Rudder Controls Question

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Rudder Controls Question

Post by rost495 »

Mine has the main shaft out of 1 inch EMT. The first one that came with the used boat cracked. So I welded up an exact copy. That one broke in half on the horizontal part right next to a pillow block.

I was hoping to find same OD in galv but 1 inch galv is way bigger than 1 inch EMT.

I have no clue why it breaks, other than there are 2 holes either side of the pillow block for cotter pins. I"m sure thats making a weak spot.

I welded the thing back togehter the other day but I don't feel right about trusting that.

Can I get 1 inch OD Galv pipe to weld to EMT frame, or can I get pillow blocks big enough for the 1 inch galv pipe?
akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Rudder Controls Question

Post by akblackdawg »

mine broke this fall while cranking it back and fourth in a mudhole, just kinda kinked and bent over just above the brace on it. mine is 1" emt, and had a piece of smaller tubing at the handle end with a grip on it. I pealed off the grip and stuck it in the hole upside down and used it that way till the end of hunt season. when I fixed it, I took a 18-24" piece of 3/4 emt and slid it inside the old handle and base and welded it in place, it gives additional support, very little weight added, and best part was easy. still need to get a bicycle grip for the end of the orgional handle. Bud
ps: may have been 3/4 and 1/2, just guessing about the size
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska
dwhittaker44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dwhittaker44 »

I would get steal or aluminum shaft about 6 inches long and the same outside diameter as your EMT . Use lave to turn half of the shaft down to the inside diameter. Drive shaft in to EMT . If you use steal shaft you can weld or braze in place. If you use aluminum you can use pop ribets. GOOD LUCK Dennis
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

dont matter what material u use if not welded right its gonna break and being on an airboat it gonna crack and lead to breaking emt is galv. so yes u can weld anything to it that in the steel family emt has proved its self for many of yrs on airboats .... i 100% trust it even for a motor stand has several of them and all was good
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator
dwhittaker44
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dwhittaker44 »

James weld will have nearly no load on it. The stress will be on the 4-6 inches of shaft that you drive in the EMT and The solid shaft in the bearing. Dennis
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

You are saying the solid piece goes inside the 1 inch EMT basically where it sits in the first pillow block then?

I'll have to see if the one machine shop we have can do something like that.

Thanks!

James, no weld was involved at all when the shaft broke the first time, exactly like AK bent and broke his, I was stuck 9 months ago in sand.... it just took 9 more months to break...
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

Let's see some pics of it.
cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

when y'all get stuck the term "shakin the rudders" really doesn't mean shaking them like you think ... obviously some of you have found this out. I always use full rudder full throttle uin one direction until I feel some movement, hopefully, and then go full rudder the other direction. But will never just sit on the boat and jerk the rudder stick back and forth fast .. all you are going to do is break the rudder stuff ... watch you cage flex when you do that and it will make a believer out of you ... just a thought
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately
akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

cntry141iq wrote:when y'all get stuck the term "shakin the rudders" really doesn't mean shaking them like you think ... obviously some of you have found this out. I always use full rudder full throttle uin one direction until I feel some movement, hopefully, and then go full rudder the other direction. But will never just sit on the boat and jerk the rudder stick back and forth fast .. all you are going to do is break the rudder stuff ... watch you cage flex when you do that and it will make a believer out of you ... just a thought
TY Cntry, here I've been taking that shaking thing litterly. When stuck I crank that thing back and fourth like my life depended on it, guess that is why I broke my stick this fall. I'll try it your way next time. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska
cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

well it doesn't always work .. but usually if it doesn't then neither will the other way ... LOL and at least you won't need to repair the boat just get a pull back to the slickery stuff
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately
dick2256
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dick2256 »

cntry141iq wrote:well it doesn't always work .. but usually if it doesn't then neither will the other way ... LOL and at least you won't need to repair the boat just get a pull back to the slickery stuff
get a corvair and never get stuck :lol:

Return to “Airboat Tech”