Going from glass to alum hull ?'s

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Going from glass to alum hull ?'s

Post by josh_2562 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:49 pm

I have a nice set of rigging for a fiberglass hull. I like the way it's set up. I'm thinking of going to a alum hull because I run the gulf most of the time. Can I use my rigging in a alum hull. Not sure what brand I'm going to go with but it will be a new hull. What's a good size hull for a lycoming 160 with seating for 2? Thanks for the help

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Going from glass to alum hull ?'s

Post by cntry141iq » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 pm

yes just tell the company making your hull nthat you need runners for what ever spacing your current rig is ... best to take the boat to them whole and let them make the measurements for ya. little boat and the gulf usally do not go together well but it can be done .. I would suggest alumitech myself
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

chargedupoutlaw
Southern Airboat Member

Post by chargedupoutlaw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:43 am

u can use it u may need to cut strapps off bottom depending on how it was bolted ,, sometimes have to weld angle to bottom of rig ,, ive done it alot of times ! as far as size we usally go 12 0r 12 -6 x 7 on 4 cyl ,, but where u ride u prob need to go bigger , and if u dont run dry alot prob wouldnt hurt to go bigger... still run water great..
JB AIRBOATS/// outlaw custom hulls and rigging/// josh bunnell

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:47 am

As cntry said.. People actually request stringer width to be specific to their builds all the time.. The manufacturer can space them out however you like... They will normally have to add a stringer or two to make them even all the way across, but is done all the time..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 am

in the process of it now. took my glass hull with riggin to chargedupoutlaw he measured my riggin and is building my hull so i can drop the riggin in.just a little modification was needed to my riggin not much.
If life looks hairy in front of you! Shave it and put a condom on.

josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by josh_2562 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks for the help guys. I think a 12x7 or7'6 is what I'm going to be looking for. I started off in the gulf with a 8x4 mini. Where I run it never gets over 4' deep. Now to pick a builder. Any one know the going price for a new alum hull with 1/4 poly. I like the way the jb hulls and hamant's look. Thanks for the help

Return to “Airboat Tech”