yep I remember them days LOL ... then one time we ran out of jon boats so we jsut bolted one up from scratch .. didn't have a riveter or big enough air compressor. Then along came fiberglass airboats ... been ruint ever since ...

dick2256
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dick2256 »

cntry141iq wrote:yep I remember them days LOL ... then one time we ran out of jon boats so we jsut bolted one up from scratch .. didn't have a riveter or big enough air compressor. Then along came fiberglass airboats ... been ruint ever since ...
my sister has a lot of polymer
that her husband got from a packing house they were tearing down used it for cutting boards
how do I handle the space which is a half inch from floor to top of each v bend that they used for added strength?
do they make a foam that would work as a filler?
would a rigid foam piece glued between each rib be strong enough or would the rivets flex and come loose?
we have a bed of rocks close to the bridge and in july there is 4 to 6 inches of water over the rock and you have to go full throtle and still occasionally hit a rock only about 200 feet and then it is ok again.
could use some help with that problem.
Dick

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

not a fan of foam below the waterline .. although claimed to be closed cell and not absorb water .. well that hasn't been my finding. I don't realy have any suggestions as to filling in the area ... the poly will not stop the dents just help prevent punctures and make things slicker. One option might be to just poly over the ribs .. the hook you may see discussed on here is usually caused by a horizontal (sideways) dip across the hull surface. a dipped area running the length of the hull probably wold not be such a problem. the water that would get between the hull and the polymer is only heavy when you take the hull out of the water and if it can drain out at the rear/transom area probably wouldn't be a problem. We didn't have polymer back in the day ... we had steelflex we painted on.

dick2256
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dick2256 »

dick2256 wrote:
cntry141iq wrote:yep I remember them days LOL ... then one time we ran out of jon boats so we jsut bolted one up from scratch .. didn't have a riveter or big enough air compressor. Then along came fiberglass airboats ... been ruint ever since ...
my sister has a lot of polymer
that her husband got from a packing house they were tearing down used it for cutting boards
how do I handle the space which is a half inch from floor to top of each v bend that they used for added strength?
do they make a foam that would work as a filler?
would a rigid foam piece glued between each rib be strong enough or would the rivets flex and come loose?
we have a bed of rocks close to the bridge and in july there is 4 to 6 inches of water over the rock and you have to go full throtle and still occasionally hit a rock only about 200 feet and then it is ok again.
could use some help with that problem.
Dick
If I would go that route looks to me like if I covered the rear 8 feet with polymer that would be all I would need
that is where all of the weight is and that is where every boat I used would take the beating,
what is your thought on that? I would bevel the front of the poly so it would cut the water easier and then use aluminum spacers to either bolt or rivet the polymer to the bottom
this stuff is a half inch thick, thicker than I want but it is free so will use it anyway.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

uncharted ground for me ... try it and let us know how it works out for you ... dont know what else to say .. you are right it is heavy but if free well hell that makes it an eassy decision

Return to “Airboat Tech”